The future of Jaime and Brienne?

I think that Brienne yelled sword to buy enough time to tell them about Oathkeeper, the sword that Jaime gave to Brienne to go and find Sansa. She then goes and finds Jaime and tells him about the Hound being with Sansa (possibly referring to Lem as he now has the Hounds helm, right?) just as a ploy to get him to go alone. S'not like she can say UnCat is there with Jaime's men all around them. Then...

Either UnCat will kill them both,

Or she, or someone else in her party will convince her, to simply allow them time to complete their mission and find Sansa. Maybe she'll even go with them so she can talk to Littlefinger?

Also, another possibility, for those who think that Jaime will be given a trail for some reason even though UnCat has just been straight up hanging those she wishes to see die until this point: perhaps this "trial" will be the moment Jaime has been training his left hand for and maybe he'll succeed. In which case I reckon they'll probably kill him anyway. Heh.

I think that Brienne yelled sword to buy enough time to tell them about Oathkeeper, the sword that Jaime gave to Brienne to go and find Sansa. She then goes and finds Jaime and tells him about the Hound being with Sansa (possibly referring to Lem as he now has the Hounds helm, right?) just as a ploy to get him to go alone. S'not like she can say UnCat is there with Jaime's men all around them. Then...

Either UnCat will kill them both,

Or she, or someone else in her party will convince her, to simply allow them time to complete their mission and find Sansa. Maybe she'll even go with them so she can talk to Littlefinger?

Also, another possibility, for those who think that Jaime will be given a trail for some reason even though UnCat has just been straight up hanging those she wishes to see die until this point: perhaps this "trial" will be the moment Jaime has been training his left hand for and maybe he'll succeed. In which case I reckon they'll probably kill him anyway. Heh.

Not if she makes Brienne fight Jaime in teh trial

The way i see it next chapter of either Jaime or Brienne will find all 3 of them together.Killing 2 POV characters in their very first chapter at WoW seems somewhat unlikely to me,therefore anything is possible.I think we may have these two general scenarios as most possible

1)One of them is killed during the confrontation with LS.Maybe in a fight between of them similar to JS and Quorin,meaning that one of them will deliberately die in order to save the other

2)Bye-bye Uncat.This story can't go on for ever.An intelligent blood-thirsty zombie who commands a guerrila party is something that has to end at some point.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but what do you guys think the fate of Jaime and Brienne will be?

Here are some possibilities I've considered:

1.) The most unlikely case, take the scenerio at face value. Brienne somehow escaped her hanging, Sansa escapes the Vale and the Hound is still out there alive. Jaime realizes his love for her and they get it on? Very unlikely but you never know with Georgie.

2.) Brienne is leading Jaime into a trap to save the lives of Ser Hyle and Podrick. Perhaps the word she yelled out was "Jaime!" or "Kingslayer!" Although Brienne's fondness of Jaime and whole honour and oathkeeper thing makes this seem unlikely, being on the edge of death can change a person in such a way. Maybe Cersei will lose the trial by combat, and her and Jaime will be excecuted simultaneously. "We came in this world together, we will leave it together..."

EDIT: I'm aware GRRM confirmed the word to be "Sword!" but the same idea applies.

3.) Brienne was hung, but the word she yelled before she died made Catelyn realize she was wrong to hang her. She passes on the "Kiss of life" to Brienne. Jaime described Brienne as looking 10 years older, but that could also just be a result of her feverish episode after her encounter with Biter. This however would explain Brienne's reason to lead Jaime into a trap. Both Beric and Catelyn were described to be "different people" in their ressurected forms.

Or maybe it is a mix of one of these theories, or something completely different altogether! What do you guys think?

The word she called out was sword. as LS told her "sword or rope" Grrm has confirmed it..

Jaime gets to Lady stoneheart. demands a trial by combat. Brienne gives jaime her sword and gets taken away. out comes lady stoneheart's champion with a helmet. Jaime wins. Sees that he has just killed brienne. breaks down. kills lady stoneheart. her life force goes into the sword. jaime goes to KL and kills cersei, the lions heart. Jaime heads north after hearing about the WW. Jon is alive, takes the sword and plunges the sword into the equivalent of nissa nissa.

Okay got a bit carried away.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but what do you guys think the fate of Jaime and Brienne will be?

Here are some possibilities I've considered:

1.) The most unlikely case, take the scenerio at face value. Brienne somehow escaped her hanging, Sansa escapes the Vale and the Hound is still out there alive. Jaime realizes his love for her and they get it on? Very unlikely but you never know with Georgie.

2.) Brienne is leading Jaime into a trap to save the lives of Ser Hyle and Podrick. Perhaps the word she yelled out was "Jaime!" or "Kingslayer!" Although Brienne's fondness of Jaime and whole honour and oathkeeper thing makes this seem unlikely, being on the edge of death can change a person in such a way. Maybe Cersei will lose the trial by combat, and her and Jaime will be excecuted simultaneously. "We came in this world together, we will leave it together..."

EDIT: I'm aware GRRM confirmed the word to be "Sword!" but the same idea applies.

3.) Brienne was hung, but the word she yelled before she died made Catelyn realize she was wrong to hang her. She passes on the "Kiss of life" to Brienne. Jaime described Brienne as looking 10 years older, but that could also just be a result of her feverish episode after her encounter with Biter. This however would explain Brienne's reason to lead Jaime into a trap. Both Beric and Catelyn were described to be "different people" in their ressurected forms.

Or maybe it is a mix of one of these theories, or something completely different altogether! What do you guys think?

The word she yelled out was, "Sword" which means she pledged Stoneheart that she would lead Jaime to her. (Stoneheart had given her the option of "noose" or "sword".

What happens after that is anybodies guess.

Any chances that Sansa is really with the Hound at the time Brienne finds Jaime?

The last Jaime chapter in AFFC is after the last Alayne chapter in AFFC. The Jaime chapter in DwD happens after the events in AFFC. I know all evidences of BwB spying in Jaime's camp etc points towards Brienne trapping Jaime, still..

Jaime will talk himself out of a hanging. He's still actively looking for her daughters via Brienne, he has not fought Tullys, and he's in a better position that most to continue the search via his influence as the Lord Commander of the Secret Service. I don't think Catelyn or Stoneheart are fans of the trial by combat after she saw Tyrion squirm free due to one. She nearly hanged Brienne because nobody could confirm her story. Jaime can. He's got a golden tongue besides and can convince with the best.

Jaime will talk himself out of a hanging. He's still actively looking for her daughters via Brienne, he has not fought Tullys, and he's in a better position that most to continue the search via his influence as the Lord Commander of the Secret Service. I don't think Catelyn or Stoneheart are fans of the trial by combat after she saw Tyrion squirm free due to one. She nearly hanged Brienne because nobody could confirm her story. Jaime can. He's got a golden tongue besides and can convince with the best.

The problem with this is that LS is rather driven.I mean even before dying Cat sentenced Tyrion to death even though she had no proof.

He may still save his life but i don't think it would be through sweet talking.And also there's this rather important issue with the "Jaimie Lannister sends his regards". As readers we know that poor Jaime had nothing to do with the Red Wedding but i don't think that LS thinks the same.

I think there are mostly two ways it can go down, assuming they both went to LS:

1) They somehow managed to escape by force (deus ex machina, whatever you will), with LS probably dying in the process

2) They bargain with LS and she asks them to do something for her (Red Wedding 2.0, killing X,.. no clue on the specifics).

My fear for Brienne as a character is that - with Davos and Sam - she's about the most honourable in the book series. Is she adaptable enough to survive for long?

Before I begin, why exclude Ned?

That is not an easy question to answer philosophically. Brienne's sense of duty and honor could cost her in the long run (you know, LIKE NED). This more-or-less trap she's setting for Jamie could go a million different ways, as is the case with all of the cliffhangers in ADwD (well done George). All that being said, I think the questions you should ask yourself with Brienne, as well as all the characters you love, is are they necessary for future plot points, does their death or survival enhance the story dramatically one way or the other, and ultimately, are they expendable? Sadly, Brienne, IMO, only plays minor roles in most theoretical plot outcomes, does not dramatically enhance the story arc by surviving (her death would be powerful stuff), and is completely expendable. I don't expect her to die right away, but I also don't expect her to be alive in the last book. But then again, I come from the camp that says that between 50%-75% of the remaining main and semi-main characters are going to die before it's all said and done. And that will include a lot of fan favorites (Expect Bronn! Not even GRRM has the cojones to kill Bronn!)

I meant 'of the characters still active, looking ahead in the series' but wasn't clear.

Brienne is one of those characters who adds complexity and soul to the series, fleshes it out, but, yeah, she's not going to be in the running for a cold, uncomfortable chair...

Right from the start her quest seems a bit pointless - we know where Arya and Sansa are - her role seems to be more about presenting another side of life from the POV of someone who doesn't fit in. Davos and Sam are linked in the plot to key characters, Brienne has a roving role, shifting from key characters (when they die).

Brienne has a roving role, shifting from key characters (when they die).

Also ,through her arc, we get a glimpse on the everyday life and hardships of the Westeros smallfolk during these times of war(or post war if you prefer)

All of you are forgetting the prophecy made to Cersei which states 'her valanqor will kill her'. Cersei is certain it is Tyrion, but GRRM is sure to twist it as Jaime being the answer.

I think Jaime is the "valanqor" as well. I think if she had to pick between twins she would rather have Cersei dead. And Jaime is the ONLY one who could get close enough to do this. I'm sure Brienne has already explained to Cat about Jaime's reform. And him trying to keep his oath. He sent her to rescue Arya and Sansa and he hasn't raised a hand against the Tullys or the other river lords. I bet she demands he goes to kill Cersei... I don't know how she would "make" him do it. Maybe threaten to kill Brienne...

• 5 months later...

Is there perhaps a clue though in the future of Brienne and Jaime from the TV version? It is of note that the TV version has NOT chosen to include Lady Stoneheart in their episodes. This would not have happened without G.R.R.M.'s approval, right? Thus, logically, if Lady Stoneheart is not included in the TV storyline, then would it be safe to assume that the LS/Brienne/Jaime confrontation in WoW will not result in a significant death? If not, G.R.R.M would have said something to the effect of "No, we have to keep Lady Stoneheart in the TV episoides because she is going to play an important part in the death of (Brienne) or (Jaime)."

Right?

Archived