The future of Jaime and Brienne?

I was rereading ASoS last week and noticed for the first time that Jaime's dream happened on a weirwood stump. I don't think it is prophetic of his death as much as her being a chance of salvation. She is the only thing that is from the present and his future while his attackers are from his past. I think it was arleady fulfilled in a way when he sent her to keep his word.

The other ghosts he confronts are all people he let down or saw him in a dishonorable light, and him offering to fight against them was a continuation of his arrogance. Asking her for help, was him breaking the cycle.

Jaime is "missing for weeks" means nothing, as was pointed out "the kingslayer" is pretty famous and would be spotted swinging from a tree.

Brienne and Jaime running off together - there are just too many possibilites.

I see 2 major possibilities

1. Jaime and Brienne are heading to the Vale to protect Sansa.

2. Jaime and Brienne are heading to the BwoB

I like the idea that Thoros of Myr will make a stand against UnCat, but that doesn't feel right. UnCat has been hanging people left and right and he didn't step up before.

The duel option fits Jaime and Brienne's personalities, but not UnCat. Tyrion got away from her before and that mistake will not be repeated.

It could be some combination of the duel/Thoros/3rd party intervention, but with Pod and Hyle prisoners I don't think they would just leave them.

Maybe the Valyrian blade will be able to kill UnCat?

I read the last couple of pages of this thread (didn't have time to read the whole thing) but great theories!

My vision of how it would all play out would be something like this...

Brienne was ordered to bring Stoneheart Jaime's head, but she doesn't have the heart to actually kill him and/or has some wild hope that LS will have mercy, so she decided to bring him to her alive (hence the lie about Sansa and the Hound).

Along the way, Brienne will feel overcome with guilt and will confess the truth of the situation to Jaime. Jaime, wanting to be honorable/do the right thing will willingly go with her to LS in order to save Brienne & Pod's lives.

When they get back to LS, she'll be pissed that Brienne did not follow her instructions, and use it as an excuse to say that she's going to kill both of them.

(This is where I'm not 100% sure what would happen. I keep flip-flopping :P). Knowing GRRM, in this scenario, both Jaime and Brienne would then die, end of (their) story. Perhaps in one last act of valor, Jaime would try to fight back/cause some sort of scene or distraction so that Brienne and Pod could escape (a longshot? Maybe. But i'm still convinced that when Jaime eventually dies (yes, when. I don't think Jaime will ever live to see the end of this series!), he'll have one last honorable act that will help complete his redemption before death).

The happier version of this scenario (this is the one I'm hoping for, even though GRRM is not known for being very merciful ;) ) ends with some sort of outside group/threat/something will come in just at the right time and deus ex machina will save the day. I haven't quite made up my mind on what or who this third party might be, but after reading the previous page, I really like the Nymeria idea. So I think that's the one I'm going to hope for :D

Anyway, that's just how I imagine it playing out (I've imagined it so much, in fact, that I've been on the verge of writing it out in fanfic form... *facepalm* I'm a horrible fangirl). Hopefully we'll know the answer (relatively) soon!

3.) Brienne was hung, but the word she yelled before she died made Catelyn realize she was wrong to hang her. She passes on the "Kiss of life" to Brienne. Jaime described Brienne as looking 10 years older, but that could also just be a result of her feverish episode after her encounter with Biter. This however would explain Brienne's reason to lead Jaime into a trap. Both Beric and Catelyn were described to be "different people" in their ressurected forms.

Lady Stonehart will never give up her gift before she gets vengeance on the Freys, not even if she thinks hanging Brienne is wrong, revenge is stronger

GRRM knows what he is doing by keeping silent about Jaime. He's the Byronic hero of the series and by keeping him in the dark, GRRM is making us salivate. He's done it before in ACOK when Jaime was imprisoned; he's mentioned throughout that book, teasingingly, then GRRM gave us an awesome scene at the very end that builds up our expectation for ASOS. I was in love with Tyrion until that scene, and then I cruelly dumped him for his more mesmerising older brother.

Brienne will not lead Jaime blindly to his death since she loves him. We know from her scenes with Renly that she loves fiercely, almost obsessively. She loves Jaime for the same reason she loved Renly, because he saw her worth and gave her recognition (in the form of a Valyrian sword, FTW!). Throughout Book 4, her love for Jaime was subconscious (her dreams, her cutting off that fella's hand to avenge him) but the BwB made her face her feelings by calling her the Kingslayer's Whore. This will change how she is around him for sure. She is a very honest character, and whilst I doubt she will express her feelings outright to Jaime, she will likely tell him the truth of the ploy. Podrick makes it more complicated, but by telling Jaime the truth, it gives him chance to hatch a cunning plan (or at least, I hope...)

I also think there's going to be some wandering in the snow going on. Stannis was stuck three days off Winterfell for what felt like a freaking century and a half. We know at the end of Book 5 that the snows have reached KL, which means they could be heavy in the riverlands. Brienne and Jaime may have found somewhere to keep a low profile for a while and hence gone off the radar. New Jaime is a cautious man, after all... so for once, this annoying snow might come in useful.

Cue romance ...

There's been a lot said about Jaime's sexuality in recent chapters. GRRM expends a lot of energy in this latest chapter explaining Jaime's views of Lord Jonos' fancy piece. He also makes frequent mention of the toothless whore from Harrenhal. His narcissistic relationship with his twin is all but over and he's beginning to recognise other women's bodies, even women with serious imperfections. And we know from the scene in the Harrenhal tubs that at least one *ahem* part of him finds Brienne attractive. I would enjoy reading a romance between the two. I would enjoy (in a sadistic way) reading their relationship being destroyed when he's forced to return to KL.

I also agree with everyone that his story is not done yet. He is finally wanting to tell Tommen and Myrcella the truth, and thus bond with them. Whilst I doubt he'll get the 'happy ever after' he craves, I really, really do not want this part of his story arc to finish before it's really begun.

The short version:

Brienne yells sword.....goes to get Jamie.....leads him back but tells him why......Stoneheart forces them to fight Thunderdome style to the amusement of the brothers without Banners. Jamie refuses and tells Brienne to finish him.......Brienne throws down oathkeeper and does the same......Thoros steps in and says enough is enough Stoneheart is crazy and she was always a crappy leader even as Catlyn....Stoneheart sees the tide turning and runs off screaching to cause further damage later in the story.....Jamie takes his lady in 1 1/2 arms.

I ship it.

The short version:

Brienne yells sword.....goes to get Jamie.....leads him back but tells him why......Stoneheart forces them to fight Thunderdome style to the amusement of the brothers without Banners. Jamie refuses and tells Brienne to finish him.......Brienne throws down oathkeeper and does the same......Thoros steps in and says enough is enough Stoneheart is crazy and she was always a crappy leader even as Catlyn....Stoneheart sees the tide turning and runs off screaching to cause further damage later in the story.....Jamie takes his lady in 1 1/2 arms.

I ship it.

Or maybe Jaime and Brienne kill each other, declaring their love while dying in a sort of Romeo and Juliet scene.

Then Thoros, moved to compassion, faces Stoneheart and she flees/is killed. The BWB goes all-in in spreading chaos in the Riverlands.

Or maybe Jaime and Brienne kill each other, declaring their love while dying in a sort of Romeo and Juliet scene.

Then Thoros, moved to compassion, faces Stoneheart and she flees/is killed. The BWB goes all-in in spreading chaos in the Riverlands.

Maybe i am to much a romantic in this one instance(I consider romeo + juliet a tragedy not a romance)

I really think Brienne + Jamies sacrifice for each other is what finally moves Thoros to sack up. I really like the idea of Jamie completing his journey from golden prince in love with a golden princess to losing everything...rallying back....and leading an outlaw band with his unactractive lady to try and undo some of the damage of his father.

I just don't think Stonehands has that in her. So i think she leaves on her own....maybe to go Lych style and raise an undead army from the riverlands to march upon the Twins. That i would liek to read :drool:

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but what do you guys think the fate of Jaime and Brienne will be?

Here are some possibilities I've considered:

2.) Brienne is leading Jaime into a trap to save the lives of Ser Hyle and Podrick. Perhaps the word she yelled out was "Jaime!" or "Kingslayer!" Although Brienne's fondness of Jaime and whole honour and oathkeeper thing makes this seem unlikely, being on the edge of death can change a person in such a way. Maybe Cersei will lose the trial by combat, and her and Jaime will be excecuted simultaneously. "We came in this world together, we will leave it together..."

The word which Brienne yelled is "Sword", it was confirmed by Martin himself in a pannel where one fan asked him.

And yes, if someone gets the Kiss of Life from Thoros, it sounds like Brienne is more likely. But ugh, UnBrienne? It's neater if it's Jaime, since Brienne already said at Harrenhall when he came walking through the mist in the bath that he looked "Half a corpse and half a God".

Ooooh....good point Lyanna. I had totally forgotten about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am normally not a sucker for love stories. I like me a good battle, lots of blood and gore and retribution.But this had me at "I dreamt of you". My womanly heart sighed that blasted love sigh. I know George is fabulous at dashing our hopes and shocking us with killing people off and such, but the.one.thin.I.want is for Jaime and Brienne to find some small happiness together. I think Brienne is trying to save Pod but she also wants to see Jaime. She loves him whether she wants to admit it or not. I think UnCat will go to hang Jaime and Brienne will throw herself in the midst to save him. I am all for a cheesy Pocohontas/John scene. I am hopeful that Brienne will be able to convince UnCat to see Jaime is worthy to their cause and I would damn sure love to see Jaime kill Cersei. This is all highly unlikely, I know, because Martin doesn't give a fig what we want lol. But, we can dream lol.

I agree! I want to see Jaime and Brienne alive and whole and together at the end of the series! I really like love stories that feature an antihero or former villain on the road to redemption, who meets that special someone who makes them a better person. I feel like Brienne is probably the most morally sound of all the characters in the series and it's incredibly frustrating that she ended up in Lady Stoneheart's grasp while trying to carry out the mission Catelyn Stark entrusted her with, but, that being said, the choice she's given is the life of an innocent or the life of a Lannister. It's not much of a choice; Jaime must stand trial. (Not much of a trial with this crew, as Brienne knows, but she's determined to give Podrick a chance at survival at least.) The fact that she is misleading Jaime bothers me a little, because I feel if they spoke openly about this situation they could possibly figure out a way around it. I don't believe Lady Stoneheart cares about the fates of Sansa and Arya any longer. I think she only seeks vengeance.

That being said, I love the idea... someone mentioned it in an earlier post... of Bran intervening on Jaime's behalf. I couldn't help but feel Bran and Jaime's fates are a bit linked ever since Jaime lost his hand. (Jaime took from Bran what he loved most, and in turn lost what he himself loved most- a divine justice sort of thing.) I don't see much evidence supporting the idea of Bran's intervention, since his indoctrination into the ways of the greenseer hasn't shown us anything of Jaime, Catelyn, Brienne, or any of the characters involved, but it's a lovely theory.

As far as Jaime and Brienne's future is concerned, however, it seems that they're in the hands of one of the most predictable characters in the series, whose only purpose is death, so Jaime at least would be doomed. I don't want to believe this, and I feel their story is far from over... I can say with certainty their future is uncertain. ;)

The reason this is so hard to guess an outcome is because I think this is the one case where we really have very little to go off of. The storyline for Jaime and Brienne is as wrapped up as it possibly could be at the point we are left off. We only know he is going to the BWB with Brienne under false pretenses...we have no hints. It could really go anywhere.

The one bit we do have is Jaime's dream. At best we can use this to predict his actions in an open ended set of circumstances. IF they are to battle to the death I can envision Jaime being reminded of the dream "when her fire dies so do you" (paraphrased) so if he ends up winning (doubtful since he hasn't had ample time to adjust to his offhand) he would then refuse to finish off Brienne. Or Brienne will throw the fight and Jaime will refuse to finish her off. I'm of the opinion that BR sent this vision to Jaime for a reason. Jaime's action of refusing to kill Brienne will then coincide with something BR/Bran are able to affect and Jaime and Brienne will get out alive... I just can't see either of their stories ending with Lady Stoneheart, but I could see it as the start of a new chapter in their roles in the story.

Where they go next could be anywhere from the Vale, to WF, to the wall - I am just not confident at all we know which way to go. Hell, they could even get split up - Brienne to the Vale and Jaime up north?

On a side note I am dying for the Blackfish and Jaime to be forced into fighting together in a situation much like Brienne and Jaime's initial relationship.

I think until the 1/3 of the book will contain jaime and brienne arriving there, jaime getting some torture having an intense conversation with uncat. Then there will be a fight between jaime and brienne and at a very heated moment when brienne almost swings the sword to jaime something will happen and jaime and brienne will go to another quest tp find sansa

Archived