Let's face it, Osha and Luwin are clearly filling in for the Reeds already. I'd love to see them as much as anyone, but I can't think of a purpose past this season. Encouraging Bran's warging? Already happening, will probably be completely capable by the end of the season. Heading to 3EC? Well we know Bran escapes at the end of this season, where's he gonna go?

So what's Meera and Jojen gonna say? Well done so far, keep warging and keep heading north? Nah.

Reek on the other hand, is crucial to Theon's arc and I'd wager he'll be in Season 3, and Season 2 will end with Theon killing the kids and then a closing shot confirming that Bran and Rickon survived.

You need Meera so that she can be the older, wiser one. And Bran’s love-interest. And the survivor.

No, you really don't. Out of necessity posed by both budget and time restraints the show has already cut numerous characters, and will cut many more. Unless Meera does something integral to the plot that GRRM warned them about, we likely won't see her. Its possible that they could condense both the reeds into one character, but I think the likelihood is that neither of them will make it to the show.

Edited by salt

In CoK he tells them they can stay for one night on their way from the beginning if I'm not mistaken.

In SoS, he kicks them out on the way back after they are massacred by the others and Sam kills the WW,

That's what I was saying in a round about way...LOL

To be honest, I'd like the Reeds to be there as well but we all know there have to be some sacrifices in the adaptation. And any non-essential character is going to be 'on the block' so to speak. If you really think about it, neither of the Reed's are essential and if they decide to cut both (or maybe bring them in later) to balance the budget or devote more time to other storylines/characters which people would be just as pissed off if they scimped on, I'm all for it.

Fabulous episode apart from one bit: Sansa Shae.

Rant warning:

What on EARTH was this supposed to be? Showing that Sansa is bitchy or what? She isn't bitchy in the books so it's just a complete deviation from her character. It made no sense plotwise and was just totally bewildering. We get time showing Sansa with Shae, but no time showing Sansa with, well anything plot related? Tommen and Myrcella get more interesting comments than Sansa. Come on! It's too bad as well since apart from that I thought the episode was the best this season.

So, that bit? Utter, total bollocks.

It's not needed to "foreshadow" the wedding either since Shae has no part in that, and Tyrion already does by talking about marriages being made for alliances.

Edited by Lyanna Stark

To be fair, Shae does become her handmaiden in the book.

Why dont people let this play out a bit instead of ranting after 2 minutes of screen time.

Just like last week when people were all in a hissy over the cliffhanger with craster, and that turned out perfectly fine.

I think the problem is exactly that we're not getting much from Sansa. I distinctly thought her pretty bratty all throughout GoT and a bit into ACOK, too, but those aspects didn't really come to the forefront in the show. So I think this - in addition to showing the frustration she has - is maybe helpful to contrast the transition in her later on.

Edited by Auska

I thought Sansa was totally bitchy in the books... and it makes sense that she is being hard on Shae. She has no power, no say, she can't speak her mind, so she is going to explode at someone, somewhere. I thought that whole Sansa/Shae scene really showed how hard of a time Sansa is having... she just yelled at her only potential ally.

I was thinking the opposite - do you really need Meera? Jojen is a greenseer. He's the one who knows about the Three-Eyed Crow and convinces Bran to go North.

If you're going to tack close to the books, Jojen gets pretty seriously ill. I guess you don't need Meera, but it would help if Hodor doesn't have to carry both Bran AND Jojen himself. I guess that leaves Cold Hands...

Edited by redraike

God what a great episode i really loved the scene when Tyrion and bronn went in and threw Pycelle into the black cells love how Tyrion casually tells Shagga to cut off his manhood and feed it to the goats haha freaking awesome. I agree with many of the other posters on their that the Renyl/loras/Megarie scens were a lil weird but i guess when it comes to HBO they'll just jam as much sexual content in as possible. At least it served somewhat of a purpose like questioning M's virginity and the whole Tyrell/Renly relationship. The fight scene with Yoren was a bit lacking .Yoren is one of my favorites :( all around good ep moved the story line ahead and we got to see renly as a king even if hes only alive for like 2 eps maybe three. Really happy seeing that the preview for next sundays ep shows Renly with a peach. hopefully the exchange with the Baratheon Bros goes much like in the books which i thought was well written and almost ironic in a way.

Edited by The Cocky Wolf

I was thinking the opposite - do you really need Meera?Jojen is a greenseer. He's the one who knows about the Three-Eyed Crow and convinces Bran to go North.

Jojen has "green dreams" which makes see into the future sometimes. He's not a Greenseer. Only Bran and Lord Bloodraven are greenseers (and maybe the children of the forest? I dont know)

But I do agree Jojen would be more important than Meera for the TV show.

I thought Sansa was totally bitchy in the books... and it makes sense that she is being hard on Shae. She has no power, no say, she can't speak her mind, so she is going to explode at someone, somewhere. I thought that whole Sansa/Shae scene really showed how hard of a time Sansa is having... she just yelled at her only potential ally.

Sansa is not bitchy in the books, how on earth are you reaching that conclusion? Have you READ the books at all?

And what "only potential ally"? Shae is supposed to be Sansa's ally how? And why? Seriously, no. It's not anywhere in the books, nowhere.

We could have got some real Sansa exposition, some interaction with the Hound, her torment with Joffrey, anything. Instead we get....Shae. They have what? Two scenes together in ASOS? Ridiculous, just utterly, utterly bad.

Sansa's ASOS arc is going to come straight out of the blue and her interaction with Dontos and the Hound? Ignored. Completely and utterly ignored.

Edited by Lyanna Stark

Maybe they'll bring [the Reeds] in later? Is it totally out of the question?

Next season. They (or a single character who is a composite of the two) will meet Bran in the wild after he sets out on his journey. I'd put $$$ on it.

Rant warning:

What on EARTH was this supposed to be? Showing that Sansa is bitchy or what? She isn't bitchy in the books so it's just a complete deviation from her character. It made no sense plotwise and was just totally bewildering. We get time showing Sansa with Shae, but no time showing Sansa with, well anything plot related? Tommen and Myrcella get more interesting comments than Sansa. Come on! It's too bad as well since apart from that I thought the episode was the best this season.

It's not needed to "foreshadow" the wedding either since Shae has no part in that, and Tyrion already does by talking about marriages being made for alliances.

yeah the most reasonable purpose for this scene is to introduce a relationship between Sansa and Shea, so when tyrion and sansa get married the relationship between Shea and Sansa will become a bit more inresting, not a bad way to introduce this mini plot line IMO. I guess it makes sense if you see it this way becuase it was intresting that Shea wasnt jealous in the books this tv show Shea might think differently about the whole situation.

We could have got some real Sansa exposition, some interaction with the Hound, her torment with Joffrey, anything. Instead we get....Shae. They have what? Two scenes together in ASOS? Ridiculous, just utterly, utterly bad.

I agree. They should have changed the Sansa/Shae scene to Sansa/Sandor or Sansa/Joffrey. It would have been a lot more meaningful.

I hope they show the scene when Sansa bumps into drunk Sandor when she's coming back from the godswood. I loved that part in the book!

Edited by Maester Hodor

Rant warning:

This was my initial reaction to the scene. Then I remembered that in the show they have done very little to show the kind, courteous and caring side of Sansa, unfortunately. Only thing that comes to mind is saving Dontos. On the other hand, they've added scenes where's been petulant and bitchy like her "I don't care" moment to Septa Mordaine in the first season. TV Sansa is very different from Book Sansa. Some of the changes feel pointless, both those scenes where she's bitchy have added nothing to the plot and watching her being petulant is simply boring.