How would you rate episode 203?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Absolutely flawless, the best episode so far in either season following the worst (IMO). All the acting was top notch. Sophie nearly broke my heart- I also think Sansa was not being (very) bitchy having a go at Shae. Not only was she really upset and feeling trapped for good reason, but in any circumstances having someone clearly not experienced/trained in the job who gives a bit of attitude turning up uninvited as a Maid in Waiting would be justification for some annoyance. Love the Welsh accents of the Lannister kids. LF's accent has changed- he's putting more of his natural brogue into it. I assume it's deliberate, reminding us he is from the Vale and not as high-born as Cersei/Tyrion etc as well.

Alfie masters Theon. I don't like Shae, but that's the character not the actress. Jon is spoilt. Arya is amazing. Every change this episode added a significant amount of value and I loved it. Also, Renly is more like the real Renly, and Marge is played very well, and is smoking hot. Some wry nods to fan theories there as well.

That's not an accurate statement. Many folks in the past few weeks have complained about the needless "T and A" of the series especially in the Ros scenes, now they complain about see two men get it on and they are homophobic?

Oh, of course you're right, look at all of the complaints in this very thread about the needless Margary/Renly sex sceen that was so gratuitous, definitely NOT in the book, and far more explicit than the Loras/Renly sex sce-

Oh, right, there weren't any complaints about that. At all. And it happened in this very episode.

I don't want to derail the thread, but you're full of it.

Ok, ok. While I hear and understand the complaints about Yara, I'm starting to warm up to her. I'm telling myself that the the Iron Islands are a cold, hard, and miserable place. Maybe the writers on the show didn't want to show the sassy, playful Asha, but wanted to keep Yara as cold, hard, and miserable like everyone else on the Islands. I don't know the reason why they would rewrite her, but I'm trying to accept her as a different character. :dunno:

Gave it a 7, much better than last week's which was my least favorite overall.

• Tyrion's tests, and confrontations with Varys, Littlefinger, and Pycelle. Cersei and Tyrion.
  • Brienne and the Renly story line thise episode in general. I know some really disliked the sexual part, but honestly I thought it felt the most natural and least "sexpostion" like so far. Not that I ever want to watch men make out, but at least the conversations felt natural and were plot related. Brienne looks perfect, and though she seems a bit over confident, I will reserve judgement there.
  • Yoren was good, though I am not totally a fan of his last scene. More details below.
  • Theon was great.
  • Bran's wolf dreams were nicely done. Something that could easily be handled terribly, but we see thru Summer's eyes as the wolf jumps on the bed and wakes Bran.

Dislikes:

• Yara hasn't lived up to expectations so far. Still early, but she just seems sullen and angry so far, none of the bravado of the book version who is completely at home with the men she has fought with. Perhaps the problem is that they haven't given her any other Iron Born besides her father and Theon to interact with.
  • Shae. Of all the TV characters, she is the furthest from the book version, and frankly it is hard to imagine why Tyrion would be attached to her. I think Ros, for all her flaws as a character who gets too much screen time in proportion to her importance, much better fits the book version of Shae. Book Shae was sweet and flirtatious to the extreme and always wanted to be with Tyrion, but the TV version is a bitch more often than not, and there is no chemistry, or sweetness for us to think Tyrion would risk everything for her, instead of just finding any other whore in King's Landing.
  • It's hard to believe that Amory Lorch would be specifically looking for Gendry by name and know about his helm, but wouldn't know that all of Robert's bastards have dark hair. Meaning that the blond Lommy could not possibly be Gendry.
  • Beyond that I thought Yoren was a bit suicidal attacking all those Lannisters alone, and not having Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie and Lommy escape was a bit disappointing. I can understand the compression, and it isn't a huge negative to me, but I can't call it perfect either. It was at best acceptable, due to budget restrictions.
  • Not sure I like the implication that Littlefinger is going to be the one that convinces Catelyn to release Jaime Lannister. It's a bit of a reach to think that Tyrion would even know Catelyn was visiting Renly so quickly, much less get that information, and have time for Littlefinger to travel there before Catelyn leaves again.
  • With such limited screen time for Sansa, I'm not convinced being catty with Shae was a good choice. If there was 12-14 episodes for this season it would be trivial, but the length of that scene was equivalent to the amount of time spent on 1-2 chapters worth of events for other characters.

Other thoughts: I'm really curious as to what role Ros is supposed to fill now? At the start of the season there was much speculation on her replacing Chataya and/or Alayaya, but they appear to be skipping over the whole Tyrion sneaking out to see Shae story line, making both of those characters unnecessary anyway. The show still has some really great moments, but 10 episodes really is leaving a lot of the story line on the cutting floor and gives the feeling of watching a "cliff notes" version of the real story with some questionable changes thrown in for good measure. I don't hate it by any means, but I don't love it as much as I would like to.

How was Sansa even being catty with Shae? No way any character, especially a noble, would have accepted her incompetence and lack of courtesy. Sansa wasn't horrible enough if anything, even without allowing for the horrible situation she is in and the conversation she has just been in

How was Sansa even being catty with Shae? No way any character, especially a noble, would have accepted her incompetence and lack of courtesy. Sansa wasn't horrible enough if anything, even without allowing for the horrible situation she is in and the conversation she has just been in

I'm not saying the cattiness wasn't warranted, I'm saying the whole scene was really long and didn't match up with any exchange Sansa had with her hand maids in the book, much like her attitude towards Septa Mordane was out of character in season 1. For a scene that covered as much screen time as has been spent on 1-2 chapters of content for other characters it seemed unnecessary.

There is also no reason to think that Shae was completely clueless as to what a hand maiden does when she did the job for Lolly or later Sansa. At the very least Varys or Tyrion (who ever got her the job in the TV version), would have given her a basic description of what her job duties were. If screen time was unlimited it wouldn't bother me much, but with so much content cut, it is disappointing that this made up scene took so much time and contributed so little to the story.

The best episode so far, mind you we only have two others to go on, but otherwise very nicely done, especially with the switch of Tyrion to Pycelle to Varys to Littlefinger scenes. In adition Brienne of Tarth is amazing, her towering presence is just like the books described her. Now some say she is still not as ugly as she should be; but recall that her brudish ways and gangly appearance also play into people looking at her as an 'un-Beauty'.

Not sure how people rate the eposide a 10 and still have qualms about it. Shouldn't a 10 be a perfect epsidoe?

I rated it a 10 because I can't name a single thing wrong with it that the producers could've fixed. It was, literally, 100% of what it could have been under time- and budget-restraints. I don't see how anyone could ask for more without opening their own wallet to pay for it; even the deviations were handled flawlessly and added to the character narrative.

Other thoughts: I'm really curious as to what role Ros is supposed to fill now? At the start of the season there was much speculation on her replacing Chataya and/or Alayaya, but they appear to be skipping over the whole Tyrion sneaking out to see Shae story line, making both of those characters unnecessary anyway. The show still has some really great moments, but 10 episodes really is leaving a lot of the story line on the cutting floor and gives the feeling of watching a "cliff notes" version of the real story with some questionable changes thrown in for good measure. I don't hate it by any means, but I don't love it as much as I would like to.

There's a strong chance that Tyrion's passing plot in CoK to "make Joffrey a man" is going to be realized. There's a scene in one of the trailers where Joff is brutalizing a scantily-clad Ros, so...

Interesting! Which trailer is that? Don’t think I notice that before.

It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in "The More You Love," here: http://i.imgur.com/7wbpH.jpg

Not great quality, but you can make the figures out. I can't think of any other reason Joffrey would meet (and have cause to play rough with) Ros the prostitute.

Loved it, I can't quite decide what my favourite part was whether it was Tyrion's trickery, Arya, Gendry and Yoren, Theon's daddy issues or when Margaery offered to get Loras to help with her and Renly! Really like how they've adapted it from the book as well so non-book friends could really appreciate what was going on.