Richest Characters or organizations

Batman

Ok So from what I have gleamed from this post the order that I have decided on would be

1 - Iron Bank

Seems to be undisputed. In the real world they would be illegal, they are just far too powerful. They are either like JPMorgan Chase or all of the big four combined depending on your opinion.

2 - House Lannister

Under Tywin before the war. Multiple gold mines, one of the largests fleet in Westeros and tax from all his vassals make for an impressive vault.

3 - Thirteen

They seem very flashy and extravegant, but that could be all for show. Warren Buffet still lives in the same home he had before he became a billionaire. They seem to use gold in much of their decoration, I cannot imagine Tywin has not traded with them.

4 - Hightowers

I struggled with this one, they are not even the lord paramount of the Reach. the Tyrells reap a portion of they gold as taxes on top of what their own lands yield. But the Hightowers control the second largest port in Westeros.

5 - Redwynes

They have the second largest fleet in Westeros and the most valuable wine in the world to trade with.

6 - Littlefinger

This choice has more to do with total worth, given that the majority of his coin would be tied up in investments. The man is a financial genius who would likely have invested in all kinds of ventures.

7 - Illyrio Mopatis

This guy is pretty shady, he is almost like an Italian mafia boss. He has businesses in smuggling and slaving that we know of. He also sold a thirteen year old girl Dothraki. These shady dealings would have made him a lot of money.

Honorable mention

Baratheon

Robert should have been the richest man in Westeros. The mad king left the vaults overflowing with coin that could have helped him establish the Bank of Westeros or some other venture. On top of that he now has the largest city and the largest port all to himself. People constantly mention that the Hightowers are hugely rich because they rule Oldtown, in that case Kings Landing must make its ruler even richer than that. All of this on top of the fact that they are now collecting taxes from every lord paramount in Westeros. He gets a piece of the Lannisters, Tyrells, Tully's, Starks, Martells, Greyjoys and Arryns wealth. Sadly Robert is like Henry VIII

Side note - I have mostly focused on those in Westeros because Dany's chapter bore me.

The "Elephants" or Volantis would fall where on this list ?

• 3 weeks later...

I would guess that the Faceless Men would have a substantial amount out there somewhere (Whether investing, donating it, etc) - considering how much they cost in price.

Then there is Hightower, Iron Bank, Tyrells...selected merchants from all over.

Slave Traders too.

How do the Faceless men make money? They seems so expensive that anyone worthy of being killed would be too expensive. Littlefinger says that they could hire an army for the price it would take to kill a common man. I am trying to think what that would amount to in actual money, millions? Tens of millions?

People dont seem to be thinking as highly of Tywin Lannister and Casterly Rock as I thought. He is literally sitting on multiple Gold mines, those wont dry up for many decades.

I'm baffled by this. I was always under the impression that it was an objective fact he was the richest lord in Westeros.

I'm baffled by this. I was always under the impression that it was an objective fact he was the richest lord in Westeros.

I cant believe that people are bringing up the Hightowers or Tyrells. The King might have gotten close, if Robert didnt piss it all away.

I am almost as surprised that people think higher of people from Essos because they are flashier. By that definition Donald Trump would be the richest man in the world.

I cant believe that people are bringing up the Hightowers or Tyrells. The King might have gotten close, if Robert didnt piss it all away.

I am almost as surprised that people think higher of people from Essos because they are flashier. By that definition Donald Trump would be the richest man in the world.

No, they are included because the East has more opportunities of trade and a more developed economic system.

The Hightowers were reputed to be as rich as the Lannisters.

No, they are included because the East has more opportunities of trade and a more developed economic system.

Has that been confirmed anywhere? The East seems to rely more on slaves for their trade than anything else. It is not mentioned in the books but I have to imagine the Lannisters and other Westeros based houses would have to trade with Easterners. Lannister gold must reach east.

One more thing, what is the most vauable assets in that world? Most rich men base their wealth on certain commodities. Some have various investments, but their is still a main focus on things.

Littlefinger - Brothels

Illyrio - Silks and spices

Xaro - Ships and spices

Iron Bank - Loans

Slaves also seem to be a very vauable commodity in Essos.

Qarth seems to be far richer than the cities of Slavers Bay, as it is the Gateway between East and West - the Jade Gates being the route to the Jade Sea and beyond.

And yet, all the Merchants of the Thirteen together have less ships than Paxter Redwynne on his own.

Hence, Xaro Xhoan Daxos - who appears to be a richer version of Illyrio Mopatis - has only 80 ships, compared to Paxter Redwynne's 1200 ships.

I think it is fair to say that ignorant comments made by some Slaver from Meereen that the Great Masters are richer than the Westerosi lords every one are completely devoid of the truth.

Maybe it's just me, but Littlefinger alwyas seem more of a Bernie Madoff then Warren Buffet.

Organizations: The Iron Bank, clearly that world premier banking instution.

All Lords Paramount are rich, but Lannister(lands, gold and trade) and Tyrell(lands) clearly are richer then the rest. Hightowers and Redwynes are a conundrumm since the size of Redwyne fleet is just absurd in comparison with the rest of the world and frankly, Sam saying that Hightower are as rich as the infamously rich Lannister is hardly conclusive.

Triarchs of Volanthis, 13 of Quarth, High Lords of Braavos, Rulers of Lys, Tyrosh, Myr, Norvos, Pentos are all good candidates. Honestly, the Wise masters of Slavers bay area don't appaer to be as rich as they might belive, after all two of Illyrio's trade ship with goods could buy almost 2000 unsullied, that rather cheap.

Qarth seems to be far richer than the cities of Slavers Bay, as it is the Gateway between East and West - the Jade Gates being the route to the Jade Sea and beyond.

And yet, all the Merchants of the Thirteen together have less ships than Paxter Redwynne on his own.

Hence, Xaro Xhoan Daxos - who appears to be a richer version of Illyrio Mopatis - has only 80 ships, compared to Paxter Redwynne's 1200 ships.

I think it is fair to say that ignorant comments made by some Slaver from Meereen that the Great Masters are richer than the Westerosi lords every one are completely devoid of the truth.

I agree with this, just because Donald Trump is flashier with his money than Warren Buffett doesnt make him richer.

What does Xaro trade in again? Spices wasnt it? I know Illyrio was involved in gemstones, silks, slaves, brothels and smuggling.

I don't even think itS his he stole it

You think there was any room for him to steal coin the way Robert spent it? He might have taken some crown coin to start up some of his businesses but would have been smart enough to put it back without Jon Arryn noticing. More importantly he wouldnt want Varys to know, since it could cause his death.

• 4 weeks later...

How do the Faceless men make money? They seems so expensive that anyone worthy of being killed would be too expensive. Littlefinger says that they could hire an army for the price it would take to kill a common man. I am trying to think what that would amount to in actual money, millions? Tens of millions?

Well, assuming we are speaking of hiring an army of 10.000 men-at-arms and 2.000 mercenary knights for a whole year, and that you paid 1,5 dragons per month to every man-at-arms and 3 dragons to every knight, that would make 252.000 gold dragons to kill a rich merchant.

I could be less, of course; Littlefinger could be thinking on the cost of hiring an army for just a month, still 21.000 gold dragons.

Anyway, the Faceless Men demand almost everything you have in exchange for your services (a merchant paid two thirds of his wealth and his only child, for example). so I guess people who hire them do it out of a desire of revenge that overwhelms everything else, and rational, calculating people rarely resort to them.

Honestly, the Wise masters of Slavers bay area don't appaer to be as rich as they might belive, after all two of Illyrio's trade ship with goods could buy almost 2000 unsullied, that rather cheap.

Actually, 2000 unsullied were worth as much as two empty merchant galleys and an empty cog. The cargo of the ships was worth as much as another 1000 unsullied.

You know, with prices so low, how come there aren't more unsullied armies? If I were a rich merchant prince I would buy my own unsullied army, and if I were the ruler of a Free City, I would create a city guard of 10.000 unsullied to fend off the dothraki.

You think there was any room for him to steal coin the way Robert spent it? He might have taken some crown coin to start up some of his businesses but would have been smart enough to put it back without Jon Arryn noticing. More importantly he wouldnt want Varys to know, since it could cause his death.

I doubt Robert Baratheon or Jon Arryn could understand Littlefinger economic operations enough to be angry at him. Littlefinger borrowed money in the name of the crown, invested it in many businesses, and ended producing more money that he originally borrowed, so if he kept a percentage for himself, nobody would notice, since not even Tyrion understood his accounting books.

Even if Varys told Jon Arryn that Littlefinger was using the borrowed money for his own schemes, all the Hand would ask would be "but, does he keep some of the money he borrows?" and Varys would have to answer "No, my lord, he returns to the treasury more than he took" an Arryn would say "oh, it's okay, them", because most westerosi lords can't grasp the concept of business ethics.

Archived