Richest Characters or organizations

Batman

The Iron Bank is the richest, they loan money to Westeros and all the free cities.

Houses Lannister and Hightower are the two richest houses followed closely by House Tyrell.

Gotta think that House Manderly would be pretty rich since they control almost all the trade for the entire North, and House Redwyne since they have the largest fleet and the best wine in Westeros.

Littlefinger is very rich from his time as master of coin and is only gonna get richer as the Lord Paramount of the Trident.

I think the main difference between Westeros and Essos is that most of the people in Essos live in big cities where everyone chips in to pay for a common defense. This allows them to flaunt their wealth more and appear richer. In Westeros each Lord has to pay for his own castle and supply his own troops so they have less walking around money.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta think that House Manderly would be pretty rich since they control almost all the trade for the entire North, and House Redwyne since they have the largest fleet and the best wine in Westeros.

I think the main difference between Westeros and Essos is that most of the people in Essos live in big cities where everyone chips in to pay for a common defense. This allows them to flaunt their wealth more and appear richer. In Westeros each Lord has to pay for his own castle and supply his own troops so they have less walking around money.

Where are the rich beer producers? Redwyne has built an empire on wine and beer is the third most consumed beverage in the world after water and tea.

That and the rulers of those cities dont pay for labour or any kind, they have slaves.

A guess at top 5 in Westeros:

1. The Lannisters.

2. The Crown.

3. The Hightowers

4. The Tyrells

5. The Redwynes

Where are the rich beer producers? Redwyne has built an empire on wine and beer is the third most consumed beverage in the world after water and tea.

That and the rulers of those cities dont pay for labour or any kind, they have slaves.

People would propably brew their own beer, Mr Wayne.

Davos says that there is a brewer in White Harbor that makes the best, black beer he has ever tasted. In fact, I think he says it sells out as quickly as the guy can produce it, and that a keg of it sells for as much as Arbor Gold in the South, or something along those lines (I forget the exact words).

In other words, a White Harbor brewer has discovered Guinness beer! All they need is a solid marketing strategy and the port of White Harbor can become the worldwide export hub for a massive beer industry rivalling the Arbor's wine trade.

Lord Manderly needs to get his house in order and become stinking rich from this.

People could make their own wine, doesnt mean it will be Arbor Gold. Where is the beer king? No Robert doesnt count

I think many lords in the south atleast owns a few wineyards themselves. It's just that the Arbor wines are superior. Beer is less of a luxury-ware and thus I don't think there are any "beer-kings" (the ingredients are much simpler to acquire and grow everywhere).

Davos says that there is a brewer in White Harbor that makes the best, black beer he has ever tasted. In fact, I think he says it sells out as quickly as the guy can produce it, and that a keg of it sells for as much as Arbor Gold in the South, or something along those lines (I forget the exact words).

In other words, a White Harbor brewer has discovered Guinness beer! All they need is a solid marketing strategy and the port of White Harbor can become the worldwide export hub for a massive beer industry rivalling the Arbor's wine trade.

Lord Manderly needs to get his house in order and become stinking rich from this.

Thats what I mean, drop a little silver to pick it up and the man becomes rich as the Lannisters. There is an endless demand for the stuff, its liquid gold, there is a limited demand and supply of Frey pies.

I think many lords in the south atleast owns a few wineyards themselves. It's just that the Arbor wines are superior. Beer is less of a luxury-ware and thus I don't think there are any "beer-kings" (the ingredients are much simpler to acquire and grow everywhere).

Right but there is a difference between some of these http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/130875 and some blokes home brew. The same way there is a difference between wine from the Barossa Valley or Tuscany and wine from some guys backyard. If there is a quality beer, like the one from White Harbour, why is it not being exported from Oldtown to Slavers Bay? Why is Wyman Manderly not exploiting this product? Why is there no other man in the world like Paxter Redwyne but with Beer?

Right but there is a difference between some of these http://www.mentalflo...archives/130875 and some blokes home brew. The same way there is a difference between wine from the Barossa Valley or Tuscany and wine from some guys backyard. If there is a quality beer, like the one from White Harbour, why is it not being exported from Oldtown to Slavers Bay? Why is Wyman Manderly not exploiting this product? Why is there no other man in the world like Paxter Redwyne but with Beer?

The beer was actually imported from Ibben, and Davos remarks that the alehouse he used to drink it at seemed to have closed its doors long ago. I only remember this because I just reread Dance, and had not recalled reading about beer before this. So basically, some big hairy Ibbenese whaler is getting rich off of producing this magical black beer, not someone from Westeros. Sounds like you can't even get it in war-torn Westeros anymore. I do agree though, it seems like someone would make some kind of beer.

The beer was actually imported from Ibben, and Davos remarks that the alehouse he used to drink it at seemed to have closed its doors long ago. I only remember this because I just reread Dance, and had not recalled reading about beer before this. So basically, some big hairy Ibbenese whaler is getting rich off of producing this magical black beer, not someone from Westeros. Sounds like you can't even get it in war-torn Westeros anymore. I do agree though, it seems like someone would make some kind of beer.

It was exported to Bravoos and Ibban where it could fetch as much as Arbor gold, just checked. Which is weirder because I dont see why Wyman or some rich merchant didnt buy it and begin mass producing the stuff. Why is it that only Bravoos and Ibban like quality beer? Or beer at all

It was exported to Bravoos and Ibban where it could fetch as much as Arbor gold, just checked. Which is weirder because I dont see why Wyman or some rich merchant didnt buy it and begin mass producing the stuff. Why is it that only Bravoos and Ibban like quality beer? Or beer at all

You're right! Got mixed up there.. Exactly right though, it makes no sense for Manderly not to have taken advantage of this.. but this is just a plot hole we'll have to forgive I suppose.

Dothraki... With all the gold they have, using it like iron..

This got me thinking about what a slave is truly worth. Jorah Mormont seemed to think that selling the people Drogo enslaved would be enough to hire or buy the ships that they needed to cross to Westeros. Dany was offered 2,000 Unsullied (probably higher than the normal price considering her haggling technique) for amber, saffron, 2 cogs and a galley. These are supposedly the finest slave soldiers.

Mormont would have to know that they needed the finest warships to be able to even land against the Royal Navy and the Redwyne fleet. Dothraki soldiers would be at a severe disadvantage on sea and ships like the Fury and King Robbs Hammer would make wrecks out of most ships. They have 40,000 men to carry across and their horses too, there is no way they could hire or buy ships enough to carry them with a few thousand slaves to sell, could they?

This got me thinking about what a slave is truly worth. Jorah Mormont seemed to think that selling the people Drogo enslaved would be enough to hire or buy the ships that they needed to cross to Westeros. Dany was offered 2,000 Unsullied (probably higher than the normal price considering her haggling technique) for amber, saffron, 2 cogs and a galley. These are supposedly the finest slave soldiers.

Mormont would have to know that they needed the finest warships to be able to even land against the Royal Navy and the Redwyne fleet. Dothraki soldiers would be at a severe disadvantage on sea and ships like the Fury and King Robbs Hammer would make wrecks out of most ships. They have 40,000 men to carry across and their horses too, there is no way they could hire or buy ships enough to carry them with a few thousand slaves to sell, could they?

It has been discussed here: http://asoiaf.wester...mpared-to-ours/ and here: http://asoiaf.wester...f-martin-world/

My thoughts on the matter of the slaves:

Of course the prices given in the books don't make any sense anyway, neither the small everyday expenses, nor large amounts of money like the Tourney Of the Hand prizes, or the price of ships when compared to untrained slaves and to Unsullied (we know Khal Drogo hoped to buy ships in exchange for untrained, cheap women and children, but on the other hand, we know that a cog and two merchant galleys are worth as much as two thousand Unsullied, that are the most expensive fighting slaves in the world; how many slaves would have Khal Drogo needed in order to buy enough ships to cross to Westeros with his 40.000 screamers? A million? Ten millions?)

I guess either GRRM didn't think too much about the matter, or Ser Jorah is as bad with numbers as a dothraki.

By the way, i find it interesting that the only merchant families rich enough to intermarry with relevant noble houses (Arryn and Royce) are all in Gulltown...could it be that being the closest to Braavos among all westerosi cities is the reason? Also, the Graftons who rule the city don't seem that powerful (Littlefinger said they are less important than the Lords Declarant), so maybe the combination of a not-so powerful liege and having foreign merchants visiting all the time may have allowed the development of a true Bourgeoisie?

By the way, i find it interesting that he only merchant families rich enough to intermarry with relevant noble houses (Arryn and Royce) are all in Gulltown...could it be that being the closest to Braavos of all westerosi cities is the reason? Also, the Graftons who rule the city don't seem that ipowerful (Littlefinger said they are less important than the Lords Declarant), so maybe the combination of a not-so powerful liege and having foreign merchants visiting all the time may have allowed the development of a true Bourgeoisie?

That's a good point.

As for the Graftons, they seemingly lost a lot of power and money after opposing Robert and Jon Arryn in the Rebellion. That, and I'm not sure whether they are the only Lords in Gulltown.

Archived