Gendry and Jon Snow

a free shadow

I have just fully realised how much these two charcters have in common.

In the plot so far they have been connected only (but it is a great connection) through Arya. Both of them hold her dear.

Both also grew up as bastards, but both are the eldest sons of two kings. Jon most likely is legitimate, but technically Gendry could be legitimised too. Both probably do not care about it much. Both of them found positions by proving their skills.

Jon's life was made difficult by his supposed father's wife, Gendry was to be killed on the orders of Cersei.

Do you think they might come to interact at some point? What situation would it be? Is it possible they will be on opposing sides?

It would be interesting especially because of that connection through Arya, it might happen if somehow Arya sees Gendry again and they go to the North together with the BwB and Nymeria's pack. Other possibility is Gendry getting sick of the BwB (and in Briennes's chapters got the impression he was) and deciding to join the NW, although right it's hard to predict if they are ever going to meet or how.

I think Gendry has a role to play in the future otherwise the HBO series would not have focused on him so much. Robert's other bastards have not been the focus in the HBO series, and I think the HBO producers know who will play major roles in the future and who will not. Edric Storm has not shown up in the HBO series yet, but it is still early in the story for him. He and Gendry are the two of Robert's male bastards who are most likely to survive.

I do think Gendry and Arya will reunite, but whether or not it has anything to do with Jon Snow .....who knows? I think if Arya ever has a love interest it will be Gendry.

I think Gendry has a role to play in the future otherwise the HBO series would not have focused on him so much. Robert's other bastards have not been the focus in the HBO series, and I think the HBO producers know who will play major roles in the future and who will not. Edric Storm has not shown up in the HBO series yet, but it is still early in the story for him. He and Gendry are the two of Robert's male bastards who are most likely to survive.

I do think Gendry and Arya will reunite, but whether or not it has anything to do with Jon Snow .....who knows? I think if Arya ever has a love interest it will be Gendry.

If we've learned anything, it's that the TV show & the book series do not support each other in discussions - whatever happens in the TV show stays in the tv show since they are only canonical in their own universe.

I have just fully realised how much these two charcters have in common.

In the plot so far they have been connected only (but it is a great connection) through Arya. Both of them hold her dear.

Both also grew up as bastards, but both are the eldest sons of two kings. Jon most likely is legitimate, but technically Gendry could be legitimised too. Both probably do not care about it much. Both of them found positions by proving their skills.

Jon's life was made difficult by his supposed father's wife, Gendry was to be killed on the orders of Cersei.

Do you think they might come to interact at some point? What situation would it be? Is it possible they will be on opposing sides?

If Jon is legitimate, why would Gendry be legitimized?

Jon's life wasn't made difficult by Catelyn, his life was made difficult by Ned not telling Catelyn about him.

Might they interact? Maybe - if Jon needs to travel south for some reason he could come across that part of the remnants of the BwB, but I don't see that as being a major plot point.

I think Gendry will end up at The Wall at some point, and perhaps he can reforge ice, and perhaps even find the secret of making Valyrian steel to fight against the Others.

Jon = Targ blood ( most likely ) / Gendry ( Baratheon ) / Arya ( looks like Lyanna )... looks like I'm soon going to believe that Jon/Arya is a possibility. There's a parallel here... Rhaegar/Robert/ Lyanna= Jon/Gendry/Arya = Targ/Baratheon/ Stark... O___O

The only one who might be interested in legitimizing Gendry would be Stannis, if something happens to Shireen. Even so, Edric Storm would be more suitable through his education. To the Targs, either would be a future challenger for succession.

Jon = Targ blood ( most likely ) / Gendry ( Baratheon ) / Arya ( looks like Lyanna )... looks like I'm soon going to believe that Jon/Arya is a possibility. There's a parallel here... Rhaegar/Robert/ Lyanna= Jon/Gendry/Arya = Targ/Baratheon/ Stark... O___O

Why do people do this?

Jon's life wasn't made difficult by Catelyn, his life was made difficult by Ned not telling Catelyn about him.

I would rather keep this thread without this discussion. But there are so many things wrong at once with this statement, that I'll answer it just this once. Still keeping it short.

1. The one who conciously made a choice and effort to make Jon feel unwanted was Catelyn. That is a fact. That is what happened. You might want to give her a pass, because she wasn't given a piece of information? Whatever. She still did those things.

2. Wether Ned could have prevented her sucky behaviour, can never be told, because a secret Targaryen in Winterfell would still have been a threat to her family and she might have still threated Jon like a dog.

If you want to expand this discussion, maybe a new thread would serve?

The connection with Arya is interesting. I can see her reuniting with Gendry, but not necessarily Jon. Not until the end at least. I think GRRM doesn't want the Stark kids to reunite until the very end, at least thats always the impression I got.

Even if you see Jon/Arya as a strictly sibling relationship Jon/Gendry/Arya in close proximity would be interesting to read about, remember how "well" Gendry reacted to Ned Dayne, it would be even worse with Jon because guess who would Arya pay more attention. Really Jon is walking proof that Gendry's life sucks. Both are bastards but Jon had a lot of things Gendry could only dream about: Jon was raised taken care and educated as nobility, not to mention he was lucky enough to have Ned Stark for the father, he had much more control over his life than Gendry, and he has Arya's unlimited devotion.

I like your points! Interesting how they both do have that connection through Arya, though now Gendry works for Catelyn, right? Could be some foreshadowing for Jon, if you want to speculate that deeply and crackpot-ly :lol:

I hope Gendry continues to play a part, and is reunited with Arya; same goes for Jon.

LOL .. Forgive me. I have read a crockpot theory before about Jon/Arya that's why the connection reminded me of it.

Gendry/Jon as Rhaegar/Robert would give me enough sorrow even without Arya/Lyanna involved :unsure: Any fighting on opposite sides, anything.

I actually think it would be quite nice if they got to know eachother. I think there'd be a nice parallel of the father figures. The bastard sons (supposedly) of Ned and Robert joining together. Both are effectively rebels now as well. Perhaps joining together to repel either Aegon or Dany should she arrive?

Archived