How would you rate episode 203?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Easily best of the season. for all of the reasons that have been mentioned. The scene which cuts the three tyrion conversations was fantastic.

The one things that show the limitations of the project is that the running jokes are undercut by the fact that they are no longer running. Tyrion telling shagga to cut off pycelles manhood and feed it to the goats isn;t funny if we haven't heard shagga say it more than once. Lommy yielding is only funny if he keeps yielding, even in ridiculous situations.

I gave it a 9. My complaints:

Really can't stand the Shae portrayal, I dont remember her being so annoying in the book, way to much time dedicated to her too.

I agree that Theon should have been drowned, that would make for good TV.

Finally I hear the word 'Hodor' and it wasn't even him saying it, WTF? Hodor needs to say 'Hodor' on the reg!

The whole Renly Loras thing and sexuality in general is really being overplayed. Have to admit to cringing a bit, maybe thats the goal, to push comfort boundaries.

But hey sex sells....

At least NO ROS!!! YIPEEEEE!! Also, I found Shae irritating in the books, the show clearly demonstrates that she is a female Bronn. That she is out for $$$$ and power while Tyrion clearly sees that in Bronn he does not see that in Shae.

At least NO ROS!!! YIPEEEEE!! Also, I found Shae irritating in the books, the show clearly demonstrates that she is a female Bronn. That she is out for $$$$ and power while Tyrion clearly sees that in Bronn he does not see that in Shae.

I don't know. Tyrion seems to very aware of Shae's motives. He says at some point something like "you stupid dwarf, she loves your money, not your cock". But I think he chose to ignore that because she was really the only comfort he had in KL.

Great episode!!! Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I gave it a 9 though, waiting for episode 8 (Blackwater) to wow my socks off. :drunk:

I am absolutely at peace with all the changes they made to the narrative. We must make allowances for the screen time and financial limitations a TV show must have. With what they have, they have done splendidly well.

In answer to those who didn't like the Loras/Renly/Marge scene. Well, I think with these many characters, its a matter of choice which ones you want to explore more fully in every episode. I think all this time with Loras and Renly will add up to the central role Marge has later on in KL, and all the machinations of the Tyrells. I believe we shan't have an Olena Redwyne, but that character will be folded into Marge. We definitely see a bit of her grandma's cunning and worldliness in the scene with Renly. Absolutely loved that!

Agree with that. There was just too much of her in the books. She was never an interesting or appealing character, and all the verbiage about Tyrion's cock in the books was easily as tiresome and pointless as any of the sex scenes in the show.

Edited by ace

Agree with that. There was just too much of her in the books. She was never an interesting or appealing character, and all the verbiage about Tyrion's cock in the books was easily as tiring and pointless as any of the sex scenes in the show.

I think she is the book version of Ros. Sexplication tool. Eitherway, she reveals a lot about Tyrion's character and his constant grappling with the Tysha incident in his past life and how almost everything he does is shaded by that. Its, in a way, his focal mission in life...to find out 'where whores go?'

So far I really like Shae, do not know what people are complaining about.

Pycelle could have been tortured some more though. Now it was just too easy for him. Also thought it would have been nice if the first "plan" to pass Tyrion's lips would have been Theon. The viewers, who did not read the books, would have been blown away :D

The only more serious downside was Loras for me. When I've stopped worrying all is not going the same as books, all got better :blush:

And the last line I save for

Yoren. I ask for a minute of silence. What is dead might never die.

Damn I wanted to see Hot Pie fighting and shouting "Hot Pie,Hot Pie" when hes doing it.

That was real shame. He said "Yield" instead :angry: But, as I've said, I now just worry less :lol:

Edited by A Free Shadow

I gave it a 9.

-I loved the scene with Arya and Yoren, don't mind the changes at all. Yes the fight was a bit anticlimactic as far as scale goes, but Yoren's bad-assness made up for it. I know some people wish it was a bigger battle like in the books, but I think they are saving most of that cash on the Blackwater battle.

-I love that I hate Shae. I didn't like her in the books and I don't like her in the show, which only made that story better in my mind.

-Enjoyed how regal Renly is. They could have been a bit more coy on the homosexuality instead of hitting me over the head with it, but Margaery Tyrell is def. stepping up her game early.

-I agree that Yara isn't quite filling out the boots from Asha in the books, but given she has only had like 5 minutes of screen time I'm going to hold out. Even the second time around it is hard to see Theon betray Robb.

Stray thoughts:

-Sansa aged like 4 years or grew 6 inches in between episodes it felt like.

- Brienne FTW

-AV club reviewed the episode, and the editor has not read the books. Found it very amusing that he said this about Theon in this episode, "But throwing his lot in with his father makes sense from an emotional standpoint, and that grim baptism scene (Balon looks on, not proud, but not disgusted either) just reeked of abandonment issues." There is a word in there that book readers may get a chuckle out of.

Just want to chime in that i actually like Asha. Is she gorgeous? No. but very sexy. And we haven't seen her out there without Balon yet -- she could be fantastic once he isnt around. I think its a Mary su - thing -- if you loved a character in the book more than others - and they changed that character in the show - you are prone to dislike it.

I actually like her a lot -- but agree that Shae is painful at this point. We'll never know her "new" back story imho -- so why bother?

Otherwise - I gave the episode an 8 as its hitting its stride now that the setup is set up.

And I really would give it an 11 on Margery alone.

Still - some scenes still go on too long. That's my problem with the novels as well though. I'd rather get 500 page books and then someday get "Unfinished Tales" and all that kinda jazz.

The good parts are great - just getting to them can be a little painful to me.

I'm still happy - -it's my fave show on TV these days -- even if all i got to watch was the opening credits while the map is "built"

Which I would buy as a decoration the moment it goes on sale.

I gave it a 9.

-I loved the scene with Arya and Yoren, don't mind the changes at all. Yes the fight was a bit anticlimactic as far as scale goes, but Yoren's bad-assness made up for it. I know some people wish it was a bigger battle like in the books, but I think they are saving most of that cash on the Blackwater battle.

-I love that I hate Shae. I didn't like her in the books and I don't like her in the show, which only made that story better in my mind.

-Enjoyed how regal Renly is. They could have been a bit more coy on the homosexuality instead of hitting me over the head with it, but Margaery Tyrell is def. stepping up her game early.

-I agree that Yara isn't quite filling out the boots from Asha in the books, but given she has only had like 5 minutes of screen time I'm going to hold out. Even the second time around it is hard to see Theon betray Robb.

Stray thoughts:

-Sansa aged like 4 years or grew 6 inches in between episodes it felt like.

- Brienne FTW

-AV club reviewed the episode, and the editor has not read the books. Found it very amusing that he said this about Theon in this episode, "But throwing his lot in with his father makes sense from an emotional standpoint, and that grim baptism scene (Balon looks on, not proud, but not disgusted either) just reeked of abandonment issues." There is a word in there that book readers may get a chuckle out of.

nice catch on the "word" for book readers.

and i think its arya that is obviously growing too fast as opposed to sansa. bran still looks ok to me as does tommen and myrcella.

but i fear for that aging child actors thing -- always worried they'll bring in sam from diffrnt strokes when the older kids aint as cute as they used to be.

Still - some scenes still go on too long. That's my problem with the novels as well though. I'd rather get 500 page books and then someday get "Unfinished Tales" and all that kinda jazz.

This is probably my only real issue with the TV series as a whole. We'll get scenes like Viserys/Doreah in the tub, Shae/Sansa, sociopathic Littlefinger monologues - which are all great characterization scenes, don't get me wrong, but the writers dwell on them more than they need to and then we get a 10 second battle with Yoren dying so quickly and no one helping him. I guess it's a strategy to keep the budget lower by focusing on drawn-out dialogue as an excuse to shoot less of the expensive scenes.

nice catch on the "word" for book readers.

and i think its arya that is obviously growing too fast as opposed to sansa. bran still looks ok to me as does tommen and myrcella.

but i fear for that aging child actors thing -- always worried they'll bring in sam from diffrnt strokes when the older kids aint as cute as they used to be.

Everyone gets aged up and it fits the progression of the story. Arya's character works fine as a teenager by book 4 and Sansa needs to be a bit older for when Joffrey strips her down, etc.

If the Bran actor hits a growth spurt that might get awkward quickly though, a grown man riding Hodor won't look right.