It does feel like the writers are trying to insert Littlefinger into the show a lot more than in the books.

Worth noting, producers D&D have stated when they have a good actor they feel aesthetically an obligation to give them 'screen time'. Their problem is that they have picked so damn many excellent actors this can become a plot driver.

Even within 10 hours of visual presentation and narrative compression it takes a lot of ingenuity. Something that one can do on the page is harder in front of the camera. Even tho one can present a lot of exposition quickly visually the viewers familiar with the prose narrative should look on the visual narrative as something that can not be a transliteration (as long as the essential story is presented).

Worth noting, producers D&D have stated when they have a good actor they feel aesthetically an obligation to give them 'screen time'. Their problem is that they have picked so damn many excellent actors this can become a plot driver.

I'ts very obvious that this is what they are doing. Also remember that these actos have publicists and others who routinely lobby to get their guy/gal more screen times.

I'm not a big fan of Asha, she's too ugly. I can't help but lose interest with that horrible horrible face. Besides that i agree that this episode was epic. Abit gutted about Arya not screaming for Winterfell, hope Jaqen is good when we get to see abit more of him. And again it's been said but the tyrion scene with pycelle/lf and varys was awesome!

The scene with Tyrion and Pycelle/Varys/Littlefinger was awesome.

I'm not so sure about Asha Yara at this point though. She seems more mellow than the books, but who knows.

And is it just me, or does Renly seem closer to the book version this season?

Oh and just saw the preview for ep 4. Yay for Renly holding a peach :cheers:

Edited by Lady Lilac

There was an interview with Brian Cogman, the writer for this ep, where he said they didn't think the show's older Arya would be foolish enough to yell out "Winterfell!" and you couldn't have Hot Pie yelling "Hot Pie!" by himself.

But she was foolish enough to tell Gendry the truth at a point when she didn't really know him nor trust him yet...

I thought it was hot and I'm not gay :D

I was a giggling fool when Renly said "I want to pray. Alone."

Oh oh something I hadn't mentioned before...maybe I'm easy to please, but I liked the Sansa scene. She's a 15 year old (I think that's her age in the show?) who's held captive by the family who killed her father. I didn't see her as "bratty" toward Shae. I found her to be more broken down and way too depressed to deal with someone.

Shae was also described as insolent in the books.

IMHO thinking of Shae as interesting in the books is mistaking the Shae in Tyrion's head with the real Shae who is merely a grasping prostitute.

As I hadn't heard any discussion of this (probably not enough time to comb through all the threads) I thought I was the only one. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, but I find his bad accent so distracting. It actually snaps me out of enjoying his performances. :frown5:

Who is to say what sort of accent he would have? This isnt earth.

No, Shagga broke down the door with his axe, but Tyrion told him to cut off his manhood and feed it to the goats in order to freak out Pycelle. The only thing that got cut off was Pycelle's beard.

And in later chapters that plus the time n the black cells unmanned Pycelle.

Okay. In regards to the Sansa/Shae scene, let me lay this all out for you, bit by bit.

First off, they skipped right past the parts where Shae was kept in the kitchens and with Lollys, because those would have required them to cast more characters. In a series based on books with such an incredibly huge amount of characters, they need to boil it down to those necessary to move the plot forward while still maintaining as much faithfulness to the books as possible. This was also their reasoning for cutting out Jacelyn Bywater and just using Bronn.

Shae never in the kitchens. Otherwise yes.

The Asha/Yara stuff baffles me. Just because the character is a very sexual person in the novels everyone assumes she's a complete knockout. If anything I love that the actress playing her is a curvier girl. I'm a sucker for them and they've been kind of missing from the show up until now. She's the type of character that denies her gender and the typical roles associated with it. I never cease to be amazed by the great choices made by the casting directors.

People also complained about Tywin's lack of muttonchops in the show, even though Charles Dance is perfect in the role. Oh well...

If in future episodes they play up a Cersei's informants then I'll retract that complaint, but to me at the moment it looks more like they're emphasising that Sansa is still a highborn lady and is very used to being waited on hand and foot. I can't think of any significant plot advance that happens as a result of Cersei's informers, the only one that springs to mind is that Tyrion provides it as a reason to employ Shae - which has already happened.

It's not nearly as obvious as people here might have you think, basically: Catelyn observes that he spends more time talking to Loras than Margaery over dinner, he asks Loras to 'stay and pray' with him, and Loras is particularly devastated when he's killed.

And the threat of Jaime to Loras, to stick his sword in a place even Renly never found.

I guess for me the actors are all fine. My problem is Arya's arc at the moment. Yes, I love her book character, so I am biased. In the book the brief time she and her companions were free before being captured by the Mountain was an important in developing her leadership qualities. While they still managed to convey her shrewdness, they missed an important bit. I also don't like how Yoren gave her the idea for her mantra. Somehow, her hatred was shown to be more pure when she came to that on her own.

Also, being captured by Lorch, is not the same as being captured by the Mountain. Though they are both horrible, Lorch does not convey the great malevolence that the Montain does. I suppose the show might have them meet up, but they missed an opportunity. The Mountain made it onto Arya's list for what happened during that time in captivity; Lorch made it on for killing Yoren. Probably the storyline of the trip with the Mountain was just too incredibly brutal even for HBO.