FWIW, I heard a lot more of Aiden Gillen's natural accent in this episode, particularly when he was so furious with Tyrion. He's normally very good at accent consistency, so I'm not sure what was up. But then, compared to the otherwise-excellent Peter Dinklage, you'd practically think Gillen was a born Englishman. :lol:

I have a feeling that Renly will die at the end of the next episode...maybe not, and hope not though. Love the relationship between the three of them. But maybe we'll be let into the pain of Loras afterwards.

Yeah, he's a gonner next week.

FWIW, I heard a lot more of Aiden Gillen's natural accent in this episode, particularly when he was so furious with Tyrion. He's normally very good at accent consistency, so I'm not sure what was up. But then, compared to the otherwise-excellent Peter Dinklage, you'd practically think Gillen was a born Englishman. :lol:

I thought I heard a bit of Irish Podism in there! Nice to know my ears can still differentiate the different British/Irish/Scotish dialects. ;)

Theon rant was not in the book. Great episode though and I did like the rant. Shows his vulnerability and his want to be apart of a family. Starks never treated him like family and neither do the Greyjoys who are his family.

Agreed.

Disturbing homophobia displayed by some of the posters. Not cool at all. One of the great things about the book series and it's fans is how intelligent and worldly they are, not like the typical fantasy fanboy. To this forum's credit, the vast majority of the posters here are thoughtful, insightful and add to the dialogue/theories surrounding this wonderful series. That's why it sticks out so much when homophobic neanderthals manage to find their way here.

The Damphair blessing scene was epic. Gorgeous music in the background and the pain on Theon's face as he knows he is selling out the people that raised him. That look as he turns toward Balon and Asha captures hundreds of pages of character development. For anyone not big on the idea of a screen adaption, this scene is why I like it. If only they had an internal dialogue saying, "You must remember your name"

One complaint.... why is Hot Pie not shouting "HOT PIE!" during the fight.

Lord Commander Mormont and the Dumbest Steward in the Realm: So, Jon turns to Mormont and says, “He sends the boys to the White Walkers.” And then he looks at Mormont, has a realization (light dawns on marble head) and says “You knew!!!” All filled with righteous indignation. And Mormont looks at Jon (and the actor is game; he’s trying to show that he’s rueful about what he knows and why its necessary) but in a brief flash I half expected Mormont to say:

“Jon, for fuck’s sake- he lives in the middle of nowhere with a house filled with daughters who he fucks and gets pregnant who then give him more daughters! Do you think I just thought, “Guess he’s due for a son one of these days?” You figured it out all on your own? No shit Sherlock- I figured out that he’s doing something to the boys. I'm so happy you're here!”

And then I would have loved it had he said, “Oh, wait that’s right… you grew up in Winterfell… my bad…”

Seriously- who COULDN’T have figured that one out? Did we need ANY of that?

Overall, best episode of the seasons- hitting its stride big time.

Well no. He must have thought he sent the boys away to another village or something. How could he guess he was sacrifcing them to White walkers? He pieced together that the sons were sent away, not just the manner of which it was done, which is why Jon is so disgusted/surprised.

Edited by Hear Us Roar

The Damphair blessing scene was epic. Gorgeous music in the background and the pain on Theon's face as he knows he is selling out the people that raised him. That look as he turns toward Balon and Asha captures hundreds of pages of character development. For anyone not big on the idea of a screen adaption, this scene is why I like it. If only they had an internal dialogue saying, "You must remember your name"

One complaint.... why is Hot Pie not shouting "HOT PIE!" during the fight.

If i recall he has yet to be cast and that was just a priest.

Well no. He must have thought he sent the boys away to another village or something. How could he guess he was sacrifcing them to White walkers? He pieced together that the sons were sent away, not just the manner of which it was done, which is why Jon is so disgusted/surprised.

So... Your theory is the guy who marries and rapes his daughters, and keeps them captive against their will suddenly becomes a humanitarian with his sons... OK, I'll let you go with that one

The only thing more annoying than homophobia are the users who try to derail the thread by pointing it out.

I thought it was a great episode all around. Yoren shined in the last 5 minutes, Tyrion's scene was well done, and the southern scenes were pretty good too. Theon however, stole the show.

Could someone point out what exactly Theon's letter said? I didn't catch it.

I mentioned most of my opinions on this great episode in the episode rating thread so I won't re-hash it here but I'll just say that I love how the show is portraying the Greyjoys and are making them far more interesting than they ever were in the books. Sometimes the editing down and streamlining that the TV show provides actually works much better. Balon bitchslapping Theon across the room was definitely a MOMENT! lol

Also, I said it in the other thread but I love the scene between Tyrion and Cersei. Instead of her coming off as a dumb shrew in this particular scene as she did in the book, she is portrayed as a scared mother afraid to lose her daughter. It is often said that Cersei's only redeeming quality is the love she has for her children. To her, Tyrion is just another man waltzing into her life, telling her what to do and directing things for her, even the lives of her own children. Her frustration with her position as a woman is palpable in this scene and Lena Headey played in magnificently. Loved, loved, loved this scene.

Renly and Loras was a much welcomed respite from all the T&A that we're constantly barraged with on this show. All they did was kiss, by the reaction of some of the small minded posters in this thread you would have thought that they showed Renly banging Loras from a leather harness. Get OVER it. Gay people exist in the world and they aren't going anywhere!

Loved the scene with Margaery as well as it sets up her intrigues in King's Landing perfectly. The actress Natalie Dormer is perfect for the role, just as she was as Queen Anne in "The Tudors". Brienne was also perfectly cast!

LOVED Tyrion's test of Pycelle/Varys/LF - easily my favorite part of the episode.

LOVED Brienne - I think the show will greatly benefit from having her story arc being viewed instead of told, because she's already more fascinating to watch then she was to read about. (The same goes for Sam, who I enjoy much more in the show than in the books).

LOVED Sam and Gilly. I appreciate the POV structure in the book, but sometimes the characters get so fixated...

LOVED when Sansa said she hoped the fighting was over soon so she could declare her love of the king. (Shouldn't Cersei sympathize? :devil: )

Undecided about Yara, although I totally want that Greyjoy kraken fireplace. She's described as witty, not extremely charismatic, so it'll boil down for me to whether she seems convincing when she's with the ships.

Renly was greatly improved from last season, although I still feel like he's missing something. Margaery was great. But Loras... ugh. That's all. It's not because he's gay. It's because he's unattractive (hey being beautiful and strong albeit skinny is an important part of who he is in the book) and whiny and silly. Totally outmatched by his sister.

HATED Shae. There are a lot of possible ways her character could have gone that would be better than this. The whole mysterious foreigner not low-born thing annoys the shit out of me - instead of being an opportunistic prostitute in a very precarious position, she's attaching herself to Tyrion for unknown reasons? What I really don't like is that this Shae doesn't seem to draw Tyrion in at all. She's not sexy. She's physically beautiful, of course, but I don't feel like there's anything about her that's just about irresistible to Tyrion, and irrationally so, where he couldn't just find a more cooperative whore. I know that some posters have said that maybe show Tryion likes that she's more assertive, but he kind of just seems annoyed. He's lacking a lot of the emotional neediness that fueled his delusions about book Shae. If I actually believed she was irresistible to him, it would go a long ways. But I don't.

i was disappointed that arya & co didn't get to fight, but i understand. there was so much stuff going on already. i also agree with everything said about sansa/actress. i thought it was very good acting as well.

also, the show has converted me to like the greyjoys.

i wish they would have killed master pycelle or something. i doubt anyone will agree but i think it would have been more dramatic. i thought it was a great scene, but his beard removal was a bit meh. :mellow: i loved the "feed it to the goats" line. great shout out!

i love how everyone says "it was the best episode of the season!" and i hope we keep saying it every week until our minds are blown at the finale like last year and wow is this a run on sentence or what?

Edited by Inigo Montoya the Second

What other villiage? Its not that he knew that he was giving them to the WWs; more like "What did you think he was doing with them?" The point is that the guy ONLY has women around! No boys no older men. And he's boffing the girls. I thought it was pretty obvious that AT THE VERY LEAST he was throwing them in the woods to die from exposure.

So... Your theory is the guy who marries and rapes his daughters, and keeps them captive against their will suddenly becomes a humanitarian with his sons... OK, I'll let you go with that one

There is no indication of Craster's religious beliefs or relationship with the Walkers. There is also no indication that he kills them.

Again John was surprised by his alliance with the walkers. The only thing he knows about them is that they mindlessly attack people, not them dealing with other humans.

So you can take his surprise from the Whites

The only thing more annoying than homophobia are the users who try to derail the thread by pointing it out.

Bigotry can't be ignored or it will spread like a festering wound. Sweeping glaringly ignorant comments under the rug does nothing to solve the issue.

But other than that, I'm sorry if you thought I was de-railing the thread, although matters of misogyny are often debated on this board, so why not homophobia which is also plays a part in the actual series?

My only gripe is Arya not shouting WINTERFELL ,and Hot Pie following up with a charge and shout of HOT PIE!

Outside of that, very good episode. I like Asha more than most I think,

OMMMMGGG thats so right they did say that during the fight :( That would've taken away from Yoren's death i think. BUT i certainly would've liked to have seen it included in the scene!

And i also agree with you, i like Asha and the girl who plays her well. :cheers:

Regarding Yara/Asha,

I know the previous thread from Ep. 202, devolved into talks of her looks. I'm still not a fan of how unattractive she is, but in my attempt to look past that...

The actress playing Yara/Asha is all sorts of wrong. Her facial expression is more grim and dour, rather than bold and fiery, yet playful. Her posture is hunched, rather than standing straight with confidence. Put simply, she looks and acts like Yara is some cruel bully.

I think she's the biggest casting mistake the show has made. Would've been second only to Shae, but Shae's a pretty minor character compared to Asha/Yara, so I'm not as upset if I find Shae to be extremely annoying on the show.