hello i finally finished reading ADWD and can finally join the discussion of this awesome book/tv show series spoiler-free so so happy about that , and could use the exchanging of opinions on here as i'm a bit depressed after certain events in the book 5 !

i watched all 3 first episodes last night thought they were great some things i like , some things i'm unsure of but i'm thinking it has to do with certain actors still being new to their role, old characters were great they seemed to fall right back into the swing of things in westeros and i found myself thinking anew they really casted these guy well like jorah (sexy bear :wub: ) my fav to hate joffrey , cannot stand theon but credit to the actor for making me feel the same way i do about book theon, arya happy to see her, tyrion he may be small but he's the def the man about town....the direwolves just awesome and drogon was just showing off his flawless dragon skin pff :)

ok i'm off to personalize my account a bit,later.

A Mediterranean King's Landing?

How else did you imagine it? We're told repeatedly how hot it is in KL. GRRM seems to have deliberately given it a London-ish setting i.e. a river-side metropolis, dirty, etc., but definitely *NOT* with respect to the weather. A Mediterranean-like climate is exactly what the man describes in the books.

And where are the bannermen? Why is it that we never see the men that actually fight for Stannis?

#1. Budget

#2. This is for a TV audience, not a book audience. Non-book readers are already expressing dismay in some circles over the number of characters to try to keep track of.

Adding more faces would only serve to confuse the majority of the audience and eat-away precious budget $$$.

Edited by J.S. Crews

Yes, I noticed it, but I’ve heard far worse. And Peter is getting better. It isn’t easy to switch which side of the ocean your accent falls on: not everyone is Hugh Laurie.

As I hadn't heard any discussion of this (probably not enough time to comb through all the threads) I thought I was the only one. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, but I find his bad accent so distracting. It actually snaps me out of enjoying his performances. :frown5:

Am puzzled by all these complaints about Peter Dinklage's alleged bad accent. Just what accent is he supposed to have? Especially in a series which has so many different ones. OK, he doesn't speak like YOU think he should, but that doesn't mean it is a 'bad' accent. Just get over it people - relax, open your ears and enjoy the performance by a great actor.

One thing i read in the twop-board: Are they implying, that Tyrion decides to use the "services" of the woman he finds with Pycelle, when he puts the second coin on the table? I didn't think so, but apparently one might get the idea....

The way I interpreted it was that he thought she deserved extra money for having to do it with an OLD man like Pycelle.

Tyrion knows how old Pycelle is, he puts the second coin down after he sees Pycelle putting up a reasonable fight(for his age) against his clansmen. I took it as Tyrion did not expect the Grand Maester to be that much "work".

As I hadn't heard any discussion of this (probably not enough time to comb through all the threads) I thought I was the only one. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, but I find his bad accent so distracting. It actually snaps me out of enjoying his performances. :frown5:

Thats a real shame, I also hear the dipping accent at times but it definitely does not detract from my enjoyment of Mr Dinklage's performance. I absolutely cant imagine a better Tyrion, every week I look forward to what hes going to bring to the role. As "Currawong" said with all the differing accents currently in Westeros I can easily look past this.

Speaking of Perfect casting, I think the actor playing Varys is Incredible! I really hope he gets some recognition this season as Dinklage did last & the way the two play off each other is really exciting to watch.

Am puzzled by all these complaints about Peter Dinklage's alleged bad accent. Just what accent is he supposed to have? Especially in a series which has so many different ones. OK, he doesn't speak like YOU think he should, but that doesn't mean it is a 'bad' accent. Just get over it people - relax, open your ears and enjoy the performance by a great actor.

I don't think it's about him having a different accent than we imagined he would have, at least nor for me. It's about Dinklage falling in and out of his attempt at British English. I think that's reasonable criticism about an ACTOR... He has to control his accent as part of his job. Hugh Laurie controls both accents very well and that makes him a great actor.

This has nothing to do with the show having different accents already. It's about the fact that the characters with accents should be consistent. LF is another example of an inconsistent accent, especially this season. Shae has a very broken accent but at least she doesn't suddenly switch to australian or cockney.

Edited by Dragon greyscale

I don't notice his changing accent at all. But then, in RL I know several people whose accents and speech patterns can change several times a day depending on the company they are in or the particular situation. So it just doesn't worry me at all. I actually find Peter Dinklage's speech (with whatever acccent!) much easier to understand than Sean Bean's grumbles and mumbles. :D

Also, some actors, even incredibly talented ones, are much better at changing accents than others. Someone like Gary Oldman can have a different accent in each movie: others will always sound the same, no matter what. Hugh Lawrie obviously has an ear for accents, but holding everyone to that standard is ridiculous. There are some wonderful, all time great actors who will always be instantly identifiable through their voices, no matter what role they are playing. It doesn't make them any less of an actor.

Edited by Currawong

Returning to Craster for a moment, I think the thing that bothers me is that in the series, there's no explanation for why Mormont lets him get away with it (or then I missed it). In the books he's at least supplying some information, and offering a semi-friendly forward operating base for the rangers. In the series, though, he doesn't really have any actionable intel, and seems to mainly let them come around because there's a lot of them, with swords.

Returning to Craster for a moment, I think the thing that bothers me is that in the series, there's no explanation for why Mormont lets him get away with it (or then I missed it). In the books he's at least supplying some information, and offering a semi-friendly forward operating base for the rangers. In the series, though, he doesn't really have any actionable intel, and seems to mainly let them come around because there's a lot of them, with swords.

I really can't believe that Mormont knows the full extent of what Craster's doing. I'm gonna assume that he thought craster just left the sons out in the woods to die so they wouldn't pose a threat to him, but the idea that the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch knows about the Others and has done precisely squat about is just too ridiculous.

Mormont says on the TV show that Craster's been the difference between life and death for rangers many times, so they basically explain why the Watch lets him do what he does in very much the same way as in the novel.

I really, really could not care any less about Peter Dinklage's accent, nor many of the opther accents. Its really trivial.

I think, and I don't know if anyone has asked D&D, that a decision was made to have everyone just flat speak in their 'everyday' (stage) accent. Some actors have keep their native accents but by way of stage training modified from what they spoke as puppies. I think some can drop back into their childhood accents when they want.

I think it a wise decision , Dinklage speaks a very eloquent refined (American ) stage English with a sophisticated elocution. I don't find it distracting at all. He and Charles Dance together are a master class in elocution.

Now I don't know how they picked Carice van Houten's accent, she might have a slight dutch now and then but it's so slight , to my ear, it's hard to discern. Tom Wlaschiha sure does not use a German accent, in fact that is one hell of a nuanced accent!

Maybe YOU got no point other then "end of episode" but for all the HBO subs who have not read the books, they got a very real clifhanger. Last season we saw the 'main character' get his head chopped off. GOT is a no holds barred type TV show, and if you are able to leave your audience(the majority at least) on the edge of their seats in high anticipation for the next episode you will see rating increases.

If you want to get more indepth beyond the "business" of a TV show it also resulted in other things.

1.)it reminded the viewers that something else is out there. something not human.

2.)It showed that Jon Snow despite being good with a sword is still very green(running into a situation without thought, or awareness) And that despite all that, if he tries to save a baby he does not know. Selfless acts are the ones of heroes.

3.)It gave an inside look at how Grey the world really is, even someone as "good" as the nightwatch will let something continue to happen, if it means ultimately their rangers will have a safe place to stop beyond the wall.

4.)It showed that despite that The old Bear DOES care that its happening, and also reaffirms his feelings that Jon would make a good leader. You can see this when he gives Jon the sword back

5.)It shows that Craster, Despite being a fucking bastard, is still a human, and isnt just some blood thirsty monster. He could have killed snow, but he didnt, he let him live, and he let him leave with all his appendages.

6.)it verified whats happening to the sons.

None of those reasons might mean anything to you, and thats perfectly fine, but news flash, this show isnt being made for you. It's being made for a wider audience full of people who have never read the books..

You say that now, but again you have no idea whats written for the next few episodes, so like i said before, how about you take a breath, and wait til next week and see how it plays out.

So like I said earlier in the thread, why not use any of the existing cliffhangers in the books? Why make up one - and why make one up that doesn't flow? Actually, the show is being made for me, since I am one of those people you talk about watching it, just like it is made for you and every other viewer.

My breathing is just fine - no need to worry about that. No, I'm not in the know about what they have written for future episodes - but why does that preclude questioning decisions on what they have shown us so far? They have made a very good adaption overall - but more than a few of the deviations they have chosen to make have not added anything to an all ready rich story. So please, notch down the self righteousness a little

just off the top of my head, sansa could have told the truth. Joffrey stumbled upon arya and mycha playing with sticks, and decided to whip his sword out and threaten them for no reason other then he could.

Surely they wouldnt have killed mycha at that point.

I don't think that is necessarily true - Cersei has shown she has no issue with having children killed for various reasons, including one of her own childhood friends.

Please refrain from the always sophmoric "Are we reading the same series/books?" or some derivation thereof. Yes, we are all reading the exact same books and watching the exact same shows. Unless some of you are drinking when you are doing either activity.

I agree..sort of. I think it is a valid question if asked appropriately. As has been said many times in the thread, no - some people have not read the books and don't have a frame of reference that someone who has read them may be coming from.