Richest Characters or organizations

Batman

As far as individuals are concerned, I don't think anyone can touch Illyrio's wealth. I mean who else plays at revolutions in his free time, gives out dragon eggs, possibly possesses the sword Blackfyre, etc, etc.

Xaro seems richer that Illyrio. His palace seems several orders of magnitude bigger and more expensive than Illyrion and he has 83 spicer ships...I suspect the money spent by Illyrio in the Targayren reclamation ploy comes from dragon eggs secured by Varys, who now and then send one or two to Illyrio.

As an organization, I think the Iron Bank is the richest. Lord Tywin would be the individual with more gold coins, but Xaro´s investments probably would make him richer than Tywin himself, only that his wealth is more difficult to access.

If Paxter Redwyne knew anything about economy and finances, he would be the richest individual in the whole world, and House Redwyne the richest organization: A thousand merchant vessels, two hundred war galleys and control over a luxury export with demand all around the known world? Paxter would have to actively try to ruin himself for him to not be richer than Tywin!.

The richest organizations:

The Iron Bank

House of Black and White (if they aren't part of the Iron Bank)

The Faith

Citadel (know how, information, monopole in long-distance communication)

People in Westeros

Petyr Baelish - i think he had been systematically stealing from crown for years and actually invested what he got

Lord Hightower

Lord Redwyne

Mace Tyrell

Cersei Lannister

I actually don't think the Lannisters are as well-off as they (and their contemporaries) think they are. Their wealth is mineral resources - that is, the gold mines. Gold mines run out. They have money, but no capital. Oldtown is the largest trading hub in Westeros; that kind of wealth is much more sustainable in the long run than the Lannisters. Similarly, I'm not sure how much Littlefinger actually owns, but he definitely seems to have figured capitalism out well ahead of anyone else in Westeros.

Each of the free cities is probably wealthier and more powerful than any house in Westeros, but that wealth is dispersed between many families/organizations.

In the long run, I'd go with:

1. The Iron Bank

2. The Thirteen of Qarth

3. The Spicers of Qarth

4. House Hightower

5. Littlefinger

I actually don't think the Lannisters are as well-off as they (and their contemporaries) think they are. Their wealth is mineral resources - that is, the gold mines. Gold mines run out. They have money, but no capital. Oldtown is the largest trading hub in Westeros; that kind of wealth is much more sustainable in the long run than the Lannisters. Similarly, I'm not sure how much Littlefinger actually owns, but he definitely seems to have figured capitalism out well ahead of anyone else in Westeros.

Each of the free cities is probably wealthier and more powerful than any house in Westeros, but that wealth is dispersed between many families/organizations.

In the long run, I'd go with:

1. The Iron Bank

2. The Thirteen of Qarth

3. The Spicers of Qarth

4. House Hightower

5. Littlefinger

The Lannisters also have Lannisport, the 3rd biggest (?) port in Westeros.

I would guess that the Faceless Men would have a substantial amount out there somewhere (Whether investing, donating it, etc) - considering how much they cost in price.

Then there is Hightower, Iron Bank, Tyrells...selected merchants from all over.

Slave Traders too.

Wealth can come in different forms, and many of those mentioned here might be wealthy in such a different form.

Assets: Probably here littlefinger is the richest. Probably he has investments all over the 7 kingdoms. It is wealth that is not so easily liquified though.

annual income: I think in this part the Lannisters and tyrels are richer than most others, because of the gold mines or the larger tax base.

Money reserve's: Something i think the Iron bank and the Hightowers are stronger in. The hightowers might not have the income of the lannisters, but the lannisters let their gold roll far more easily while the Hightowers seem to have been hoarding it for century's.

The Iron Bank is obviously very rich and powerful.

The Great Masters of Meereen were said to be richer than every Westerosi Lord.

Im guessing the 13 are very rich just by the description Dany gives of Xaro's palace. The rest of the major organizations in Qarth will be just as rich.

Illyrio and the rest of the Magisters are wealthy but I think Dany said that Xaro was richer.

The Lannisters have lots of money and are the richest in Westeros followed by the Hightower's, Tyrell's, Redwyne's are other Lords.

We dont know how rich LF is but im guessing very since he can work magic with coin.

• 1 month later...

It seems the wealthy men like the merchant princes, the Wise Masters, and Magister Illyrio are much wealthier than the Westerosi Lords. Maybe the Hightowers, Lannisters, and the Manderlys can come close to their Essos counterparts, but the other Lords seem to be solely dependent on taxes on agricultural goods rather than trade.

They project a wealthier image, a gaudier image. Although to be fair Tywin is like the goldfinger of Westeros.

Why is it generally accepted that merchants and slavers from Essos are richer than the Lords of Westeros?

The Lannisters are sitting on multiple gold mines, Redwyne has hundreds of ships at his disposal for trade and wines to trade with. Why are they considered less powerful than the gaudier Essos merchants?

Why is it generally accepted that merchants and slavers from Essos are richer than the Lords of Westeros?

The Lannisters are sitting on multiple gold mines, Redwyne has hundreds of ships at his disposal for trade and wines to trade with. Why are they considered less powerful than the gaudier Essos merchants?

Westeros is primarily agricultural in it's economy, producing few finished goods. The people of essos tend to have more in the means of trade and finished goods, which historically would mean that they would probably have more wealth, particularly if you don't put to high a value on land, which would be cheaper in a less populated setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok So from what I have gleamed from this post the order that I have decided on would be

1 - Iron Bank

Seems to be undisputed. In the real world they would be illegal, they are just far too powerful. They are either like JPMorgan Chase or all of the big four combined depending on your opinion.

2 - House Lannister

Under Tywin before the war. Multiple gold mines, one of the largests fleet in Westeros and tax from all his vassals make for an impressive vault.

3 - Thirteen

They seem very flashy and extravegant, but that could be all for show. Warren Buffet still lives in the same home he had before he became a billionaire. They seem to use gold in much of their decoration, I cannot imagine Tywin has not traded with them.

4 - Hightowers

I struggled with this one, they are not even the lord paramount of the Reach. the Tyrells reap a portion of they gold as taxes on top of what their own lands yield. But the Hightowers control the second largest port in Westeros.

5 - Redwynes

They have the second largest fleet in Westeros and the most valuable wine in the world to trade with.

6 - Littlefinger

This choice has more to do with total worth, given that the majority of his coin would be tied up in investments. The man is a financial genius who would likely have invested in all kinds of ventures.

7 - Illyrio Mopatis

This guy is pretty shady, he is almost like an Italian mafia boss. He has businesses in smuggling and slaving that we know of. He also sold a thirteen year old girl Dothraki. These shady dealings would have made him a lot of money.

Honorable mention

Baratheon

Robert should have been the richest man in Westeros. The mad king left the vaults overflowing with coin that could have helped him establish the Bank of Westeros or some other venture. On top of that he now has the largest city and the largest port all to himself. People constantly mention that the Hightowers are hugely rich because they rule Oldtown, in that case Kings Landing must make its ruler even richer than that. All of this on top of the fact that they are now collecting taxes from every lord paramount in Westeros. He gets a piece of the Lannisters, Tyrells, Tully's, Starks, Martells, Greyjoys and Arryns wealth. Sadly Robert is like Henry VIII

Side note - I have mostly focused on those in Westeros because Dany's chapter bore me.

Perhaps Littlefinger doesn't have that much money in his pocket all the time but he has the ability to find as much as he needs whenever he needs. A very useful skill.

It's not really a skill. He had the coffers of KL open to him, as well as controlling every level of it's finances. Without that, it'd be a lot harder for him.

If Lord Redwyne truly has 1000 merchant ships - as the text indeed suggests - then he is singlehandedly richer than the Thirteen - who have a combined fleet of around 1000, but Redwynne also has 200 warships on top of that. Xaro by contrast has less than 100 ships altogether.

Paxter Redwynne must be close to the richest person in the world. I seriously doubt that anyone else owns over a 1000 ships. Not Illyrio, not any merchant from Quarth.

The entire Volantene fleet only numbers something like 400 ships in Slavers Bay.

And yet we know that the Hightowers and Lannisters are even richer than Paxter Redwynne.

Therefore, I don't think any merchant from Essos approaches the Hightowers or the Lannisters in wealth.

It's not really a skill. He had the coffers of KL open to him, as well as controlling every level of it's finances. Without that, it'd be a lot harder for him.

His financial skill got him to the point of being master of coin

Archived