How would you rate episode 203?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I think they are in terms of capturing the essence of Shae. We only see Shae in the books through Tyrion's rose-colored glasses. The times she make him (and one could argue the reader) believe she genuinely cares for him is when they are having sex. We haven't had any Shae-Tyrion sex scenes (I daresay some here are glad for that) so I think that's what is missing from their relationship. I agree they haven't really played up how much she uses him as much as in the books but at the core, Shae is nothing more than a bratty, spoiled whore.

I have to disagree. Her behavior in the books is the core of why Tyrion falls for her, rose colored glasses or not. We need to see her thru those rose colored glasses, or question why does he put up with her over some other more pleasant whore like Ros? Rose colored glasses implies that her behavior towards Tyrion was really poor, but he chose to over look it. That's not what we saw at all though. That may have been who she was on the inside, but she hid it well.

Her behavior in the show is cold, distant and generally rude. Now if she was a noble or someone Tyrion was courting in a more traditional modern day sense then perhaps he would put up with her behavior because he thinks he isn't likely to get anyone as attractive any where else because he is a dwarf... But he is paying her, and has had multiple whores of similar attractiveness at the same time... The idea she treats him poorly as if she is doing him a favor spending time with him, rather than getting paid, actually makes her look stupid in comparison to book Shae, who manipulates Tyrion with sex. It makes the entire idea of Tyrion randomly deciding to be monogomous with her at great risk to himself make no sense at all in the show. Realistically if a camp follower whore like TV Shae behaved the way that she does she would be lucky to be alive and would be highly likely to end up like Pia with her nose broken and missing some teeth if she made a habbit of talking back to her customers in the manner she has to Tyrion on a regular basis.

I rather enjoyed the third episode! So far its the strongest of the first three. I took notice of the differences between it and the book, but I was satisfied overall with the main story being told. The Varys character is so good! And the new Yara is growing on me. At first I didn't think she'd work as Theon's sister, but she looks promising. I especially liked the scene where Theon yells back at his father that he let "them" take him...his only remaining boy. It was powerful!

9/10 top notch television

Hey guys thanks for having me,

First great episode of the season, wonderfully acted, directed and scored,

Peter Dinklage and Maisie Williams again steal the show and deserve an emmy nomination for sure.

Also a special mention for Sophie Turner who played the distressed and abused Sansa very well.

Looking forward to getting to the FOTFM with Jon, aswell as Qarth.

I think it's practically impossible for those of us who are huge fans of the books to completely set aside what we already know about GRRM's incredible story and what we like about the adaptation, don't like, what is left out, etc. of the t.v. series. I love the books (I'm on my 6th reading) but I also love the series and understand why some changes had to be made (and don't quite understand others...oh well!) If there is something that has significantly changed, I'm giving B&W and HBO my trust that there is a good reason, even though I may not see it at the moment. For those who say that we should set aside the books and look at the series on its own merits...please understand that it is extremely difficult for us. So give us a little break, please. It is a world we have loved, lived with, and cherished for many years and this experience cannot be totally ignored. I do think HBO is doing a fantastic job bringing this series to life for all of us, readers and non-readers alike. And for those of you who haven't read the books...do! You won't regret it.

You raise a good point. But, your attitude is not the attitude that those of us annoyed with book-purists are annoyed by (well, me anyway--I can't speak for everyone). You "trust that there is a good reason" and "understand why some changes had to be made". This is very different from voting 5 for the episode because of a few changes.

Just one major thing missing: The smile of Brienne when she is granted a place in the Kingsguard. this was probably on purpose bc the actress had read the books perhaps to make Brienne serious from Day 1 but I think the series could have survived a Brienne smile.

Marie

I liked this episode, 8, having given #2 only 3 or 4. I like what they are doing with the story.

Particular positives;

Iron Islands. Loved Theon turning things round on Balon. Emphasised the hypocrisy. Missed the actual drowning in the 'baptism' scene though. I felt this added more of an edge to the drowned god religion and it's priests.

Tyrion scenes were great.

Liked the Yoren backstory. Shame to lose the character.

Enjoyed the Sansa scene, even though she is one of my least favorite characters.

Dislikes;

Renly sex scenes. It was useful characterisation of the Tyrells and their cause, but still over sexing things if you ask me. Perhaps could have been cut in half.

Didn't like Shae at all. Found her whiney and unrealistic (I know it's fantasy, but believability is key aspect).

I'm ok with Brienne and Yarra. Not exactly ringing endorsements, but thought I'd say so given the number of negative comments.

I rather enjoyed the third episode! So far its the strongest of the first three. I took notice of the differences between it and the book, but I was satisfied overall with the main story being told. The Varys character is so good! And the new Yara is growing on me. At first I didn't think she'd work as Theon's sister, but she looks promising. I especially liked the scene where Theon yells back at his father that he let "them" take him...his only remaining boy. It was powerful!

Alfie Allen is doing great this year . . . it shows what GRRM didn't really develop in ACOK . . Theon's feelings of rejection . .. good detail in DWD though.

Drowning has happened, didnt happen to Theon at that point in the book. Or at any point. Maybe when he was younger or maybe he got one of the less traumatic baptisms. It was made clear that not everyone baptized into the faith was actually drowned, espec youngsters.

Marie

Alfie Allen is doing great this year . . . it shows what GRRM didn't really develop in ACOK . . Theon's feelings of rejection . .. good detail in DWD though.

Oh yeah - he looked like the total puss he was at Winterfell but on Pyke at the end he looked like a stone hard bamf.

A huge improvement since last two episodes - I've gave it a solid 9. Alfie Allen done a great job portraying Theon - I think, he'll be a Hell of a Reek, if they'll ever make ADWD season of the series. I loved all of the Tyrion's appearances in this episode - the Myrsella exchange plot and the assault on Pycelle. Raff the Sweatling looks a bit different from how I have imagined him, but he's done his part of killing of Lommy Greenhands proper. The only character that was a bit disappointing for me in this episode, was Renly - his acting at a tourney was kind of anemic. But Brienne was priceless and it made up for this minor flow.

YARR!

God, this episode actually made me love Theon. Impossible. Had goosebumps all through the ironborn scenes. How he opposes his father, the slap, the ritual, his stone-hard face after he had been baptized, the burning letter... awesome. Stunning. Unexpected.

Yoren! I always loved the character and cheered for the fact that he wasn't just randomly killed off, but died as a hero. Anti-hero, but still...

Also loved the scene with Margaery and Renly. I always had the feeling she wasn't the innocent little fluff bunny.

Sansa and Shae. Hilarious. Worlds collide.

10 out of 10. Well, actually 12 out of 10, but the poll was broken. :-P

More interesting than the previous two episodes, but something was still missing compared to Season 1...probably action scenes. The ending was good though.

Renly looked so disgusted when Marjorie tried to make a move on him...I found that hilarious.

Varys and Tyrion were excellent as always. I want more scenes with two of them together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...