Cat X Littlefinger: Did it happen?

Lord Yarwyck

Its been awhil since I read it, but in Cat's POVs doesnt she make a reference to losing her virginity to Ned? And since its her thoughts, and she doesnt know we are reading them there is no reason why she should lie.

You are correct..

Here's the quote:

And when Brandon was murdered and Father told me I must wed his brother, I did so gladly, though I never saw Ned’s face until our wedding day. I gave my maidenhood to this solemn stranger and sent him off to his war and his king and the woman who bore him his bastard, because I always did my duty.

It was Lysa. From SOS:

You enticed him, just as your mother did that night at Riverrun, with her smiles and her dancing. You think I could forget? That was the night I stole up to his bed to give him comfort. I bled, but it was the sweetest hurt. He told me loved me then, but he called me Cat, just before he fell back to sleep. Even so, I stayed with him until the sky began to lighten. You mother did not deserve him.

• 2 months later...

I had not gotten to the above yet. I kept thinking LF was gay. He actually still could be, gay men do have heterosexual intercourse... often to prove something in literature. I knew he and Cat were a lie, but the sister...

Was the child Lysa aborted with the Tansy Littlefingers, then???

I had not gotten to the above yet. I kept thinking LF was gay. He actually still could be, gay men do have heterosexual intercourse... often to prove something in literature. I knew he and Cat were a lie, but the sister...

Was the child Lysa aborted with the Tansy Littlefingers, then???

Yes.

He was drunk when he bedded Lysa and likes to remember it as Catelyn.

The way you worded this ("likes to remember it as Catelyn") made me think that maybe GRRM is characterizing Littlefinger as someone who lies to himself as much as anyone else. He knows that he had sex with Lysa that night, but he can convince a part of himself that it was Cat. I'm putting this together with Sansa's chapter in AFfC where he is acting like she is his daughter even when they are alone and there seems to be a vibe that he's living out a fantasy of her being his daughter. (First he wants to f**k her, then he wants to be her dad...make up your mind, Littlefinger.)

I think that him becoming Lord of Harrenhal at one point is a foreshadowing that he will meet his downfall at some point (since all Lords of Harrenhal seem to be cursed). I wonder if his blending of fantasy and reality will be the cause.

The way LF talks to Varys has always fascinated me. His CONSTANT jabs about the lack of testicles, constant sexual innuendi... something about it always struck me as deeper than just rivalry and snideness. LF owns whorehouses, but we actually see very little sexual activity from him and a lot of talk.

It's a bit like the constant mentions of Tyrion's prowess in bed. Specifically, the mentions of his talent with his fingers and oral sex. Martin's trying to point out that Tyrion takes pride in being a good lover... then he has the same character rape.

The way LF talks to Varys has always fascinated me. His CONSTANT jabs about the lack of testicles, constant sexual innuendi... something about it always struck me as deeper than just rivalry and snideness. LF owns whorehouses, but we actually see very little sexual activity from him and a lot of talk.

It's a bit like the constant mentions of Tyrion's prowess in bed. Specifically, the mentions of his talent with his fingers and oral sex. Martin's trying to point out that Tyrion takes pride in being a good lover... then he has the same character rape.

All of that is only in the TV series, though. Thereare no such Varys/Baelish japes or Tyrion bawdiness in the books.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived