I don't think it was better than the books...some scenes have been done a little better, but I've never seen an entire episode in which it surpassed the books overall. It was definitely one of my favorites though.

Yoren is (was) an absolute boss, "There's men out there want to fuck your corpses," priceless. As well, I have no issue with him giving Arya the idea for her nightly prayers.

Does anyone else get the feeling that they had Reek in mind when they cast Alfie Allen for Theon? I can just picture him now gnawing on a rat, with his matted rags stuck to his skin by his own filth.

Really don't understand all this talk of Cersei being too nice.......what show are you watching? She spoke gleefully about the possibility of Robb being killed in front of his sister and two young children! The only thing I can think that's being referred to is how upset she is at losing Myrcella: she loves her kids. It's her one redeeming feature (that, and her cheekbones).

I think “rainbow guard” would have been in the *groan* territory given Renly's sexuality is made obvious in the series (regardless of whether that was the original intent/hint). So, I chalk it as a good change.

Edit: I have to say, the number of people who are opposed to introducing a little more moral greyness into characters is…surprisingly high, given this is ASOIAF. I get the adherence to books thing, but I think the little changes mostly make them a little more realistic (especially given we're missing out on a lot of internal monologue).

Edited by Auska

I like how Aryas chapters were shortened, it'll be far more interesting seeing her rummaging around in Harrenhal (anyone know what castle they are using as set btw?) than mucking around in the forest with the relatively uninteresting characters from Yoren's lot.

Whoa, 30 pages? I'm a little late...

Such a fantastic episode. Start to finish, it was just so solid and I don’t think there was anything I disliked.

Firstly, yay, no naked Ros! No overly long brothel scenes!

I thought we were going to get more Jon in this episode but I suppose his arc will get more screentime as we near the end of the season. I loved the cliffhanger last week and it was wrapped up very nicely, with a touch of shame in the Old Bear’s eyes as he admitted he knew about Craster’s attrocities. Loved the Sam/Gilly sweetness.

Bran’s scene explored some of the elements I feared would be left out of the show. I’m so glad they’re keeping the dark, mystical tone of Bran’s story. Also, Maester Luwin is perfect. And the transitions from boy to wolf, and the dreams themselves, are good, and not at all cheesy, which I was worried about. And Hodor said “Hodor!” Loved it.

Brienne! I never doubted Christie but she definitely exceeded my expectations. Anyone else catch the “I’m no Lady”? Remind you of someone? The Renly/Loras scene was actually pretty good, because it showed the audience that rather than just being fuck buddies, they have a relationship. The scene fleshed Renly out quite a lot, no sexposition necessary. Though HBO did make sure they reached their boob quota for the episode - I know a few people are concerned that they have made Margaery too saucy or something, and the suggested threesome was a bit much, but to be honest, they established a female character who was very politically clued up and sharp as a knife, which she is.

Personally, I don’t really care they’ve made Shae a bit abbrasive: she did have an impudent side to her in the books as I recall, though it was much subtler. But making her more memorable is better than toning her down and just having some bland whore with NO personality hanging around with Tyrion. Besides, she's not as bad as Ros.

Tyrion’s 1-2-3 was so unbelievably well done that my jaw dropped. My god. Dinklage is just…words cannot describe. He IS Game of Thrones. His portrayal of Tyrion is one of the best television performances...ever. As in, going down in history. "I don't like his beard."

And I am so impressed with Sophie Turner. Whilst waiting for S2 I was wondering how they were going to show Sansa’s misery and still keep her ‘pretty bird’ words, which the tearing up in front of the mirror was perfect for. Her dialogue with Shae was a just a little off - but her acting has definitely gone up a notch this season.

Cersei was so fantastic at the dinner. "Sansa will do her duty, won't you, little dove?" That was just so venomous. And Tommen and Myrcella are so cute.

The Greyjoys. I think ‘Yara’ comes across pretty accurately, and Balon! Wow. He’s friggin’ awesome. I liked Theon's letter burning a lot – it was a very nice touch. I found Theon's betrayal was very jarring in the book, so I'm glad we got to see him wrestle with his decision a little.

I loved Arya's dialogue with Yoren, that was such a great little thing the throw into the mix. To say Maisie Williams is doing Arya justice is the understatement of the century. She is just so perfect. Yoren got a nice Boromir style death – “I always hated crossbows”, and I thought the 'fight' was pretty well done. Very brief shot of Jaqen but I just know Tom Wlaschiha is going to bring it in the next few episodes.

Edited by HyacinthGirl

I'm disappointed that this episode wasn't word for word identical to the book. That alone could have avoided the homo scene with Renly and Loras since that wasn't in the book. Also, ew. Homo's.

Also, how do you pronounce "Robb?" I thought Catelyn's accent was way off when she said 'Robb.' This shit is important.

And seriously? No Hot Pie shouting "Hot Pie?" I may not even watch next week.

If this television drama wasn't so damned good, I might just give up on this utter failure of an entertaining adaptation.

ETA: Margarey needs bigger tits, it goes without saying. No one will fall for her bullshit otherwise.

Where in the books does it say that Renly or Loras are gay?I read the books and did"t find any clues for that...

It's somewhat muted, but there.

It's interesting that George was asked about that , in an interview , just recently, and George confirmed , indeed that was the case.

And alas,poor Yoren,we knew him well.

That's up there with 'Methinks the lady doth protest too much' as most misquoted Shakes lines.

I'm only bitching because I played Hamlet and Well (Horatio). And because I've been house painting all night.

Sorry.

Only downsides: Tommen's random northern accent (it seems they basically toss a coin when deciding whether a character should be northern or not, regardless of where this person lives or where they were raised), the fact that there are now three distinct pronunciations of Tyrell (Tie-RELL, Ta-RELL, TI-rel, don't really understand why they don't have consistent pronunciations on this show...) and Sansa randomly deciding she's gonna be a bitch to Shae (jeez, how about take the opportunity to have a conversation with someone who isn't trying to systematically eliminate your entire family?)...

I actually like that there are different pronunciations - my last name has one silent letter and a Z in it but I've had at 30 variations on the name said to me, including being told I pronounce it incorrectly. Different people say things different ways is all - even within the same family.

I'm ok with Sansa being a bitch to her - I think this is like some of other "sped up aptitude" character development we have seen. Sansa now sees Shae there as a spy for someone and the fact that she has no idea what to do to help Sansa reinforces it.

Where in the books does it say that Renly or Loras are gay?I read the books and did"t find any clues for that...

It's implied in a few spots. However, people tend to overstate it, especially after Martin confirmed that he had intended people to know it. Most of the "evidence" is people mocking him with implied homosexuality. Because that never happens to straight guys...

If in future episodes they play up a Cersei's informants then I'll retract that complaint, but to me at the moment it looks more like they're emphasising that Sansa is still a highborn lady and is very used to being waited on hand and foot. I can't think of any significant plot advance that happens as a result of Cersei's informers, the only one that springs to mind is that Tyrion provides it as a reason to employ Shae - which has already happened.

It's not nearly as obvious as people here might have you think, basically: Catelyn observes that he spends more time talking to Loras than Margaery over dinner, he asks Loras to 'stay and pray' with him, and Loras is particularly devastated when he's killed.

If in future episodes they play up a Cersei's informants then I'll retract that complaint, but to me at the moment it looks more like they're emphasising that Sansa is still a highborn lady and is very used to being waited on hand and foot. I can't think of any significant plot advance that happens as a result of Cersei's informers, the only one that springs to mind is that Tyrion provides it as a reason to employ Shae - which has already happened.

What I got from the Sansa/Shae scene was simply that, since she has to bottle up her true feelings in front of everyone else, she's taking her anger out on a handmaiden. It's also a good lead into the Sansa-Tyrion marriage.

I thought that her scene with Sansa was touching. Why? Because the scene was not about Shae but about Sansa. This poor young woman is totally traumatized. She is suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Sansa needs a friend who is not Lannister. Shae represents a future, the possibility of sanity. A thin reed, indeed, but still a reed. Give the HBO writers credit here.

Yes!!!

They've cut the reeds.....The scene with Bran and Luwin was supposed to happen in relationship with Meera and Jojen Reed.

Pretty dissapointed....

Me to - but I'm half way through ADWD - and really - this can be pulled off without them. I like them a lot -- but I think in the end i can live with it.

Maybe they'll bring them in later? Is it totally out of the question?