Tywin or Tyrion?

Batman

Tyrion, hands down. Tyrion inherited Tywin's ambition, strategic abilities, intelligence, and the overall ability that is known as "getting shit done". Tywin, though, is cruel and evil. Tyrion can be ruthless if he needs to be, but he is not as morally corrupt as his father. Tyrion would never allow monsters like Ser Gregor, Armory Lorch, or The Tickler to roam the country laying waste, terror, and destruction to the innocent bystanders of Westeros.

Someone else mentioned that Tyrion is more concerned with justice and aware of the social issues that need to be addressed in order to keep a prosperous and peaceful reign. Tyrion has more sympathy and genuinely cares for other people whose last name is not "Lannister".

Probably Tywin. He didn't become the most richest man in the Kingdom out of thin. Tyrion was struggling with finances when he was temporary hand. There needs to be a hand who can acquire money to feed the people during the long winter. Tywin could do that. He's a seasoned commander who knows war in case the realm has a threat.

Overall he's justb etter suited for the job than Tyrion.

Tyrion every single time, although truth be told I wonder how Lord Randyll Tarly would do at the role.

Tywin is an amoral, emotionally damaged, inconsequential schemer undeserving of any power.

Tyrion, for all his troubles, strives hard to establish justice and rarely forgets the struggle of the less fortunate.

It is not at all a contest. You should have asked about Kevan instead of Tywin.

Overall I would prefer a non-Lord to be hand. Being both a great lord and hand is too much power to invest in one man.

Tyrion would be tempting because he would be completely dependent on his title, and therefore me, for his power. He's also the perfect man for navigating court politics for a king who would rather not.

In most situations I would choose Tywin, because he's feared for good reason. Tyrion would only be good for a King who was a credible battle commander in his own right and has an established gravitas of his own.

I wonder how Lord Randyll Tarly would do at the role.

He has a lot of shades of Tywin in him, but I don't think he would be very good at the courtly side of things.

Tyrion, hands down. Tyrion inherited Tywin's ambition, strategic abilities, intelligence, and the overall ability that is known as "getting shit done". Tywin, though, is cruel and evil. Tyrion can be ruthless if he needs to be, but he is not as morally corrupt as his father. Tyrion would never allow monsters like Ser Gregor, Armory Lorch, or The Tickler to roam the country laying waste, terror, and destruction to the innocent bystanders of Westeros.

Someone else mentioned that Tyrion is more concerned with justice and aware of the social issues that need to be addressed in order to keep a prosperous and peaceful reign. Tyrion has more sympathy and genuinely cares for other people whose last name is not "Lannister".

To be honest while Tyrion had some symphatic qualities he does not seem all to concerned about what the Mountain Men did or are doing with their given weapons and I would not qualify Bronn and his sellswords as saints either. If he needed to I think that Tyrion would let both Gregor and Amory slip the leash.

Yeah, Tyrion said he'd work for justice in KL as Hand yet apart from punishing the babykiller Deem did absolutely nothing related to that during his term as a hand. And he really didn't seem to care about the citizens of KL much if at all, apart from whining how unfair is that they hated him even though he let the Clansmen urder them and go unpunished.

To be honest while Tyrion had some symphatic qualities he does not seem all to concerned about what the Mountain Men did or are doing with their given weapons and I would not qualify Bronn and his sellswords as saints either. If he needed to I think that Tyrion would let both Gregor and Amory slip the leash.

Would he, really? Tyrion was sick when he heard about the Golden Cloaks killing a babe. He was disturbed when he saw Flea Bottom burned to the crisp, and when Alayaya was whipped. I think he wouldn't let Gregor and Amory Lorch free to do as they wanted. He doesn't seem to care much for what is happening in the Riverlands because he doesn't know. Willful ignorance, yes, he won't look so he won't feel, but if he was forced to do so (Being in command of the troops, for example) he wouldn't simply shrug off the worst of their abuses.

No, he would allow people like Shagga, Timmet and Chella to do the exact same instead.

No, he would allow people like Shagga, Timmet and Chella to do the exact same instead.

I know, I did think about them. Well I agree that they are not saints either, but they do follow Tyrion's command, and Tyrion would not have them go to the extremes of what Tywin lets his men do. They may be brutal, but I wouldn't group them with the likes of Gregor or Vargo Hoat, who grew up in a more supposed civilized society, yet commit acts probably somewhat worse than than the "savage clansmen" because they actually enjoy it and got very good at it over time.

Sorry, I just don't see Tyrion allowing Shagga to mutilate and torture a bunch of poor innocent villagers just to find one man who they probably don't even know where the hell he is. like when the Tickler was trying to find Lord Beric. Tyrion might have something to say about that whereas Tywin just doesn't give a flying fig. Just my opinion. :dunno:

... and a ruthless daugther - be afraid...be very afraid :devil:

... and a ruthless daugther - be afraid...be very afraid :devil:

I think she's already filled her Kingslaying quote with Robert so I'd probably be fine. :D

Would he, really? Tyrion was sick when he heard about the Golden Cloaks killing a babe. He was disturbed when he saw Flea Bottom burned to the crisp, and when Alayaya was whipped. I think he wouldn't let Gregor and Amory Lorch free to do as they wanted. He doesn't seem to care much for what is happening in the Riverlands because he doesn't know. Willful ignorance, yes, he won't look so he won't feel, but if he was forced to do so (Being in command of the troops, for example) he wouldn't simply shrug off the worst of their abuses.

He was sick and punished the man responsible but as has been mentioned didn't care much for what his own little pets were doing. I think that would very much shrug off the worst of any abuses done by his men. You can take his revenge on the Vale for example, the revenge won't hit Lysa or Robert Arryn in anyway but the smallfolk and petty nobles instead.

Now I love the Lannisters but lets not paint them as saints.

Tyrion, because I could trust him. He's a nice guy really, not corrupt or cruel or malicious, I would not fear that he would harm me.

And then of course, he is incredibly clever and wise, so I would value his advice and it would likely be sound advice.

Ned or Stannis...

But for this particular instance, I'd have Tyrion. Hes cunning, practical, good with coin.

I would arrange him a legitimate marriage because the whoring thing would become a problem.

Its nice to have a Lannister hanging around the Red Keep in case Tywin decides to do something "ambitious"

Tyrion seems to generally be interested in the safety of King's landing as acting hand whereas Tywin puts his self interest and the interest of house Lannister above all else.

Tyrion wouldn't try to arrange marriage me with Cersei and thus ruin my life as Tywin did with Robert.

Tywin, fairly easily.

Tyrion is very smart, but he also gets away with being underestimated a lot, and that passes in time. But he's also prone to drunkenness, self-pity, irrationality and losing control.

Tywin is just rock solid intellect.

What I would do, though, is make Tyrion master of whisperers is Varys is found out.

Mmm...both have pros and cons.

Tywin Pro: Nerves of steel, intimidation/respect factor, solid with finances, physically healthy and strong.

Tywin Con: Dirty games, backstabbing, permits torture, rape and highly immoral men in general, more concerned about personal inward goals towards Lannister appeal instead of outward goals and concern for the realm, awful at handling his children which ultimately led to other problems.

Tyrion Pro: Actually uses clever tactics instead of using things like brute force, corruption or dirtyness (Probably wouldn't approve of the idea of a RW type event) has ability to show more empathy, has more outward goals for the realm instead of personal Lannister ones.

Tyrion Con: Takes things too personally, emotional/pouty, unhealthy dependency on women, might think too much with his schlong than with his head at times.

I guess my vote will go to Tyrion.

You should have asked about Kevan instead of Tywin.

Kevan never had a thought Tywin didnt have first. He would have made a good hand, but I dont think he is in Tywins league or he would have outshined him in the first place.

Archived