How would you rate episode 203?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I think it is the writing more than his acting. They have made him a blunt, micro-managing pimp rather than a subtle threat and master mind behind the scenes. Likewise with Shae, I don't think it is the actress' fault so much as the writing. NO actress can "act" like she is loving towards Tyrion or seductive if the majority of her lines are her complaining, attacking him for some imagined wrong, or otherwise acting like a bitch.

She's like that in the book, though. She's nothing but a spoiled whore. Plain and simple. And Tyrion is stupid enough to have genuine feelings for her.

I rate this episode an 8.5

-I thought Sophie Turner was very good-her scene almost made me cry

-I love the Pyke scenes so far. I have always had a soft spot for Theon and I think the show is really driving home his inner conflict and his desire to belong, making his vunerabilities much more apparent. Props to Alfie Allen. The burning of the letter and the way it transitioned into the baptism scene was beautiful. Special shout out to Ramin Djiwandi (sp?) for the score; the music this season, and especially during the baptism scene was phenomenal.

-Amazing editing during Tyrion's 1,2,3 scene; it was very fun to watch

-Conleth Hill as Varys is absolutely amazing. His face when Tyrion made the proposal to wed Myrcella to Theon was priceless.

-Brienne was amazing. I think Gwendoline Christie played her with just the right amount of awkwardness.

- Yoren will be missed very much; even on re-watch I had to look away when Amory placed that sword through his neck.

Complaints:- I did not see the point of the Jon scene; they could have just shown the Night's Watch leaving Craster's keep, they did not need to be kicked out.

-No Hotpie war cry :bang:

Edited by Puzzle

Horse budget problems again?

George handed them the melee at Bitterbridge on a silver platter.

When Cat arrives of the hundred or so knights who started ... all have been eliminated...only four left.

Ok, so that could have been cut to two ... didn't Brienne unseat Loras after he had unseated her?

Gwendoline Christie is really into it. I am glad Geroge's uneven cartoonish description of Brienne was not used. In SoS Jamie is always calling her homely , and by damn, Gwen did look that way last night (and she's and attractive lady).

I am glad she is using her own voice and not trying to pitch a deeper one, tho I don't think, could be wrong, Geroge never describes Brienne's voice.

One thing missed , maybe it was there, the insults hurled at Brienne were not in the script last night, expected at least one.

When she flipped up Loras' visor it was just exactly as I had imagined. The whole melee wasnt necessary. I understand some grand battle scenes are coming up. I understand someone emailed Ms Christie's agent to suggest her for the role and that she REALLY prepared for both audition and part. And she cried when she had to cut her hair. She is perfect. I think they judge the attraction of women pretty harshly and just her height, build, body language, and plain undecorated face is enough.

I wish the colors were brighter.

Brienne lost her morningstar but grabbed Loras' sword hilt and they both landed on the ground, Brienne on top and the more conscious, in the book. In the show, she did land on top of him in the same way IIRC but no horses involved.

Eh. I thought the directing of the Tyrion + Pycelle/Varys/LF scene was great. As was how they shot Theon burning the letter and then his baptism.

Yeah, those were great scenes too. I meant in the 3rd episode there is some fine direction plus the intact and more clearly developed storylines.

In the first two episodes there were some WOW-moments, where it felt more like cinema on the big screen than a TV show.

But that could have been my subjective perception, due to the waiting for the second season and the high expectations.

However, I rated the third episode the highest so far. It was great :)

I gave it a solid 9.

Drowning Theon could have been a great cliffhanger but Im glad they didnt do it. A big cliche after last week.

Yorin explaining to Arya how he said the killer of his brothers name every night was chilling and a nice explanation for her doing it even though it was absent in the books. Seemed to me Yorin took 8 soldiers with him but others have said less, 4 in the book I believe..

Brienne is above average as was Maergery. I like that twist (her and the plot). Theons sister still hasnt won me over, doubt she will but just a minor point. Balon was again excellent. Great cinematograpy in the note burning/transition/annointment ceremony.

Im sure Sams Mothers ivory thimble is going to reappear, hopefully in a good way.

Por Lommy, no luck for that boy. Hope they take his killer out just as cruely.

"No goats here, halfman." " Well, make do."

6/10. I liked Brienne. Shae + Sansa scene felt a bit pointless. I hoped they'd go through with Theon's drowning - disappointed because it could have been so much more awesome. Margaery... not really sure. I felt like she should have been classier than suggesting a threesome with her brother. Yoren's monologue + death looked silly to me. Why not make him intelligent, like in the book, and fight an actual battle with some hope of winning, rather than go out alone and die like a moron?

She's like that in the book, though. She's nothing but a spoiled whore. Plain and simple. And Tyrion is stupid enough to have genuine feelings for her.

You really think TV Shae and the book version act exactly the same? Sure maybe in the very end when Tyrion is on trial, but when she is with Tyrion in book 2? She acts like he is the love of her life, constantly flirts with him and makes him feel like she genuinely wants to be with him. Yes she has some complaints, but over all she always manages to frame those complaints as if they are made because she wants to spend more time with him. Sure she might be fake, but she makes herself pleasant for him to be around.

Sure Tyrion has the part of him that knows that she just loves his money, but the book version of Shae does every thing in her power to make Tyrion forget that when they are together. So the question is why would TV Tyrion like TV Shae in the first place? Ros was more pleasant to him, and there are plenty of good looking whores in the TV King's Landing that could accomodate him. Prior to Tyrion's, what on TV appears to be random, decision to be monogomous with TV Shae, he was hooking up with multiple whores at the same time. The monogomy decision looking even more random with TV Shae being off putting and rude from the first time they met. In the books the readers might not buy into Shae's act, but one can understand why the totally alone Tyrion, who has no one who cares about him or wants to be with him might. TV Shae, not so much. TV Shae acts like she needs to attend Littlefinger's whore 101 monologue.

If Shae were a more significant character in the books I'd be fairly upset. As it is, I'm just annoyed. And I say this not because I am a purist who can't stand any change from the book, it is because the story line doesn't make sense within the TV show. As Tadco26 said, why would Tyrion fall for her? She seems mean, abrasive, and annoying. I don't think I've seen any affection between them really.

An off-topic comment...Why are new topics on the upcoming episode not allowed? I tried creating one a couple days ago, but it appears not to have been approved yet/ever. Has there been some discussion about the plan on this that I haven't heard? I want to speculate about the upcoming episode, but there doesn't appear to be a place to do that.

Yoren's monologue + death looked silly to me. Why not make him intelligent, like in the book, and fight an actual battle with some hope of winning, rather than go out alone and die like a moron?

Because building a walled-holdfast, a barn, an escape tunnel, and an abandoned village, just to destroy them like in the book, eats-up budget $$$ better saved for the Battle of the Blackwater. Even just having a longer fight, involving more people, inevitably costs more. You're asking for the producers to do things they can't, then rating the episode a 6 -- docking them for things they have little or no real control over.

Edited by J.S. Crews

Gave it an 8.5. It seems like episode 3 ends season two's exposition of new characters and old plot lines. It can only get better from here.

I would also like to put a word in for the series. Unless some heretical deviation from the source material occurs I'd rather prefer to discuss the series on its own merits. That is without comparison to the books. Otherwise its just seems like a pissing contest.

You really think TV Shae and the book version act exactly the same? Sure maybe in the very end when Tyrion is on trial, but when she is with Tyrion in book 2? She acts like he is the love of her life, constantly flirts with him and makes him feel like she genuinely wants to be with him. Yes she has some complaints, but over all she always manages to frame those complaints as if they are made because she wants to spend more time with him. Sure she might be fake, but she makes herself pleasant for him to be around.

Sure Tyrion has the part of him that knows that she just loves his money, but the book version of Shae does every thing in her power to make Tyrion forget that when they are together. So the question is why would TV Tyrion like TV Shae in the first place? Ros was more pleasant to him, and there are plenty of good looking whores in the TV King's Landing that could accomodate him. Prior to Tyrion's, what on TV appears to be random, decision to be monogomous with TV Shae, he was hooking up with multiple whores at the same time. The monogomy decision looking even more random with TV Shae being off putting and rude from the first time they met. In the books the readers might not buy into Shae's act, but one can understand why the totally alone Tyrion, who has no one who cares about him or wants to be with him might. TV Shae, not so much. TV Shae acts like she needs to attend Littlefinger's whore 101 monologue.

I think they are in terms of capturing the essence of Shae. We only see Shae in the books through Tyrion's rose-colored glasses. The times she make him (and one could argue the reader) believe she genuinely cares for him is when they are having sex. We haven't had any Shae-Tyrion sex scenes (I daresay some here are glad for that) so I think that's what is missing from their relationship. I agree they haven't really played up how much she uses him as much as in the books but at the core, Shae is nothing more than a bratty, spoiled whore.

I would also like to put a word in for the series. Unless some heretical deviation from the source material occurs I'd rather prefer to discuss the series on its own merits. That is without comparison to the books. Otherwise its just seems like a pissing contest.

I think it's practically impossible for those of us who are huge fans of the books to completely set aside what we already know about GRRM's incredible story and what we like about the adaptation, don't like, what is left out, etc. of the t.v. series. I love the books (I'm on my 6th reading) but I also love the series and understand why some changes had to be made (and don't quite understand others...oh well!) If there is something that has significantly changed, I'm giving B&W and HBO my trust that there is a good reason, even though I may not see it at the moment. For those who say that we should set aside the books and look at the series on its own merits...please understand that it is extremely difficult for us. So give us a little break, please. It is a world we have loved, lived with, and cherished for many years and this experience cannot be totally ignored. I do think HBO is doing a fantastic job bringing this series to life for all of us, readers and non-readers alike. And for those of you who haven't read the books...do! You won't regret it.

I think it's practically impossible for those of us who are huge fans of the books to completely set aside what we already know about GRRM's incredible story and what we like about the adaptation, don't like, what is left out, etc. of the t.v. series. I love the books (I'm on my 6th reading) but I also love the series and understand why some changes had to be made (and don't quite understand others...oh well!) If there is something that has significantly changed, I'm giving B&W and HBO my trust that there is a good reason, even though I may not see it at the moment. For those who say that we should set aside the books and look at the series on its own merits...please understand that it is extremely difficult for us. So give us a little break, please. It is a world we have loved, lived with, and cherished for many years and this experience cannot be totally ignored. I do think HBO is doing a fantastic job bringing this series to life for all of us, readers and non-readers alike. And for those of you who haven't read the books...do! You won't regret it.

I understand everyone has an emotional investment in the books. After all each of the 5 books are at least 800 pages in length. That's over 40,000 of pages of a series that is not yet finished and a commitment that last longer than some relationships. No wonder we all love the books. I haven't reread them yet but I do go back to spot read to brush up on things I missed (and I missed a lot).

My point being the books and HBO series are different in that the series moves along much faster than the book for obvious reasons. I find it harder to enjoy the series if you are comparing the two accounting the differences. Names have been change for some characters (i.e. Yara, not much of a big deal). Some characters have been eliminated and/or roles have been melded into one character (Bronn, again, not much of a big deal).

I'm just saying for us who have read the books, even though we ultimately know where the story is going, we should keep an open mind and enjoy the season with out being so critical.

Edited by A Murder of Ravens

Just when I was starting to get worried about this season, episode 3 won me back. I'd rate it 9.5. It was outstanding, easily the best of season 2 so far IMO, and better than almost all of the first season. I love the way that it stuck so close to the spirit of the book while simultaneously making significant changes (e.g. compressing about 5 Arya chapters into one brilliant scene). They even redeemed some of episode 2 by taking the opportunity to better explain Yara's motivation in her ride with Theon. I think the thing that made this episode so great is that the individual scenes were longer. The disjointedness of the first 2 episodes wasn't an issue here.

I'm very much looking forward to episode 4- maybe they'll finally do justice to Stannis & Davos .

I'm just saying for us who have read the books, even though we ultimately know where the story is going, we should keep an open mind and enjoy the season with out being so critical.

Why? There are a lot of varying reasons people have enjoyed the books - everyone (I believe) knows that it is not going to be scene for scene, word for word, but to just whitewash what has been read and hand wave away things that do concern fans I think is a disservice. While I have never chatted with them directly, I believe D&D do still visit the forums - and if they do i think they will see valuable feedback. We are the customer - someone said the series isn't being made for me, and they were wrong. it is being made for me, and you, Ran and the other posters here, the fans that don't post here and the people that haven't ever even seen the books. But if the producers can get voice of the customer and see what their audience sees as working, not working, etc then they should take it into consideration.

As far as the episode...strongest of the season so far; the scenes for the NW recruits were well done, it might be a little bit of a stretch to truly believe that Lorch will believe the scrawny kid with greenhands is actually a blacksmith but overall I liked how they condensed the fight, chase and capture. Another small weakness with that scene was Lorch's sword after he pulled it out of Yorens back.

I think the resolution to the Craster/Jon cliffhanger was weak. I've said enough on that in other threads. Same for Sansa/Shae.

The whole tourney/brienne/renly & Catelyn was done well. It seemed they then realized they didn't have a scene with breasts in it and made one. I like the change to Marg in showing that she is a player in the game - we kind of get that from the books after a while, but without the full time to see what she does, speeding it up makes sense.

Over all an 8, but at least the momentum is swinging back.

Everyone keeps mentioning Theon's drowing and being disappointed... But I thought he got batisped the exact same way in book 2? Or did I think I read that wrong or something? If thats the case the nitpickers who docked points should quit GoT.

Edited by Michaelj