The future of Jaime and Brienne?

I'm sure Brienne chose to go get Jaime; the whole time they were being strung up she was staring at Pod, she agreed to their demands to keep Pod from being murdered then and there.

If they just had her captive and threatened to kill her if she didn't get Jaime she would have died first, but since she had already bonded with Pod as a mother / mentor kind of thing and she made the only choice she could to keep him from getting killed.

Pod was totally innocent and couldn't help himself out of that situation, Jaime isn't totally innocent and will have a fighting chance to help himself out. He is a Lannister and did some evil things, but he is innocent of being involved with the Red Wedding in anyway; I think for once his lack of a right hand may help him out, his missing hand is proof that he didn't regroup with the Lannisters right after being released from Riverrun.

UnCat is a vicious vengeful shadow of a human, but she knows when Jaime left Riverrun he had two hands, and the Red Wedding was soon enough after he was released I think there is a chance he might be able to get himself and Brienne out of trouble here since the UnCat murder group seems focused on the Red Wedding; although it is GRRM so who knows for sure they might just string him up no questions asked.

There is another option, but I must stress its weak and not supported by the evidence.

Brienne is taking Jaime to a place where she can tell Jaime about what is going on. She wants to bring Jaime back so he can help her break out Pod and Hyle. Once that happens and Jaime gets Hyle and Pod to safety, Brienne will throw herself at UnCat, thereby keeping her word- she will say she choose to die all along. Jaime will leave with Pod and Hyle and know that he must do something like that to "pay it forward."

More likley, though, is that Brienne is sending Jaime to a trap and will give him an "out" somehow.

I am unconvinced that Jaime is done for.

I am normally not a sucker for love stories. I like me a good battle, lots of blood and gore and retribution.But this had me at "I dreamt of you". My womanly heart sighed that blasted love sigh. I know George is fabulous at dashing our hopes and shocking us with killing people off and such, but the.one.thin.I.want is for Jaime and Brienne to find some small happiness together. I think Brienne is trying to save Pod but she also wants to see Jaime. She loves him whether she wants to admit it or not. I think UnCat will go to hang Jaime and Brienne will throw herself in the midst to save him. I am all for a cheesy Pocohontas/John scene. I am hopeful that Brienne will be able to convince UnCat to see Jaime is worthy to their cause and I would damn sure love to see Jaime kill Cersei. This is all highly unlikely, I know, because Martin doesn't give a fig what we want lol. But, we can dream lol.

It's likely that it will come down to a trial by combat with Jaime against Brienne. That makes for the most dramatic twist to their love storyline as one will have to kill the other. I suspect that regardless of the outcome Jaime will have little further part to play in his family's saga, as he'll either die or be so affected by having to kill Brienne that he'll undergo a serious repentence (like go to the Wall).

It's likely that it will come down to a trial by combat with Jaime against Brienne. That makes for the most dramatic twist to their love storyline as one will have to kill the other. I suspect that regardless of the outcome Jaime will have little further part to play in his family's saga, as he'll either die or be so affected by having to kill Brienne that he'll undergo a serious repentence (like go to the Wall).

Can't there be a trial by combat, but with Brienne as Jaime's champion? The BWB has Lem Lemoncloak, Gendry and a couple of other knighted fighters, so one of them could take up the fight for the BWB side. I also wonder if UnCat would let Brienne fight for their side, since she'd probably suspect cheating. It could happen though, but Brienne - Gendry seems a nicer setup since Gendry looks like Renly and that would be extremely hard for Brienne.

Whichever way it goes, I wonder if both Brienne and Jaime can make it out alive. It seems very unlikely at this point.

I think this spells the end of Jaime, sadly. I could see him demanding a trial by combat, and being granted it purely because he can't win it. From Cat's point of view, it could be the perfect way to add insult to his downfall, but still... he is the Kingslayer; it's a risk. It's worth mentioning that he's been missing in-verse for months now, too... It's not like Cat is using him as a hostage. Her MO seems to be "hang first, don't bother with questions," so yeah. What value does Jaime have that could stop her from stringing him up on a tree?

I'm pretty sure Jaime or Brienne will die. Possibly both. UnCat needs to become a very personal menace, and killing off one of those two would be a good way to paint that picture.

Tsk, tsk. Don't worry, Jaime, you are not dead yet. Oh ye of little faith. You still have a lot more to do in the next two books. Brienne the beauty may not be so lucky, though. You are going to hook up with Sandor and rescue Sansa, and then take part in an epic battle. Which epic battle, I don't know.

(And pssst: my personal opinion is you will marry Sansa, but I don't want to say that too loudly because the archers will come out. I know you have already denied the possibility of that happening, but hey, it's better than being dead, isn't it?)

Wait, when is this mentioned? Also, I like the theory of him demanding trial by combat, and unCat making Brienne her champion, thus paving the way for Brienne to redeem herself by purposefully losing to him. unCat would then still demand his death, but the rest of the band might be contrary, hopefully.

This is the most interesting take on this I've heard so far. While I can see why some people don't think that Cat would choose Brienne as a champion, it does have some poetry to it. Under those circumstances, I think we can be sure that Jaime would not kill Brienne, and we can be sure that Cat would not accept this result (barring some new revelation). And I like the idea of the BwB refusing to carry out this execution under the circumstances.

The bigger problem I have is that I can't see Cat granting a trial by combat in the first place. Maybe now that he can only fight with his left hand, she'd enjoy rubbing it in... I don't know, I'm still having trouble imagining it. So, that's where this breaks down for me.

Either way, I think Brienne's story arc is closer to finished than Jaime's, but it's hard to say for sure. I'd like for her to find Sansa or Arya somehow. Neither may be long for this world, but I can't quite see either of them going out quite yet. I sure hope I will know the answer before 2015, though I kind of doubt it.

This is the most interesting take on this I've heard so far. While I can see why some people don't think that Cat would choose Brienne as a champion, it does have some poetry to it. Under those circumstances, I think we can be sure that Jaime would not kill Brienne, and we can be sure that Cat would not accept this result (barring some new revelation). And I like the idea of the BwB refusing to carry out this execution under the circumstances.

The bigger problem I have is that I can't see Cat granting a trial by combat in the first place. Maybe now that he can only fight with his left hand, she'd enjoy rubbing it in... I don't know, I'm still having trouble imagining it. So, that's where this breaks down for me.

Either way, I think Brienne's story arc is closer to finished than Jaime's, but it's hard to say for sure. I'd like for her to find Sansa or Arya somehow. Neither may be long for this world, but I can't quite see either of them going out quite yet. I sure hope I will know the answer before 2015, though I kind of doubt it.

Cat already had a bad time allowing trial by combat for Tyrion at Eyrie. She won't repeat the mistake twice. And as such, her new form doesn't care much about justice, but more about revenge. Brienne would not lure Jamie for getting killed. They will explain the circumstances to Stoneheart and continue on their mission to find Sansa. Someone in the Brotherhood might have stumbled on information about Littlefinger and his bastard daughter. Cat will see through it and dispatch Jamie and Brienne to save her.

I am certain there is something dark in store for Arya. All Stark children cannot turn out to be on good side. GRRM, as we know him, won't allow that. She will probably assassinate someone loved by the readers, only to find out later that she erred.

Cat already had a bad time allowing trial by combat for Tyrion at Eyrie. She won't repeat the mistake twice. And as such, her new form doesn't care much about justice, but more about revenge. Brienne would not lure Jamie for getting killed. They will explain the circumstances to Stoneheart and continue on their mission to find Sansa. Someone in the Brotherhood might have stumbled on information about Littlefinger and his bastard daughter. Cat will see through it and dispatch Jamie and Brienne to save her.

I am certain there is something dark in store for Arya. All Stark children cannot turn out to be on good side. GRRM, as we know him, won't allow that. She will probably assassinate someone loved by the readers, only to find out later that she erred.

Good points. Since Brienne appears to be doing what Cat wants, can we assume that Pod is still alive (but probably hostage)? I'm having trouble seeing Brienne doing this just to save her own skin (or Cat assuming that Brienne will follow through without leverage). Also, why would Brienne lie to Jaime at first in order to spill the beans later? I think she's lying to save Pod's life, and that means she'll go through with it, unless she's just not a good enough liar to pull it off (which, actually, is totally plausible).

So, you're proposing that somehow Jaime and Brienne can convince Stoneheart to let them go search for Sansa together? That doesn't feel right to me. Why would Cat do that? There could be rumors that Sansa is alive, but I can't see there being much in the way of proof. Shadrich seems like the only one who might guess what's going on, and I can't see him helping any. That leaves maybe the Blackfish? I don't see enough time for that to play out.

What happens if Jaime figures out what's going on before they get back to Cat et al? It does seem likely to me that Brienne won't be able to lie convincingly enough to fool Jaime for long. What does he do when he finds out? Does he have some brilliant plan? I don't know, that doesn't feel right to me either. I think there's another intervention here somewhere that we don't know about yet and therefore can't really predict.

If it's 3 why is it a trap,

You'd assume that if Cat has resurrected Brienne then like DOndarion before her Cat has moved on and the Maid of Tarth is now leading the BWOB

Sounds like an awesome theory but i dont see too much of a reason for that besides Brienne and Jaime teaming up to do, what who knows.

there many are many possible outcomes that could take place here.

Maybe Brienne is tricking Uncat and getting jaime to help her out to free her companions, I dont think that Brienne will so easily give up jaime even for her new friends.

Brinne has come to admire Jaime because he actually treats her like a person instead of calling her wench all th etime. Brinne is allways getting insulted and any normal people she meets she likes, and anyone who actually acknowledges her as being a good and capable person, you can see that she would want someone like him to stay around.

Whatever the fate of Brinne or Jaime is that they wont go dawn without a fight.

I think Jaime’s only been missing for weeks at most, not months.

I wonder whether Ser Ilyn has gone missing as well.

Right, because the chapters in ADWD don't start at the end of AFFC, they go on side by side time wise with AFFC. When we start to see the KL and other Westeros chapters show up, events on both sides of the sea are back in sync time wise.

And BTW CW, why don't you write some poems for our little Rhymes of Ice and Fire thread? We are always looking for new bards. :D

Theory 1: Brienne screamed a word. The word was "Arya". She summoned Jaime not to a trap but on a mission. She is commissioned to head north and rescue "Arya Stark" as directed by Lady Stoneheart after Brienne told her that she has found Arya but the girl is in Bolton hands. They dont go on the mission, instead they go to talk sense into lady stoneheart, bring back the catelyn in her. They might prolly die together if that goes wrong. Jaime has Brienne's maidenhead.

Theory 2: Brienne screamed 'PROMISE' or 'OATHBREAKER'.

I keep saying this but Jaime's story isn't finished. His redemption arc isn't over yet. He's going to have some final confrontation with Cersei and I doubt GRRM would have written so much about Jaime training to fight again for that to go nowhere. Brienne probably won't make it though. I can see her sacrificing herself for Jaime. Either that or they end up with each other as the reverse beauty and the beast couple.

And BTW CW, why don't you write some poems for our little Rhymes of Ice and Fire thread? We are always looking for new bards. :D

You mean, new ones? I already wrote a whole bunch of them in this thread. The best is probably my Double Dactyl of Ice and Fire, but there are many others, too. I’m also rather found of this one, which is modelled off an old Jacobite rhyme. I have like three or four more scattered about that same thread, too, both short and long.

You mean, new ones? I already wrote a whole bunch of them in this thread. The best is probably my Double Dactyl of Ice and Fire, but there are many others, too. I’m also rather found of this one, which is modelled of an old Jacobite rhyme. I have like three or four more there, too, both short and long.

Yes, you know already I love your poetry!

Our thread does everything imagineable, from sonnets to haikku to free-form and a lot of songs writing using popular songs as models. Our current thread will close any hour now, since we're at about 440 posts, so v.5 will open. Our project for the weekend is to re-write Beatles songs for Westeros. So if you feel like having fun, join in!

Theory 1: Brienne screamed a word. The word was "Arya". She summoned Jaime not to a trap but on a mission. She is commissioned to head north and rescue "Arya Stark" as directed by Lady Stoneheart after Brienne told her that she has found Arya but the girl is in Bolton hands. They dont go on the mission, instead they go to talk sense into lady stoneheart, bring back the catelyn in her. They might prolly die together if that goes wrong. Jaime has Brienne's maidenhead.

Theory 2: Brienne screamed 'PROMISE' or 'OATHBREAKER'.

She screamed "sword". That was the choice she was given by UnCat: sword(kill Jaime Lannister) or rope (Brienne, Pod and Hyle get hanged). She could handle being hanged, but not Pod.

Archived