I agree with you. I'm a woman but that was one of my complaints. However I could have ignored her look (Like I ignore the fact that Theon and Balon look nothing like the books) if she actually played Asha like she's supposed to. She' funny, witty, and has a great deal of charisma. Gemma is just....bleh.

'Yara' has so far not exhibited one ounce of charisma that Asha has. That charsima is so important for Asha to lead Ironborn into battle and to make a play for the Seastone chair.

I'm just not seeing that onscreen.

Mya Stone-

I feel the same way about the Renly tournament scene, I thought it was top notch, partially because Renly was, as you say, like the Renly we love from the book. I really hope we get more of that, but it was really unfortunate the way he was handled in the first season, IMO.

You know, as painful as it might be, sometimes, to see them take liberties, tonight reminded me of why this show can still accomplish so much -- even with its limitations. Theon has one of my favorite arcs in the entire series, and seeing Alfie Allen bring it to life is really satisfying. He's one of the more hated characters, yet he's also one of the most sympathetic.

I think they've made him much more sympathetic than he was in the books (at least before ADwD) and it will interesting to see the reactions of non-book readers after he sacks Winterfell. I wonder if they'll still think of him as sympathetic or just hate him. Edited by Lord Godric

The thing that the novel does with Theon is that George deliberately writes an extremely unreflective Theon to start with, who bends with the wind and goes wherever he imagines his destiny or ambition lies. And then the cracks start to show deeper into the novel. So that's where the ability to look into a character's head suggested to GRRM that he was going to gloss the actual decision to join with Balon, so that he could follow that up down the road. Whereas here, the show -- not having the internal POV -- decides they can't afford to gloss it, they need to show the decision now. Makes sense, and beautifully done.

I'm loving Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Margaery so far. You can definitely see the "Queen of Thorns" influence on her. I understand in aging her you had to make her even more savvy than her book counterpart, but I don't think this is beyond reason of even her book character. I think she's a very savvy, but underrated player of the game. (With the QoT as your gram, you'd have to be daft to not be.)

I completely agree! While watching this episode, I thought how strong she is and how much I'll enjoy her game playing in King's Landing.

She is her grandmother's granddaughter.

Oh yeah, didn't really like the Sansa/Cersei/Tommen/Myrcella scene either. That and the Sansa/Shae scene were my two least favorites tonight.

I guess the more I think about it the more I think the Renly/Loras/Margeary scene was done well.

The thing that the novel does with Theon is that George deliberately writes an extremely unreflective Theon to start with, who bends with the wind and goes wherever he imagines his destiny or ambition lies. And then the cracks start to show deeper into the novel. So that's where the ability to look into a character's head suggested to GRRM that he was going to gloss the actual decision to join with Balon, so that he could follow that up down the road. Whereas here, the show -- not having the internal POV -- decides they can't afford to gloss it, they need to show the decision now. Makes sense, and beautifully done.

Yes.

I couldn't help but say out loud tonight, "Man, I love this Theon." As someone who didn't care one bit for him until ADWD, that's saying something. Alfie is doing a stellar job with what the writers are giving him.

Oh yeah, didn't really like the Sansa/Cersei/Tommen/Myrcella scene either. That and the Sansa/Shae scene were my two least favorites tonight.

Oh, I loved that scene.

It showed how sweet Tommen and Mrycella are compared to their brother and mother. We don't see them much, so I loved seeing Tommen say he wouldn't like Robb being murdered. :crying:

I don't care about the Loras/Renly scene, however I do not see how people can say that Renly's character is being fleshed out better than the books. His character just seems really MEH atm. Even the two non bookers reader who I watch the show with even forgot who the hell he was.."Oh another king?" I don't know about him. I really don't think people will care at all when he dies in the show...they will be shocked/surprised HOW he dies, but not a care in the world about the character. Hate to say it but I bet non book readers will remember Renly as the Gay king who died

I think they've made him much more sympathetic than he was in the books (at least before ADwD) and it will interesting to see the reactions of non-book readers after he sacks Winterfell. I wonder if they'll still think of him as sympathetic or just hate him.

Agree. They've gone a long way to making him a tragic figure. It's been good writing.

While Shae doesn't work for me, Sansa does. I was amused how in one scene you feel terrible for her as she is in a horrifying situation. The next scene she's a snobby lady. Ah, Sansa...

I like how they managed to fit in the whole Tyrion casting a long shadow image.

Other than the gratuitious gay sex scene, it was a great episode.

.......except it wasn't a sex scene. They made out and that's it...I mean you think it would have been as gratuitous as every other sex scene in Game of Thrones.

I feel like this is one of the best eps of the show so far. There were plenty of conversations nearly verbatim from the books and I thought that the new material was worked in great.

It seems like nobody who's read the books likes TV show Shae. I am in this camp too. I don't know what they are doing with her. That was about the only thing going wrong tonight. The stuff with Margaery is different from the books but I think it works in the context of the show. As others have mentioned, the book reader can see the Queen of Thorns' influence there, and I think that's fine. Pragmatic to the core. You can see how she might be able to easily pivot to an alliance with the Lannisters, when it's clear they are ascendant ... yet ready to stick the knife in their backs as soon as they present it, too.

Zios-

That's why I've been saying it's a shame how Renly's charcter has been treated thusfar, with no semblence to the character that is so lovable in the books, aside from his tourney scene tonight. The person I was watching it with who hasn't read the book either also asked me twice who Renly was. Hopefully HBO does some serious work on the Renly character over the next few episodes, because I don't see him lasting past episode 6.