Nobel Literature Prize Speculation: Jon Fosse

Myshkin

http://www.nobelpriz...ates/index.html

1901-1983: the list is (almost) excellent

1984-2011: blah

Pynchon: I love conspiracy theories.

There are some brilliant, brilliant authors from the past 30 years or so. Mahfouz, Vargas Llosa, Saramago, and Oe in particular are favorites and compare very favorably to the very best of the first 80 years or so of the award. I say this as one who's read or owns at least one book by close to three-quarters of the authors listed.

I'm about halfway through The Piano Teacher. I'll give you my thoughts on Jelinek's Nobel Prize once I'm done.

Would be interested to read your thoughts on this one. She's one those authors who caused Ahnlund to leave the Academy.

I would be very pleased if either Rushdie or Murakami took the Prize. I love both of their writings. I've only read short stories by Munro, but the few I've read were magnificent. Sadly, I've not been reading much for fun in the last year or so. I see Roth books all over used bookstores, should I be picking them up? I don't know how to discern - Dan Brown books are also all over these stores.

I have not read the latest Roth books (which must be remedied ASAP), but I love the stuff he wrote in the 90s. (The Human Stain, American Pastoral, I Married A Communist). I started with Portnoy's Complaint though, which was a hoot. That he's still writing quality books all these years really amazes me.

Aside from Roth, the other American writer I want to be given this prize is Ray Bradbury.

Edited by Eyelesbarrow

First, who cares who will win the Nobel Prize in literature?

Um, you apparently. Evidenced by this:

(By the way, is Krasznahorkai László (Satantango, The Melancholy of Resistance) on the list?)

To answer though, 210 people are currently in the running, so it's quite possible. We won't know for 50 years.

Daniel Woodrell. Though he is american which apparently doesn't help. What's the history with the Nobels bias against U.S writers? I'm not exactly clued up on lit awards.

Former Swedish Academy permanent secretary Horace Engdahl had some bad things to say about American literature a few years ago. It basically boiled down to Americans being "too isolated, too insular". Some people think he was just trying to stir the pot, but considering the Eurocentric choices made during his time as permanent secretary it's hard to believe he's not biased against Americans.

Would be interested to read your thoughts on this one. She's one those authors who caused Ahnlund to leave the Academy.

I gotta say that I never really believed that Ahnlund left due to Jelinek's selection. Two things to take into account: 1) You can't actually leave the Academy. Your seat remains empty until your death; and 2) Ahnlund "left" the Academy in 1996. Combine these two facts and you find the Ahnlund's 2005 "leaving" of the Academy was a completely empty gesture. I think he's used Jelinek as a stepping stone in a desperate bid to regain some relevancy.

As for Jelinek, I'm still not done reading her book, so I don't feel qualified to comment on her. But barring a complete derailment in the next 100 pages, it's one hell of a book.

Myshkin, I have really enjoyed your OP and you input in general in this an many other threads. Thoughtful and succinct. So forgive this imminent debasement of the thread; but Horace Engdahl can suck on a chode. I read the statement in it's entirety in swedish and whoever did the translation is doing Engdahl favors. To disregard US authors such as Roth and Pynchon for such sweeping reasons is pretty idiotic.

I have definitely lost much of my respect for the award, just disillusioned really - and not just for the politisizing, though I can't say I'm not interested to see who wins this year. Roberto Bolano would have been my favourite. Alas.

Don't give up hope just yet, Engdahl is no longer permanent secretary. Peter Englund is now permanent secretary, and he both rejects Engdahl's view on American lit, and recognizes that the Eurocentric nature of the prize is a problem.

I was hoping Larry would have something to say about my take on Dylan. You've disappointed me DF! Anyway, a few more authors for consideration:

George R.R. Martin: Another American, but this one's got a chance. GRRM is super hot right now, and he has the Rushdie bump. And no one can argue the impact ASoIaF has had on all aspects of life as we know it. Late last year Feodor Dostoevsky rose from the grave and said, "George R.R. Martin is better than Hugo, Mann, and me all rolled into one". If you need further proof of GRRM's greatness just read this thread.

JK Rowling: She's English, which I think makes her European, so no problems there. And she's sold a shitload of books. I read last year that 57% of all books ever sold in the history of human civilization were written by Rowling. Plus she gets the all important 14 year old vote. If she doesn't get the prize this year we know it's only because the Academy members are jealous of her.

Stieg Larsson: I've never read any of his books, but I saw one of his movies, I think. It was pretty good, but it was in some foreign language, so I couldn't really follow it. But anyway, he's had like four movies made from his books, in two different languages, and I keep hearing about dragon tattoos everywhere, so he's probably a frontrunner for the prize.

The Hunger Games Lady: I haven't read anything by her either, but the movie based off of one of her books is like the biggest thing ever right now. It's probably gunna win a Golden Globe, or something. And if it's good enough for the Hollywood Foreign Press, then it should be good enough for those German dicks in Copenhagen, or wherever it is that they are.

Edited by Myshkin

I wouldn't be surprised if Dylan were to win one day soon, but there's nothing more to add than I like his lyrics and that Popes and dissent leaders have quoted those in recent years :P

I wouldn't be surprised if Dylan were to win one day soon, but there's nothing more to add than I like his lyrics and that Popes and dissent leaders have quoted those in recent years :P

Your 2019 Nobel Laureate in Literature is...... Bruce Springsteen! At least Jaime L will be happy about that.

I'm holding out for W. Axl Rose in 2025.

Hell yeah! And Slash shows up at the awards ceremony! It could be a Waters/Gilmour moment!

ETA: Well shit, I intended this thread to be a serious discussion.

Edited by Myshkin

Stieg Larsson: I've never read any of his books, but I saw one of his movies, I think. It was pretty good, but it was in some foreign language, so I couldn't really follow it. But anyway, he's had like four movies made from his books, in two different languages, and I keep hearing about dragon tattoos everywhere, so he's probably a frontrunner for the prize.

Well, Stieg Larsson is sort of dead, and I think it just may disqualify him.

As for Dylan, I can only say he is way better poet than some who actually did win.

Well, Stieg Larsson is sort of dead, and I think it just may disqualify him.

Well then, I guess I should have probably googled it. Still, I think he's got a pretty good chance anyway.

As for Dylan, I can only say he is way better poet than some who actually did win.

Only one musician deserves a Nobel Prize.

Hell yeah! And Slash shows up at the awards ceremony! It could be a Waters/Gilmour moment!

ETA: Well shit, I intended this thread to be a serious discussion.

It can't be serious until Tairy and/or Stanek are mentioned as possible candidates.

Whatever, you all know that this discussion is mute and void without Dan Brown, you're just jealous you can't write like that. No one tackles the human condition better.

I'd say that if he doesn't get chosen this year I pay a visit to Englund (he lives not far from me actually!) with a 2x4.

Last attempt at serious, personal favourite: Rushdie, seriously, the love for Rushdie pretty much just can't be overdone.

Last attempt at serious, personal favourite: Rushdie, seriously, the love for Rushdie pretty much just can't be overdone.

I haven't read enough Rushdie. I have yet to read the Naipul I have before I refused to buy anymore but I kinda wish they'd make him give it back.

ETA: I just realized I referred to these two guys together because both are Indian. Fuck, I need to give my brown folk membership back...or chalk it up to the white man influencing my thoughts. ;-)

Edited by sciborg2