In answer to the past few posts- yes I think Alfie Allen was good last season and fantastic this season so I can see him as Reek. We'll find out but I can't see whence you have gotten the impression that he won't be able to do it- his acting was some of the best on the show this episode.

Wasn't Lorch the knight in the heavy armour? Pretty sure it was same guy at the end who talked to Yoren at the start of the scene (Lorch) and the bald guy was not named and is likely The Tickler

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but did it strike you as weird that Yoren and Arya had that heart-to-heart at the end of the episode amongst the rest of the Night's Watch recruits?

I mean, they've both gone to all this trouble to conceal Arya's identity, and then here they are chatting quite openly about Arya's experiences in King's Landing.

It's not explicitly revealing who she is, but anyone listening in would probably figure out that 'Arry' is not quite who 'he' says he is.

It's not a biggie, just that it showed the characters being a little careless. They could have easily had that chat outside, with Yoren rousing the men when the Lannister troops showed up.

Overall I loved the episode. Scored first ep of season about an 8 and second a 7. This has to be an 8 or 9 in my book.

Oh and when Theon takes Winterfell and kills the Miller's kids without Ramsay to tell him to, he is not going to be seen as a protagonist. They are just actually showing the character as he was with the bits the book skipped over until later. Cersei has plenty of stuff on the cards to make her hated too. I didn't like her not killing the Bastards but right now Joff is a damned good villain. The others will get their turn

Is it just me or have they made no mention of Cersei/Lancel so far this season? They had a random scene with them at the end of last season, where it was clear they'd slept together, but there's been no follow-up so far. I thought at the time that the scene in episode 10 was out of place and the fact that it hasn't been discussed in the first 3 episodes confirms that belief.

I keep reading that there will be no Reed's or Olenna. Depending on how the books end, I would think that they would need the Reed children. I really liked them and I hope that they eventually are cast. But does anyone know for sure if they won't be?

Same goes for Olenna. Hands down my favorite dialogue to read, I love her to bits and will be so so sad to not have that bit of humor in the show.

Just to bounce off a few things mentioned up - thread: I think Alfie will be just dandy as Reek. He seems to really get his emotions across and has in fact managed to make me far more sympathetic to Theon than I was while reading the books.

I did notice that Biter still had his nose (I hope I have that correct). I'm wondering if this means that Tyrion will survive the battle with his nose in tact as well.

I have to say, this episode really got me to thinking about all of the events coming up and how they will play out. The Direwolves look amazing and I'm wondering if they will do the same for the giants/mammoths. Or if they will even include them (shadowcats as well). Also the CotF.... that should be interesting.

Has anybody heard/read anything about the upcoming CG?

Good episode, best so far this season, which isn't saying too much because this season has been very frustrating with huge character and story divergence.

1. Renly and Loras--I don't understand the complaints. Frankly, of all the sex on the show, these two should have been shown having full-on sex. We, the readers, know Loras loved Renly--his unforgettable line to Sansa after Renly's death--when the sun has set, no candle can replace it. C'mon, of all the characters who deserved an great sex scene, it was these two.

2. Natalie Dormer is excellent as Margaery.

3. Can the writers/producers/directors make Theon and Cersei any more sympathetic? How can we cheer for a redemption story or feel a modicum of sympathy when Cersei has her walk? We need to hate them first, and currently, they could both be protagonists.

4. Francis Magee as Yoren was so excellent. Will miss him.

5. Sad to see all the cuts from the Arya/Gendry story. Wish the battle could have shown both of them being as awesome as they were in the books. Will miss their journey with Lommy and Hot Pie. Still, Maisie Williams and Joe Dempsie are doing a fantastic job.

6. Husband, who is at the beginning of ASoS in reading, looked at me and said why did they make Shae Sansa's maid? I just said it happens later in the book you're reading. They are lots of spoilery things for people who haven't finished reading the series.

7. Loved Alfie Allen's "you gave me away" rant, though it was never in the books. I always wondered when reading why Theon didn't ever say this!

P.S. for those who asked, tiddies are breasts.

Did you really hate Theon BEFORE he ends up taking Winterfell? Relax, he may seen like a protagonist now but obviously that will surely change by seasons end. Plus, making him sympathetic to the audience now, will only make it that much worse when people see what he does.

And couldn't agree more how excellent Alfie Allen was in that scene with Balon. His speech was very heartfelt and an amazing addition by the writers to add this.

Edited by Hot Pie Guy

I keep reading that there will be no Reed's or Olenna. Depending on how the books end, I would think that they would need the Reed children. I really liked them and I hope that they eventually are cast. But does anyone know for sure if they won't be?

Same goes for Olenna. Hands down my favorite dialogue to read, I love her to bits and will be so so sad to not have that bit of humor in the show.

Just to bounce off a few things mentioned up - thread: I think Alfie will be just dandy as Reek. He seems to really get his emotions across and has in fact managed to make me far more sympathetic to Theon than I was while reading the books.

I did notice that Biter still had his nose (I hope I have that correct). I'm wondering if this means that Tyrion will survive the battle with his nose in tact as well.

I have to say, this episode really got me to thinking about all of the events coming up and how they will play out. The Direwolves look amazing and I'm wondering if they will do the same for the giants/mammoths. Or if they will even include them (shadowcats as well). Also the CotF.... that should be interesting.

Has anybody heard/read anything about the upcoming CG?

Rorge is the one without the nose (in the books anyways. he still has it in the show), Biter is the guy with the messed up teeth.

The Queen in the South, her Brother and Their Husband: I really don’t know what others are complaining about but the Renly scenes are absolutely fantastic because they are the Maergery Tyrell scenes. Which is why they shine. While Renly tries to play King and Loras tries to get him to play lover, the Queen is not at all fooled. Nope. No. No, she wants an heir. She wants a chance to roll the dice in the Game of Thrones. And the only way to do that is through the graces of Renly Baratheon. And if that takes Loras to jump in to start or do them both or to have him take her from behind so he can pretend its Loras, she is going to do all that. She is NOBODY’S FOOL! She is in it to win it. And so she tells Renly flat out. Whatever it takes.

This this this. Loving how Margaery's playing out. And I love how sweet she is to Renly too, even though she knows their marriage is a complete sham. She loves him because her brother loves him, and she wants him to succeed. It really says a lot about Margaery and Loras' relationship. I didn't imagine Margaery as a schemer, but I'm easily adapting to this interpretation of her.

Which just shows how hamfisted this incarnation of Asha is. And, you know, I don't think it's Gemma's fault. I think she's playing the character the way they intended. It's absolutely killing me, because Asha's one of my favorite characters and I hate to see her all solemn and sulky. I'm hoping that this is all intentional to make Theon's homecoming seem even worse and that her attitude is simply because she's disappointed and disgusted by her brother. I'm hoping like hell she'll get the fuck over it once she gets her ships.

I think this Shae has the potentital to make the story more heartbreaking. Shae in the book was an obvious whore who said whatever a man wants to hear. If this more honest Shae can appear to actually fall for Tyrion then that would be, as I said, heartbreaking.

It seems though, in this episode, that Shae is acting like an entitled brat and not appreciating what Tyrion is doing to keep her safe. I think there's more to TV Shae than meets the eye (which is NOT in the books). As of now she doesn't appear to really care for Tyrion and if she doesn't, soon, no one is going to feel very bad when she bites the dust.

Do we know for a fact that they haven't cast Ramsay? Or are they just keeping the casting under wraps so the audience doesn't guess that Reek turns out to be Ramsay in disguise.

I'm really hoping for option B on this one because how else will Theon end up in the Dreadfort?

I'm hoping the Reeds will be added on next season. I'm thinking Osha and Hodor will take Bran and Rickon into hiding and at some point will visit/meet up with the Reeds while on the run. Otherwise Bran and Rickon can't split up. They aren't 100% necessary until that happens, so I can see why their introduction would be postponed until the beginning of next season.

Booo! No Reeds moving castle, greenspears, or the such? That stinks.

I have seen NOTHINH confirming that the Reeds are not in the series just not in season 2. And really, do they have to be? Aside from talking a bit about green dreams and making fun of the Walders they don't do much. Bran's journey just starts and they can have the Reeds catch up at any point. They almost have to. Isn't Howland to have been confirmed to be ultimately pivotal to the story and like the only character that can not have a POV?

Haven't read all of the thread yet, so if some of this is repeated or mentioned already, oh well... :P

It was a really strong episode. No doubt.

So LF is sent to Renly to negotiate with Catelyn apparently (based on Tyrion's comments and the pictures we've already seen showing them together)? Not sure if that works logistically, but could be pretty interesting.

It would appear that, from previews, that LF will give the idea of Renly's peach to Renly...though why they had to move up the negotiations to now...I didn't think he left until after Renly had been killed...

Another strong episode. Can't wait for the full BRIENNE SHOULD BE UGLIER rage! :P To me it's no different than the Tyrion is too handsome stuff. In this show Tyrion's problems are that he is a dwarf. Him being ugly as well isn't necessary. Brienne is tall (huge!) and a woman. That's more than enough "negatives".

Frankly I though Brienne was perfect. Spot on.

I'm gonna miss Renly. Just when he was becoming more interesting.

Referencing the preview again, but I'm convinced that they're combining the scene under Storm's End with the killing of Renly. I hope it works.

See, I feel like for maybe the first time, we're seeing the carefree, lovable Renly from the books in tonight's episode. His amusement at the melee, his bemusement at Brienne's request...he even gave her a little wink! I said to Dub, "Finally, there's the Renly we know and love!" (but a more complex version, which I enjoy).

While I agree, it almost feels wasted as they've really not done any good service to the character as a whole. As a result, seeing Renly more like the Renly readers expect is almost out of place...

I'm loving Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Margaery so far. You can definitely see the "Queen of Thorns" influence on her. I understand in aging her you had to make her even more savvy than her book counterpart, but I don't think this is beyond reason of even her book character. I think she's a very savvy, but underrated player of the game. (With the QoT as your gram, you'd have to be daft to not be.)

Again, haven't read the entire thread, but I'm betting I'm the only one who, upon first glance of Margarey, did a double take and wondered how Michelle Trachtenberg was cast...but then again, I probably could have read up on casting news and not had that image flash through my head. Fleeting though it was...

Do we know for a fact that they haven't cast Ramsay? Or are they just keeping the casting under wraps so the audience doesn't guess that Reek turns out to be Ramsay in disguise.

I'm really hoping for option B on this one because how else will Theon end up in the Dreadfort?

I think this switched identity thing is going to be really hard to pull off. Consider Arstan Whitebeard, whom we should be seeing later on this series. It’s easy for him to fool Dany, but the audience? Good luck with that one.

Here is my biggest complaint about this episode... The opening sequence showed Dragonstone and the Dothraki wasteland and we didn't go there. I thought that each opening was tailor made to reflect the locations that we would visit in that episode.

Other than that, This episode was just about perfect. The best actor in the show turns out to be a twelve year old girl. My god Miasie was phenomenal again tonight. Someone should nominate her for an emmy this year. Peter Motherf$%##^&g Dinkledge was outstanding as well. All of the Tyrion scenes were not only brilliantly written, but superbly delivered as well. Gwendolyn Christie IS Brienne. As that character is one of my largest book crushes, I can't wait until she meets me in real life and falls madly and passionately in love with me. ALL of the Greyjoys rock. Even Asha, who is growing on me by leaps and bounds.

That leaves me with the two "controversies" that we have been discussing here. The first is Renly/Loras... I am heterosexual as well, and I am not turned on by a scene in which two men act in a sexual manner with one another. That said, I am also an adult, and just because I am not inclined to be aroused by it doesn't mean that I can't watch it and enjoy it. Specifically when it is in perfect context with what the author wrote about his characters. Both characters did a wonderful job of acting in this scene, and it set up perfectly the later conflict between Loras and Brienne. It also gave us an understanding of the maidenhood of Margery which will become an essential plot point as the story goes. This scene was absolutely necessary to advance the plot of the TV show, and if you are too immature to watch, then switch the damn channel for two minutes and don't burden the rest of us with your homophobia.

That leaves me with Shae... She is a completely different character in this show. The problem that I have had is that I keep trying to reconcile her to the Shae of the books. Well, five episodes into her story arc, this is obviously not the case. Tonight, I tried to keep an open mind with the actress and just judge her on her performance. She is actually doing a fantastic job. It is obvious to me that her direction is to be arrogant, and a bit unlikeable. I think that D&D is doing this because they were afraid they couldn't redeem the character of Tyrion after he kills her to a TV audience. I personally think that they could, but it would be extremely tricky. I don't begrudge them at all for going the easier route on this one.

I can see your point, but from my perspective, I think they should be making her more likeable now instead of less likeable. This would increase the shock value when (1) she turns on Tyrion at his trial, and (2) Tyrion discovers her in his father's bed. Just those two things would be enough, I think, to redeem Tyrion's character in the eyes of many.

Okay adding to the previous post this morning of my thoughts on the episode.

The Cersei and Sansa scene was extremely good. I love the sly little look she gives Sansa when she asks Tommen is he would like it if Joff kills Robb(such bitchy and malicious thing to do, so Cersei!). Of course Tommen being the sweetie cutie that he is told his mother that he wouldn't like that at all.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Shae and Sansa scene, though. I didn't mind Shae at all in the first season and I actually prefer TV Shae over book Shae, but Shae is starting to sound more like a spoiled brat than a, erm, professional worker whose also a grown woman. She's coming off more like book Shae, who is a young, immature, sort of naive girl and in the show she's supposed to be this somewhat mysterious, experienced, smart woman who matches Tyrion's wits and throws his crap back at him. I couldn't stand her stomping around in Sansa's chambers. it could have been the scene, because I didn't like that scene. It did crack me up when Shae had the nerve to pick on Sansa's leftovers as she was cleaning the table right in front of Sansa. That was pretty amusing.

That's my only complaint and it was such a minor scene, so it doesn't bother me that much. Everything else has been spectacular, though.

i'm a bit surprised by all the love for this episode, i thought it was the weakest so far this season. not bad, but not great either. i was really hoping that they were toning nega-shae down to finally become something like shae from the book, but for some bizarre reason they've decided to go back to making her very unlikable.

i know there is a theory that ros is going to take alayaya's story line, but honestly, i hope they change things up even more than that, and have shae ACTUALLY be the one who gets caught, and that ros would take over the shae role from the books. ros is a much more likeable character at this point.