Favourite episode so far by a lot. Brienne is great. Not sure I like the portrayal of loras but I've been told that I glorify loras is the books as a perfect knight who's just cocky because he's good, like Jaime. In the show I find him kinda whiny, he actually reminds me of viserys. But like I said that's probably my own fault for having an unrealistic idea of him. That said the renly/Tyrell set up was excellently written. Also loved the theon/balon scene, Yoren and tyrions set up, just a great episode all around.

Bigotry can't be ignored or it will spread like a festering wound. Sweeping glaringly ignorant comments under the rug does nothing to solve the issue.

But other than that, I'm sorry if you thought I was de-railing the thread, although matters of misogyny are often debated on this board, so why not homophobia which is also plays a part in the actual series?

And it plays a part of this episode even. What better place to discuss a viewers views of a part of the episode?

There is no indication of Craster's religious beliefs or relationship with the Walkers. There is also no indication that he kills them.

Other than the fact that he has no boys living around him? Only daughters?

Again John was surprised by his alliance with the walkers. The only thing he knows about them is that they mindlessly attack people, not them dealing with other humans.

No. John is not only upset about the walkers but the fact that Mormont et al are okay that Craster sends his baby boys to die in the woods; the fact that White Walkers take them and not the cold is immaterial. Its really repugnant either way. Hence John's surprise that Mormont had already deduced all of this is just hillarious.

Agree. They've gone a long way to making him a tragic figure. It's been good writing.

While Shae doesn't work for me, Sansa does. I was amused how in one scene you feel terrible for her as she is in a horrifying situation. The next scene she's a snobby lady. Ah, Sansa...

Snobby? Shae clearly had no earthly idea what she was doing. If she can't do her job, what is she doing there? Sansa already has to deal with playing nice to her father's murderers all day and being all happiness and smiles in public despite her true feelings about it, I don't think she wants to go home and nursemaid an incompetent maid.

Best episode of the season, on part with some of the best of season 1.

My computer is momentarily busted, so I'll just say that Pycelle couldn't have known about the incest otherwise his season 1 plotline makes no sense. However, that's a minor error in an otherwise flawless episode.

Thank any and all gods they abridged the Drowned God aspect.

Overall, liked it. Tyrion and Yoren were the highlights, Balon's moment of self-doubt the surprise, and Renly again the least well served.

Brienne was closer than I ever thought they'd get, but her devotion is only covered in the script...in action/demeanor she was pretty unreadable, and that's not how I read it.

By far the best scene was the Tyrion's test sequence.

Edited by James Arryn

I'm getting a strange feeling... I love Lena Headey to bits and her fab portrayal of Cersei, butttt-- I just cant see her being slutty Cersei who sleeps around and acts all bipolar - there i said it. Cersei's supposed to sleep around a lot, esp in the later books, and Lena just plays her soo calm and classy and sophisticated, which is exacerbated in the show when the producers changed some of her unclassy (book) actions (ordering the death of the bastards etc) and softened her up a bit.

But Loras... ugh. That's all. It's not because he's gay. It's because he's unattractive (hey being beautiful and strong albeit skinny is an important part of who he is in the book) and whiny and silly. Totally outmatched by his sister.

We'll call it a preference thing then. I think he looks so much better this season than last. Definitely agree with you about Shae though.

I really missed Ros this week. She should have been the whore in Pyrcells chamber...

OK....OK... I am trolling here

Nice one. :P

They could have displayed the same thing without all the making out. It was so unneccessary. I don't bitch about heteroism because every scene in the show so far displayed a purpose. (Jaime and Cersei in the tower for example.)

The scene was fine as it was. Renly and Loras appear to be in love, so I don't see what the problem is. Thou protesteth too much.

An excellent episode, much, so much better than episode 2 !

I really liked Theon's scenes. Alfie Allen really has come into the character. The Drowned God ceremony was intense. Nice scene between Yoren and Arya, especially the part where Yoren talks about repeating the name of the man who killed his brother every night, like a prayer (I don't think that's in the books...), that's pretty good writing, to introduce Arya's bedtime prayer.

The whole Tyrion - Littlefinger - Varys - Cersei - Pycelle part was probably the highlight of the episode (of course, any appearance of Peter Dinklage is the highlight of an episode :lol: )

I liked Brienne. I did picture her as devoted yet stoic and stern.

The introduction of the Martells and the Tyrells in what was just a "Stark vs Evil Blonds vs that gay guy vs the dude with the red woman" is nicely done as well, just to remind people that there is a bigger picture.

Oh, and FINALLY the "Power is a curious thing..." scene. Somehow it got ruined for me in a way, they really overused it in trailers.

I still haven't made up my mind about Asha. I guess we'll have to see.

I'm not one prone to seeing ____ism wherever I look, but I think people conscious of portrayals of homosexuals would have a pretty solid issue with this show as contrasted with the book.

They have simultaneously ratcheted up Renly's gay-ness while completely doing away with his martial skill/bravery etc. and conforming him to a stereotype of, well, homosexuals as 'soft'.

It may be entirely coincidental, but I doubt it.

I think they reached for easy-to-identify archetypes. And if it was coincidental and no one thought to put 2 and 2 together...wow.

Oh, and FINALLY the "Power is a curious thing..." scene. Somehow it got ruined for me in a way, they really overused it in trailers.

Same. Rivals Cersei's 'game of thrones' line as foundational for the series, and yet having seen it before lightened it.

Disturbing homophobia displayed by some of the posters. Not cool at all. One of the great things about the book series and it's fans is how intelligent and worldly they are, not like the typical fantasy fanboy. To this forum's credit, the vast majority of the posters here are thoughtful, insightful and add to the dialogue/theories surrounding this wonderful series. That's why it sticks out so much when homophobic neanderthals manage to find their way here.

I agree. We dont need "Republican Space Rangers" around here to be honest.

Bigotry can't be ignored or it will spread like a festering wound. Sweeping glaringly ignorant comments under the rug does nothing to solve the issue.

But other than that, I'm sorry if you thought I was de-railing the thread, although matters of misogyny are often debated on this board, so why not homophobia which is also plays a part in the actual series?

Actualy im not sure wtf is up with the homophobia in the show. Homosexuality in the books seems to be ignored or regarded as a bad habit.

WoW Yoren scene's were awesome, went out like a G.

Yara/Asha has something about her, I find her plenty attractive, likely will even more so when she is command of 30 ships.

Was nearly in tears during the Yoren/Arya scene.

Bran/Maester Luwin scene was good, helped explain his dreams with little wasted screen time.

Brienne was perfect imo.

coulda done without the loras/renly scene but I understand the ladies might have enjoyed it more so then us men.

All in all great episode, am I the only one who feels like these episodes last like 5 mins?!

I'm getting a strange feeling... I love Lena Headey to bits and her fab portrayal of Cersei, butttt-- I just cant see her being slutty Cersei who sleeps around and acts all bipolar - there i said it. Cersei's supposed to sleep around a lot, esp in the later books, and Lena just plays her soo calm and classy and sophisticated, which is exacerbated in the show when the producers changed some of her unclassy (book) actions (ordering the death of the bastards etc) and softened her up a bit.

She only sleeps with a Kettleblack once and that was for lack of choice. And Lady Taena ofc... looking forward to that :drool: