I felt for Theon....it's a losing battle with Balon...I mean Balon gave him up to Starks anyways and he puts his son down for it....like he was a young boy at the time. I felt like he was doing this to please his father and sister.

I liked the Renly/Loras and Margeary triangle....obviously she has been trained well but I think she shocked Renly when she told him he knew about him and Loras. I think there is going to be more there.

The Wlding scenes were too short...would have liked to see more.

I thought Tyrion was brilliant......especially setting up the small council members. I can see Littlefinger's greed but I'm unsure of Varys and what his intentions. Loved Cersei's reaction...about the proposed marriage. He always seems to get her.

Good on Arya for hiding Gendry after that nasty attack. She has lots of honour.

I too, feel sorry for Sansa as she had these ideas of what Court life would be like only to have it all come crashing down on her...I do hope her character develops more this season.

Brienne of Tarth...I didn't think any King would let a woman in the Kingsguard.

Edited by nightshadow

I'm actually confused about the Sansa situation. What exactly do the Lannisters gain by marrying Sansa to Joffrey at this point? If they were assured of victory, it might make sense to proceed with the marriage, as a means of healing over old wounds and giving the defeated Northerners a stake in the future regime. But right now, with Robb winning, the Lannisters' primary concern should be to win over new allies, and marrying Joffrey to someone else would be a great way to win new allies. So why is Sansa still the fiance, instead of just a hostage?

I will try and not spoil things for you, by only using things known from the show explaining the matter of Sansa's still-betrothal :P

So what we now from the show is that Robb can fight the Lannisters forever, but he won't win unless he takes kings landing and other important Lannister strongholds and that he can not do that without a navy (that's why he sends theon to treat with his father balon greyjoy).

The other thing we know is that Robb hasn't won a victory against a lannister army led by tywin lannister himself and tywin is an experienced und brilliant army commander, so he is sure that he will defeat robb stark in the end, also the lannisters have like unlimited ressources, if they run out of men, they could just hire thousands of mercenarys to keep on fighting for them.

So if Tywin manages to defeat Robb Stark and execute him, Winterfell and the north would pass on to Bran and then to Rickon, both beeing kids. Tywin Lannister did kill the Targaryen children he could get his hands on, so killing another two boys wouldn't be that hard for him, which would make Sansa heir to Winterfell, so if this scenario should happen he could marry Sansa to Joffrey and BĂ„M the north is rulled by a lannister by legal ways.

This possibility, together with the knowledge that a marriage to no other great house would bring in as many benefits to the lannisters as the starks right now (the tyrells are already renlys bannermen, the martells hate the lannisters, the vale hasn't got a female heir, hoster tully nor edmure tully have a daughter which they could marry to joffrey nor would they if they had, the iron islands are insignificent to the lannisters and are looking to have some disputed succession after balon greyjoy dies).

Edited by drigoly

Tywin Lannister did kill the Targaryen children he could get his hands on, so killing another two boys wouldn't be that hard for him, which would make Sansa heir to Winterfell, so if this scenario should happen he could marry Sansa to Joffrey and BĂ„M the north is rulled by a lannister by legal ways.

My god, that is truly awful. I thought I couldn't hate the Lannisters any more than I do, but you've found a way for that to happen. :o

So, the idea is that this would be a way to legitimize their inevitable conquest of the North? I don't know, a Robb-Renly alliance makes a Lannister victory seem less than inevitable. And even if Robb and Renly don't ally, the Lannisters still have to beat both of them; that would seem like the most pressing concern. But maybe you're right that there aren't any available girls for Joffrey to marry besides Sansa.

My god, that is truly awful. I thought I couldn't hate the Lannisters any more than I do, but you've found a way for that to happen. :o

So, the idea is that this would be a way to legitimize their inevitable conquest of the North? I don't know, a Robb-Renly alliance makes a Lannister victory seem less than inevitable. And even if Robb and Renly don't ally, the Lannisters still have to beat both of them; that would seem like the most pressing concern. But maybe you're right that there aren't any available girls for Joffrey to marry besides Sansa.

What about Stannis?...isn't that why Catelyn is there to talk to Renly about forming an alliance with Stannis so that they can all attack Kings Landing together and outnumber the Lannisters?

What about Stannis?...isn't that why Catelyn is there to talk to Renly about forming an alliance with Stannis so that they can all attack Kings Landing together and outnumber the Lannisters?

Yes, that's why Cat is there. To get the little Baratheon brothers to stop bickering and attack the Lannisters.

Yes, that's why Cat is there. To get the little Baratheon brothers to stop bickering and attack the Lannisters.

Ok..that's what I thought.....I guess the key here is whether the brothers can stop bickering or not....because that really leaves the north quite open hence Balon's conquest of Winterfell and the north.

Not realy, she's there to see who will be willing to ally with Robb and let him keep the north. If the Baratheons stoped bickering (imposible btw) everyone would be fucked including Robb. Why would they give up the north wth an army of 100k+.

I dont understand the Sansa hate. I think the portrayal has been very good. Yes she lied and acted like a moron over a crush. Seems like a typical teenage girl to me.

I don't necessary hate Sansa....I feel empathic towards her actually...she had these wonderful dreams of Court life and had been brought up by Septa to be a Lady but with her father's death and horrible treatment by Joffrey and Cersei..it's just sad to see that no one in Kings Landing, no one has her back and therefore, is subject to ridicule. The only other person that has been fairly decent to her was Tyrion in which he told her that he was sorry for her father's death and then with backhanded comment said to Joffrey that he didn't do the same for his father (esp 201). Perhaps Shae maybe her only recourse during her stay at King's Landing. I do hope to see her get someback bone one day.

Casting quibble, I think the actress playing the Tyrrell girl should have been shae, I like the actress who plays Shae but not in that role, she could have played someone else.better, but maybe I just dislike three way some of her scenes were written. I think the actress who plays dany is beautiful, whenher hair isn't blonde so she would have been good as the Tyrell girl. As written, shae in the show is not convincing.

Renly is less regal in the show, but more human, also the gay scenes are a good counter balance to all the gratuitous sex and nudity. His queen is more overtly savvy in the show too, which is good in my opinion.

Ok...rewatched last nite....why is Catelyn always so serious?? Does she ever relax??

She has a lot on her shoulders. Her husband was just murdered. Her oldest son is at war, as far as she knows both her daughters are in Lannister hands, her younger sons are hundreds of miles away in the North. She is trying to give Robb good advice, which he doesn't always follow (example: sending Theon to Pyke).

Plus, I think judging by her overall demeanor and her actions early in the first season (before Ned and the girls left Winterfell), she has a serious, no nonsense disposition anyway.

She has a lot on her shoulders. Her husband was just murdered. Her oldest son is at war, as far as she knows both her daughters are in Lannister hands, her younger sons are hundreds of miles away in the North. She is trying to give Robb good advice, which he doesn't always follow (example: sending Theon to Pyke).

Plus, I think judging by her overall demeanor and her actions early in the first season (before Ned and the girls left Winterfell), she has a serious, no nonsense disposition anyway.

She does have a lot on her shoulders and she is trying to do what is best for her children as well as seeking revenge for what happened to her husband and Bran.

Tyrion is one of my favorites. The trick he pulled was awsome. Of all the council members I thought that Littlefinger would be the one to tell the Queen as he did a mistake in the last episode he had to make right.

Varys, although an evil mastermind at first sight, did prove that he only has the best intentions of the kingdom in mind when he wanted to help Ned.

As for Sansa, I am soory for her but that is what happens when you forget your mother's family motto: family, duty, honor. But she is a typical teenage girl so it is understood that she would choose the pretty-boy over her own sister.

And Arya......well...i just love her. She has shown great courage, intelligence and honour!