The future of Jaime and Brienne?

Jaime isn't dying anytime soon, one way or another he's got to kill Cersei, fight Tyrion's dragon, go to the Vale, fight Robert Strong and be forgiven by Bran. Brienne may have served her purpose though, but I doubt it.

I'm wondering if Jaime can lie good enough to postpone his death and make them all head to Winterfell to save "Arya". Moving BwB toward Winterfell would make interesting twist.

Depending on timeline if Jaime leaving with Brienne happens few weeks before Battle for Winterfell they have the time to arrive there in the middle of the battle. That way we would have lot of important characters on one location. Image Brienne/Stannis/Gendry (that does look like Robert) and UnCat/Boltons/Freys and even Theon (if he is still alive) in the same place.

Even if Jaime dies that would be still possible, but I also believe that Jaime will survive (as prisoner), just because he needs to kill Cercei. It most likely won't happen anyway. :drunk:

My thought has been that Brienne simply told him that the Hound held Sansa to draw him away without further questions and she'll reveal the true situation to him once they're away from his camp and retinue. I agree that Brienne is both innocent and naive, but she obviously isn't too naive to trick Jaime at all, since we know she drew him away from his camp with a lie.

I just wonder when she will tell him. It's obvious Jaime goes with her since he thinks she is unable to tell a lie, and I think Brienne will tell him, but when? She has to save it to the very end, or maybe she has some Cunning Plan?

I am leaning towards Brienne's plan being "single combat" as a trial method, but will UnCat grant her that? The rest of the BWB might, and as we know, if Brienne gets to fight someone, that person will most likely underestimate her because she is a woman. Personally I am leaning towards Lem in the Hound's helmet vs Brienne fighting for Jaime. It would also reinforce the Beauty and the Beast theme those two have going on.

I just wonder when she will tell him. It's obvious Jaime goes with her since he thinks she is unable to tell a lie, and I think Brienne will tell him, but when? She has to save it to the very end, or maybe she has some Cunning Plan?

I am leaning towards Brienne's plan being "single combat" as a trial method, but will UnCat grant her that? The rest of the BWB might, and as we know, if Brienne gets to fight someone, that person will most likely underestimate her because she is a woman. Personally I am leaning towards Lem in the Hound's helmet vs Brienne fighting for Jaime. It would also reinforce the Beauty and the Beast theme those two have going on.

Why are you all so bent of procuring a single combat trial? UnCat never gave a proper trial to Podrick, Hyle and Brienne, she just resorted to hang them. It would be repetitive on GRRM's part to introduce combat trials again in UnCat's presence, specially after Tyrion went scot-free. Beric Dondarrion was another matter, but UnCat was a mother who has been wronged. Also, she is a woman and will handle the matter emotionally. Jamie and Brienne will probably set out on a quest to rescue Sansa from Eyrie, along with few BwB members maybe.

Why are you all so bent of procuring a single combat trial? UnCat never gave a proper trial to Podrick, Hyle and Brienne, she just resorted to hang them. It would be repetitive on GRRM's part to introduce combat trials again in UnCat's presence, specially after Tyrion went scot-free. Beric Dondarrion was another matter, but UnCat was a mother who has been wronged. Also, she is a woman and will handle the matter emotionally. Jamie and Brienne will probably set out on a quest to rescue Sansa from Eyrie, along with few BwB members maybe.

Because Martin likes his duels. Count up how often he's resolved major conflicts with them, compared to other forms of resolution.

If it happens I think it'll be due to Thoros of Myr playing the religion card. Duels seem to be pretty holy to the Rh'llorites, and a lot of the BWB have converted. Really it comes down to figuring out the most dramatic way to solve the problem, because that'll make the best writing, and a duel is certainly the most obvious one, plus it would pay off the lengthy time showing us Jaime practising and failing with his left hand.

Because Martin likes his duels. Count up how often he's resolved major conflicts with them, compared to other forms of resolution.

If it happens I think it'll be due to Thoros of Myr playing the religion card. Duels seem to be pretty holy to the Rh'llorites, and a lot of the BWB have converted. Really it comes down to figuring out the most dramatic way to solve the problem, because that'll make the best writing, and a duel is certainly the most obvious one, plus it would pay off the lengthy time showing us Jaime practising and failing with his left hand.

If that turns out to be true, Jamie himself would not stand the combat by himself. And it would be too much of a ego problem to let Brienne fight for him.

Frankly, I am bored of duels. There is no new way GRRM can entertain us with those.

I can't see any other way for them to live without a Deus Ex Machina. We also have more than one faction in the BWB, with Thoros representing the other faction, so if there are people from both factions there, it may be possible to overrule Stoneheart. We have seen that the used Trial by Combat in the past from when Arya brought forth accusations against the Hound.

With Roose Bolton's "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" do you really think UnCat will agree to him going off on a little quest to find Sansa? Why on earth would she trust him? Without a divine intervention, I don't see how Jaime can get out from there apart from by Trial by Combat (and that assumes that someone will challenge Stoneheart's authority).

I can't see any other way for them to live without a Deus Ex Machina. We also have more than one faction in the BWB, with Thoros representing the other faction, so if there are people from both factions there, it may be possible to overrule Stoneheart. We have seen that the used Trial by Combat in the past from when Arya brought forth accusations against the Hound.

With Roose Bolton's "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" do you really think UnCat will agree to him going off on a little quest to find Sansa? Why on earth would she trust him? Without a divine intervention, I don't see how Jaime can get out from there apart from by Trial by Combat (and that assumes that someone will challenge Stoneheart's authority).

I agree with this. The only thing is that Jaime has not lied to her, and that would be good reason to trust him.

If that turns out to be true, Jamie himself would not stand the combat by himself. And it would be too much of a ego problem to let Brienne fight for him.

Frankly, I am bored of duels. There is no new way GRRM can entertain us with those.

I suggest you stop reading the novels then, because I guarantee there'll be more of them before the end of the tale. In fact at least one is guaranteed, and maybe two: Robert Strong murdering someone to defend Cersei's honour, and whoever defends Margaery's honour. I don't think either of those are going to happen between pages.

I suggest you stop reading the novels then, because I guarantee there'll be more of them before the end of the tale. In fact at least one is guaranteed, and maybe two: Robert Strong murdering someone to defend Cersei's honour, and whoever defends Margaery's honour. I don't think either of those are going to happen between pages.

What I'm wondering is, who steps up to fight against Ser Robert Strong? Lancel Lannister? Jamie? Maybe the Hound? Somebody else?

In the name of Daenerys Stormborn, the Mother of the Dragons, I, Stargareyen, The Free Rider challenge you, iamthedave, The Council Member, for a duel to defend my right to finish reading the novels! :box:

But seriously, Jamie couldn't care less of Cersei's honor. She's been fucking Lancel and the Kettlebacks and Moon Boy for all he knows.

The one who stands against Robert Strong needs be a Tyrell, since she has done her best to screw that family. Also, it needs to be a character who's not central to the plot.

Duel it out lads, I will close my eyes and pretend it never happened... I don't agree with the concept of Robert Strong in the first place, why carry on the legend of Gregor, GRRM is too infatuated with him.

I don't think George will write off Lady Stoneheart this soon. I also have an inkling that Jaime will become a sort of hero of the series, so he won't die yet.

But I really don't dare to guess what's happenign with there storyline, because it seems like anything can happen...

My own half-assed theory is that Jaime will in some way become a 'Kingsaver' at the cost of his own life, thus redeeming the 'Kingslayer' epithet which has bugged him all through the series. Which king this will be, I don't know. I definitely think he is destined for the Ice and Fire cemetery, though. Brienne? I love her to death, which means she will die. I really have no idea at all how Brienne's story will end.

In the name of Daenerys Stormborn, the Mother of the Dragons, I, Stargareyen, The Free Rider challenge you, iamthedave, The Council Member, for a duel to defend my right to finish reading the novels! :box:

Merely offering a suggestion so you can avoid disappointment. Duel-icious fun is on the horizon, don't ever doubt it.

What I'm wondering is, who steps up to fight against Ser Robert Strong? Lancel Lannister? Jamie? Maybe the Hound? Somebody else?

As hilarious as it would be if Jaime were involved, the time period makes it impossible. He'll be nowhere near King's Landing when the decision is made. Most likely it will be a Tyrell, as this will further divide the Lannister/Tyrell alliance as Varys predicted. Lancel would be fitting, mind.

Isn't the theory that Jaime and Sandor team up to take him down?

Jaime is about to get hanged by Stoneheart and Sandor is recuperating and becoming religious*** on the Quiet Isle so none of them are anywhere near Kings Landing, and none of them are in any shape or form ready for a duel. Lancel or one of the Kettleblacks (I think it's Osney) are the accusers so it would make sense for one of them to battle Robert Strong. Or another one of the Faith Militant.

*** I'm not sure such a staunch nihilist/atheist as Sandor would ever become super religious, but maybe he can find a bit more, I don't know, inner zen?

I believe what Brienne last word in affc was Ice to stop the brotherhood from hanging her and Pod . I think that Cat stopped when she heared for an explanation and Brienne told her about oath keeper and what Jaime had told her when the sword was given to her . So now Cat what to see if Brienne can be trusted by bringing Jaime to her and see if what his involvement really was and what he meant for Sansa . I have two theories with what will happen with Jaime either Cat will blame him for Roose Bolton's man killing Robb and kill Jaime straight or somehow Jaime will end up leading the brotherhood

I'm surprised so many people think Brienne is returning to the BwB with Jaime. I've certainly entertained the idea that she shouted Kingslayer or

Oathbreaker, but I've always felt more confident that it was Sansa or Arya's name and that she is allowed to continue her quest, with Pod and Hunt as

hostages (she obviously cares a great deal about Pod). Perhaps she is returning to BwB with Jaime, but I rather think she has gone to enlist his help.

It's been roughly a year since I read FfC, so I'm not sure what little details I maybe be forgetting about what she may be privvy to regarding Sansa and/or

Arya (the fake version) and their whereabouts. One thing I don't see is a great deal of deceit and subterfuge; Brienne is the most honourable Knight

in Westeros.

And, regarding Jamie as Cersei-slayer: he IS her 'little brother' is he not? Am I remembering correctly that she was the first of the two twins?

sorry for the goofy way this appeared...don't know how I managed that...

I'm surprised so many people think Brienne is returning to the BwB with Jaime.

by the end of ADWD we know, from Cersie, that Jaime's been missing for weeks, his whereabouts unknown. Now, if he did somehow survive wherever Brienne was taking him, why has he not been spotted or heard from since? The Kingslayer with the golden mane, golden hand, and legendary looks is not easy to miss. So, where is he?

Archived