arya and tyrion are doing a great job so far!!! loved brienne of course and theon, yoren, and bran were nice to watch in this episode as well. poor mastery pycelle, though bronn was cute. even though i would've liked a million times more to have watched the serpentine steps moment between sansa and sandor in this episode instead of sansa and shae i liked it all the same. i wanted to cry when cersei was being all mean to sansa during dinner, while her kids are just adorable! but sophie turner really managed to show the fear the prospect of soon marrying joffrey brings to her. and well, overall a great episode imo. and it was nice how it ended- poor lommy though

That's why Allen is a good casting decision for Theon, he's not ugly, he's even attractive to a certain extent, but there's something untrustworthy, unhealthy even, about him that just corresponds perfectly to Theon.

However, isn't Euron supposed to be smoking hot ? At least that's how he's pictured.

Two last remarks : do you think they'll already start expanding on the Children of the Forest ?

And is it me or has Sansa/Sophie Turner really changed since episode 1 ?

Yara or Whatever The Show Named Her: Somebody else said it and it bares repeating: this “Theon’s Sister” possesses none of the charisma and polish of the book’s character. Now, part of that HAS to be that you have to cut SOMETHING. This was Theon’s episode, not Yara’s. Hence, she has to be muzzled. But … how about a little something? And she looks so cowed he whole time.

She probably shouldn't have the charisma. Remember, she's doesn't have the pull that Victarion nor Euron has. It's not just because she's female, but it's well established that she doesn't have the commanding presence nor the popularity required. She's supposed to be somewhat unlikeable.

Could someone point out what exactly Theon's letter said? I didn't catch it.

Robb,

I hope this reaches you in time. My father has rejected the offer and plans to attack the North, raiding the shores and taking Deepwood Motte. Mobilize your army and make for the North before its too late. I'll write again when I can.

Theon

The Voice of Theon Greyjoy: As others have discussed, the books wrote a part of Theon; the novels make the good arguer in all of us beg Theon to just SAY what is so OBVIOUS- “Lord Father, why do you hate me do much for being a hostage to Eddard Stark when I was a hostage to pay for your … buffoonery?!?!?” We go through a whole book with the READER asking that open and obvious question; one that never leaves Theon’s lips.

And then tonight it all came rushing out in a torrent! Theon Greyjoy finally at long last, speaks. Not the pissy half-measures as it was in the books, but that honest and true message- “Why do you hate me for being a reminder of your mistake?” Finally, at long last Theon sounds like a person who can think and feel straight.

And I loved that in the middle of that tirade, that CLOSE shot of Balon Greyjoy. And in that FUCKING actor was pure brilliance- he almost…. Just almost … looks like he empathizes with Theon. As if he’s about to … be an honest man and not a shitty, shitty (and I cannot stress this enough s-h-i-t-t-y) Lord. That may have been the shot of the series staring into the deep darkness of Balon Greyjoy’s pain-wracked eyes.

Well said! I can't stand the non-Asha Greyjoys in the books, but it seems it's the other way around in the TV series... haha. Asha is a bit disappointing. Not because she isn't hawt, I really couldn't care less about that, but she lacks, well, everything else... :| I'm still giving her time to shine, though, but I'm a bit disappointed.

Balon is great though, I was really impressed, and I liked Theon's rant. He came across as a bit whiny-sounding but completely justified, and I like that he stood up to his bullying dad. The actor was great, really nailed Theon's conflicting emotions there.

(Honorable Mention: Thank you for not keeping the lame joke that it was a “Rainbow Guard.” Yes, we get it- he’s gay. No need to beat us over the head with it)

Actually GRRM has said that the homosexuality connotation of the rainbow didn't even cross his mind. Can't be bothered to provide a citation right now, but, yeah, he said that interviews.

William: So, Arya just couldn’t come up with the prayer herself? She needed somebody to give her the idea? Meh….

Without internal monologues, it would have been weird if she suddenly started reciting the names all the time. Non-readers would be a bit baffled. I was a bit annoyed too that they removed a bit of agency from Arya, but I understand why they did it. Plus, if she has to get the idea from someone else, it might as well be a motherfucking boss like Yoren. <3

To me it seems out of character for book Theon, because he never showed any kind of remorse whatsoever. He was able to forget about Robb pretty easily. But I can see why they're doing it...it will give him a more heart wrenching storyline. Although I like the book version because it's a little more subtle and open for interpretation.

I knew there would be a bunch of comments about the Renly/Loras scene. I actually found it less uncomfortable than the Ros scenes (maybe because they love each other).

The LF cleaning off the mouth of his worker grossed me out far more than any guy-on-guy scene would. BUT the way Marg's character was spun was awesome. It really drives home the politics of marriage.

I really enjoyed this episode. Brienne was killer. It flowed well and covered a lot of the book without it feeling like there were holes in it. Varys and Tyrion are perfect together as are Theon/Balon.

Only scene that sort of lost me was the Sansa/Shae scene. But I'm not a big fan of the Shae character.

Gilly and Sam were cute too.

I was surprised Joff wasn't in the episode. But the dinner with the Lannister's and Sansa was a great look into the sweetness of Tommen.

Good episode. Considerably better than this thread has been.

I'm interested to see where they go with Shae over the next couple seasons. Like everyone else, I'm not a fan of the character currently, as I think her attitude and chemistry with Tyrion don't really work with where their story goes in the books; but hey, I'll wait and see.

The Voice of Theon Greyjoy: As others have discussed, the books wrote a part of Theon; the novels make the good arguer in all of us beg Theon to just SAY what is so OBVIOUS- “Lord Father, why do you hate me do much for being a hostage to Eddard Stark when I was a hostage to pay for your … buffoonery?!?!?” We go through a whole book with the READER asking that open and obvious question; one that never leaves Theon’s lips.

And then tonight it all came rushing out in a torrent! Theon Greyjoy finally at long last, speaks. Not the pissy half-measures as it was in the books, but that honest and true message- “Why do you hate me for being a reminder of your mistake?” Finally, at long last Theon sounds like a person who can think and feel straight.

And I loved that in the middle of that tirade, that CLOSE shot of Balon Greyjoy. And in that FUCKING actor was pure brilliance- he almost…. Just almost … looks like he empathizes with Theon. As if he’s about to … be an honest man and not a shitty, shitty (and I cannot stress this enough s-h-i-t-t-y) Lord. That may have been the shot of the series staring into the deep darkness of Balon Greyjoy’s pain-wracked eyes.

Don't agree with everything you wrote, but thoroughly enjoyed how you wrote it.

One point, though...loved the rant too, and agree it answered an inner scream, but maybe I'm alone in thinking it was one step short.

The last dot that should have been connected in that rant was the part about..."And now you're doing it again, and acting like I have no perspective on this! Will I be the one to pay the fucking stupid-price again?"

Edited by James Arryn

Some people complain about how book Shae was so one-dimensional, and that TV Shae is a lot more "interesting" for Tyrion, because it doesn't "fit" his personality to like a dumb (or pretending to be dumb) whore. I kind of feel the exact opposite. I think Tyrion is very confident and witty and everything in a lot of ways, but like many people, he is a completely different person when it comes to relationship and women. I know based on the way that I act, that I've ended up with a lot of guys/girls that someone may think unexpected for me. I also often act much different with my boyfriend than I do with other people. I liked that part of Tyrion - that when it came to even a relationship with a whore, he had blinders on and wasn't always practical/logical/realistic with it.

Edited by dannister

LOL @ the Margaery comment from Renly.

I guess now we wont have to wait until the Season for AFFC to understand her demand for Moon Tea.

Yeah, I guess she's not a maiden afterall. I wonder if GRRM agrees.

Edited by dannister

What does everyone think of Shae's revealing she was once a handmaiden for a "Lady Zurif" and she's not from there to Sansa? Is this yet another easter egg hint to a sub plot in Shae's mysterious story that we don't yet know? They hinted in the 'lying game' first season that Shae is someone very secret. Now this, it really has me curious!

I loved this episode, wonderfully done - ALL scenes and actors were wonderful.