Some disconnected thoughts.

LF's accent - definitely heard a Welsh lilt this week, when he was talking to Tyrion. Perhaps the producers want to start making it more obvious that he is originally from the Vale (the rider who met Catelyn in the Vale in season one had a definite Welsh accent).

Before the start of the season I said how much I was looking forward to Arya's story arc. Unfortunately, huge chunks of that arc have been eviscerated from the TV series. It's a pity. Based on the very end of last night's episode, I assume there will be no torturing by the Tickler and co - how else is Gendry's identity going to remain hidden, after Arry claimed that Lommy was Gendry.

Brienne - not as ugly as in the books, but really good choice of actress for the role.

Did anyone read the entirety of the letter that Theon wrote to Robb, but then burned? - OK, I see a seaprate thread on this.

Edited for - missing word that completely changes meaning of second paragraph.

Edited by Arataniello

Pros

- I thought Theon did a fantastic job, his sister on the other hand is just not how I imagined her, but i'm sure her personality will play out soon enough. Theon is killing it though, I tip my hat to him. When he burned that letter I was like... shit... if only I could tell you what is to come.

- Tyrion's Scene with Little Finger/Pycelle/Varys. I thought they made that scene very well.

I'm sure there are more, but those two really stood out for me when recalling the episode.

Cons

- A lot of people hating on Shae. I would have to agree to an extent. Her character just seems a bit different than how I saw her in the book. She seems like a huge biatch in the show, like she runs the place. It wasn't a make or break thing for me.

- Renly/Loras/Marg I just did not know how to perceive that whole scene. Seemed a bit strange to me. I see where they are going with it, Marg seems a bit more conniving than I ever expected, but that's just my opinion.

All in all, I love the book so much that I appreciate anything even remotely following the story, and honestly I couldn't even fathom making a show out of it, and these guys are doing a great job at it.

Also Brienne was casted well, love that character.

One last thing. Biter/Rorge don't seem nearly as intimidating as I always thought they were. They seem like normal people where as I always imagined them as these big burly vile cruel m*therf*ckers. Just my take.

Thing about it is, that is all based on individual perception of each character. For instance, Jaime found Brienne not as bad looking as otther people, POV's did not see the Loras, Marg, Renly scene. We would have only seen Marg's court face.

Thing about it is, that is all based on individual perception of each character. For instance, Jaime found Brienne not as bad looking as otther people, POV's did not see the Loras, Marg, Renly scene. We would have only seen Marg's court face.

I agree completely. I guess I just saw things differently in my head.

Also I doubt many people have mentioned it, but the soundtrack playing in this episode...gave me goosebumps, especially in the stormland scene. Absolutely beautiful.

All I can say is, well done to everyone involved in this series, you are making us fans and I am sure, george, proud. Fucking brilliant.

Edited by Cellio

Another awesome episode. This was better than the last two. First thing I want to say

Theon and Balon were amazing in this episode! The scene when Balon smacks Theon was soooooo good. Both actors really brought it. Theon confessing his feelings to his father and the look on Balon's face said so many things. I think there might have been a tiny, tiny hint of regret and guilt he might have for his son. I really felt for Theon and he was right to call Balon out. This is one instance where Theon does not deserve to be smacked. :drunk: I just wanted to hug him! :frown5: Theon's letter burning scene was beautifully shot as was his baptism and the music was so effective. So far I am loving how they are handling Theon's story and I have to praise Alfie Allen for doing one of my top favorite characters justice.

Brienne's entrance was great. I'm glad they kept the fight like in the books. I love the reactions when she took off her helm. The actress is fabulous and she just towers over everybody she stands next to. Perfect. I already love the first little bit of interaction between her and Cat. I can't wait to see their friendship come about.

Arya and Yoren was precious. I'm a little sad they didn't have Arya, Hot Pie, and Gendry fight, but I will get over it.

There's more I have to say, but I don't have time, I got to get ready for work. :angry:

Was the guy that performed the drowned god consecration, Aeron? He was a badass. I didn't think he was cast this season though.

No, they used a generic priest of the Drowned God, so that they can cast Aeron when needed by his POV's appearance later in the series.

I'm not one prone to seeing ____ism wherever I look, but I think people conscious of portrayals of homosexuals would have a pretty solid issue with this show as contrasted with the book.

They have simultaneously ratcheted up Renly's gay-ness while completely doing away with his martial skill/bravery etc. and conforming him to a stereotype of, well, homosexuals as 'soft'.

It may be entirely coincidental, but I doubt it.

I think they reached for easy-to-identify archetypes. And if it was coincidental and no one thought to put 2 and 2 together...wow.

I think that is a very good point I haven't seen mentioned in the forum before.

Another awesome episode. This was better than the last two. First thing I want to say

Theon and Balon were amazing in this episode! The scene when Balon smacks Theon was soooooo good. Both actors really brought it. Theon confessing his feelings to his father and the look on Balon's face said so many things. I think there might have been a tiny, tiny hint of regret and guilt he might have for his son. I really felt for Theon and he was right to call Balon out. This is one instance where Theon does not deserve to be smacked. :drunk: I just wanted to hug him! :frown5: Theon's letter burning scene was beautifully shot as was his baptism and the music was so effective. So far I am loving how they are handling Theon's story and I have to praise Alfie Allen for doing one of my top favorite characters justice.

Brienne's entrance was great. I'm glad they kept the fight like in the books. I love the reactions when she took off her helm. The actress is fabulous and she just towers over everybody she stands next to. Perfect. I already love the first little bit of interaction between her and Cat. I can't wait to see their friendship come about.

Arya and Yoren was precious. I'm a little sad they didn't have Arya, Hot Pie, and Gendry fight, but I will get over it.

There's more I have to say, but I don't have time, I got to get ready for work. :angry:

In reality they would have been slaughtered just like Lommy if they had put up a fight. Some things wouldn't come across as well on screen, one being Hot Pie and Arya killing fully grow, armoured men.

The reason people haven't brought up the idea that the show's portrayal of Renly means "gay = soft" is because of Loras, who may be very good looking, but he's also a great jouster, a talented warrior, one of the most valiant knights in the Seven Kingdoms, who reveals that he's worked damned hard to be in that position, and who draws blood to force Renly to look and accept the cost of power.

So "gay=soft" doesn't exist as a stereotype here. There's different kinds of people, that's all, and sexuality doesn't really figure.

Some disconnected thoughts. LF's accent - definitely heard a Welsh lilt this week, when he was talking to Tyrion. Perhaps the producers want to start making it more obvious that he is originally from the Vale (the rider who met Catelyn in the Vale in season one had a definite Welsh accent). Before the start of the season I said how much I was looking forward to Arya's story arc. Unfortunately, huge chunks of that arc have been eviscerated from the TV series. It's a pity. Based on the very end of last night's episode, I assume there will be no torturing by the Tickler and co - how else is Gendry's identity going to remain hidden, after Arry claimed that Lommy was Gendry. Brienne - not as ugly as in the books, but really good choice of actress for the role. Did anyone read the entirety of the letter that Theon wrote to Robb, but then burned? - OK, I see a seaprate thread on this. Edited for - missing word that completely changes meaning of second paragraph.

They cast the Tickler and a lot of Gregor's crew. It's just going to happen at Harrenhal as opposed to some random city that Arya and co creep up on. I presume that Gregor will be holding Harrenhal while we wait for Tywin to get there. While we wait for Tywin, Gregor and co will do their thing. They kind of show that in the preview for next week. All we are really losing is Gendry, Arya, Hot Pie and Lommy wandering around for a while before stumbling on Gregor and Co at Maidenpool or wherever. Which, with the time constraints on TV, I can understand. Plus they introduce use to Harrenhal earlier.

They cast the Tickler and a lot of Gregor's crew. It's just going to happen at Harrenhal as opposed to some random city that Arya and co creep up on. I presume that Gregor will be holding Harrenhal while we wait for Tywin to get there. While we wait for Tywin, Gregor and co will do their thing. They kind of show that in the preview for next week. All we are really losing is Gendry, Arya, Hot Pie and Lommy wandering around for a while before stumbling on Gregor and Co at Maidenpool or wherever. Which, with the time constraints on TV, I can understand. Plus they introduce use to Harrenhal earlier.

Or they could torture and pillage on their way to Harrenhall. This would have the same effect. Remember, they were not just looking for Gendry. They were looking for gold. They were looking for Dondarion and his men. All of this can still happen, even without them looking for Gendry.

No, they used a generic priest of the Drowned God, so that they can cast Aeron when needed by his POV's appearance later in the series.

If they're cutting characters (which they need to a lil, at least down the line) I could see Aeron first up. By far the most boring Iron Islander, almost ruined that subplot for me.

Anyway, did they recast Loras or did he just put on a lot of mass?

Was the guy that performed the drowned god consecration, Aeron? He was a badass. I didn't think he was cast this season though.

I hope we will see this guy again, as really minor character... not as the Damphair cause he's definitly not suited to play the Damphair (except for the voice) who is younger, more skinny, more hairy and with black hair... but I want to see this guy again.

If they're cutting characters (which they need to a lil, at least down the line) I could see Aeron first up. By far the most boring Iron Islander, almost ruined that subplot for me.

Anyway, did they recast Loras or did he just put on a lot of mass?

Same guy for Loras, but the actor has naturally curly hair.

Also I thought they had recast Lommy from first season but apparently just different hair again.

I liked it over all.I dont mind the renly/loras scene. I wouldnt say i enjoyed it but i can definately see why it deserves a place in the series. When Renly died in the book not many people cared. Now theyre making it so people will. Margaerys pretty hot!! She seems very capable and as someone before said she seems like someone to stand up to Cersei. However i dont know how theyre gunna pull off her and Tommen. Thats a huge thing for me.

Greyjoys were very good. Added a lot of depth to Theons character.

Briennes perfect. I dont think shes super ugly but i think she does credit to the role. Mountainesque

A lot of tyrion. I imagine the next episode will have less. Great performance form Dinklage again. Nice to see Shagga. Cant imagine what non-bookreaders think of the feed cock to goats line :P

Shae just doesnt do it for me. Also alot of Tyrions mileage revolves around their shenanigans of which wev seen nothing so far

One of my favorite episodes, so far.

I think they handled the Arya situation the best that they could with the time constraints. It just makes me sad that we're not going to see Lommy try to yield to everyone all over the 7 kingdoms.

I'm happy with Brienne and am glad they got such a dedicated actress to play the part. That should end well in upcoming seasons if they keep most of her storyline.

Tyrion was great, as always.

Was Margeary Tyrell this politically savvy in the books? I though she was a little more innocent but in the series she is pretty damn straight forward and intelligent. I know she has a wicked good conniving grandma but I never got the impression she was in on the Tyrell plotting. Is she going to become Joff's poisoner?

This episode probably deviated the most from the books so far and I wonder if that won't be a continuing trend.