[Book Spoilers] Is Brienne Ugly Enough? How was she?

I thought she looked like a giant albino Macaulay Culkin :D Also I am a little sad they don't pronounce her name Bry-een, that's the way Dotrice used to say it and I've always read it like that.

btw, is Dotrice still playing a pyromancer this season?

Brienne is spot on casting.

She looks every bit the part of the giant female knight who is hopelessly enamoured with Renly Baratheon.

I am curious how her on screen chemistry will work out with Jamie Lannister.

Dotrice is cast as a pyromancer??? Seriously???

She was exactly as I'd pictured her. I also thought her awkward way of carrying herself was perfect as well.

I was watching with a few people who've not read the books (one who'd never seen the show before), and they were very surprised when it was revealed she was a she.

I wonder if her "ugliness" in the books had more to do with her being described from somebody else's perspective. What I mean is, characters in the book have the preconceived notions of what a Lady should be, and since Brienne's whole person violates those assumptions, they have a more pronounced negative reaction to her.

My sister-in-law, with whom I was watching the episode, is over 6' tall and commented, "that would be me back then" (meaning the middle ages).

For all those wondering why Tyrion is not ugly enough, dont worry just read the books or wait for the conclusion of 'The Battle of Blackwater'; he will get uglier

As this is a book spoilers tagged thread, it is likely people reading this thread have read the books. Anyone not having read the books would have no reason to think Tyrion should be ugly. And if this weren't a book spoiler tagged thread, your comment would be a spoiler. And we have no idea if they will keep the part about him getting his nose cut off in or not.

Gwendoline is an amazing Brienne. She's definitely unattractive enough to be ridiculed for her looks by the men who get insecure because a woman is such a good warrior. If Brienne had been a normal, but unattractive, lady people wouldn't be making fun of her like that. It's all about her being masculine and the insecurity of men.

Gwen has also gone to great lengths to prepare herself for the role. Even getting a personal trainer to mold her body into looking more masculine and emphasizing the muscles that a medieval warrior would use.

You don't have to be a hottie to seduce men. For some of us, me for sure, it's far more about attitude than clothing and beauty. Whoever that actress is has swagger and confidence in spades. When I look at her I think She doesn't dress up because she doesn't give a shit what I think and doesn't need to prove it to me! :) Great casting.

I'll agree with the start of your paragraph and disagree with it's conclusion. You're right, attitude has at least as much to do with attractiveness and charm as looks. And this actress not only doesn't have the looks, she doesn't show me the toughness, the charisma or the humor of the reaver princess I read about in the book. She plays Asha as a smirking creep who fawns on her father whenever he's nearby, replacing the Asha character's strength and wit with a sneer worthy of Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter stories. So much of leadership is personal charisma. It was easy to believe that battle-hardened warriors would follow the young woman in the books. It's very hard to believe anyone would willingly follow the woman in the show. Bad casting, as has been the case for most of the characters IMHO.

Brienne seemed a bit overdone to me, the scene where she's walking with Caitlyn you could tell they were using camera tricks with her standing in front of her by quite a bit to make her look taller and bigger. The cheap camera tricks took away a bit for me.

Brienne seemed like one of the better casting decisions in the show to me. When the part calls for a woman as big as Brienne is, options are limited. And yet, the actress captures all of Brienne's stoic strength and lack of social skills. Hopefully in future episodes she'll also be able to convey how deeply Brienne is infatuated with Renly and how much she feels the scorn cast on her by the men whose world she wants to be a part of.

You don't have to be a hottie to seduce men. For some of us, me for sure, it's far more about attitude than clothing and beauty. Whoever that actress is has swagger and confidence in spades. When I look at her I think She doesn't dress up because she doesn't give a shit what I think and doesn't need to prove it to me! :) Great casting.

Brienne seemed a bit overdone to me, the scene where she's walking with Caitlyn you could tell they were using camera tricks with her standing in front of her by quite a bit to make her look taller and bigger. The cheap camera tricks took away a bit for me.

I understand the point you are making, but this isn't LoTR. This may have seemed like they are employing forced perspective, but it's the first time in either season that I can think of where they have had a shot like that.

They have not used one FP shot to show Tyrion being small... why would they start using it now to make Brienne look tall?

Brienne did say "Follow me Lady Stark" or something like that. Having just met Brienne, Cat had every right to hold off a bit and trail at a distance, like "Do I really want to be seen in the company of this behemoth of a woman?" The scene encouraged us to concentrate on Brienne, not the already familiar Cat.

Brienne has been my favourite character in the books since I first encountered her, and I, like many, was initially dubious whether GC could do justice to the role. My initial thoughts were that she was too pretty or too lithe.

Having watched the episode, I am thoroughly impressed with how Gwen handles the role. No, she isn't exactly how I pictured Brienne looking, but she acts perfectly. Every ounce of that woman is a rigid, awkward warrior and I'm actually relieved they didn't show her devotion to Renly as whimsical fangirling - it was never like that. I'm not sure Brienne knows how to act like that.

Having read this thread I can only say I am so grateful, as a fan of the character, that Gwendoline has put so much thought and effort into playing the role. All that training has really paid off; without even having many lines she's managed to shine as one of the better casting choices.

Thanks, Ms. Christie!

Does anyone have a bearing on the books word-for-word description on her looks?

The thing is, across the books George is not consistent in his physical description of her.

In SoS we keep getting Jamie mostly saying she is homely, sometimes he says she is ugly, but we don't get a description of what Jamie thinks 'ugly' is.

As someone noted the producers had an impossible task to find a actress for that part, finding a 6 f 3in Gwen was a bit of a fluke. Also in order to not make a visual distraction they just made her homely.

It's the inner Brienne that counts more that the outward physical one anyway.

Archived