[Book spoilers] The Others and other things that don't add up

Whether Jon thinks it's Others or Wights in the book, he still doesn't mention it to Mormont. It's a vital piece of information that gets lost. Jon knows something supernatural is actually taking the babies and nobody else in the NW does.

The show is better since Jon isn't really sure what he saw.

Well, we were shown that Mormont knew Craster was abandoning his newborn sons in the forest. But Mormont has never actually seen an Other and doesn't know they exist - neither does Jon or any other living member of the Night's Watch at this point. The Night's Watch, along with the rest of the realm, believes the Others to be mythical.

Ah, but as he hinted in the episode, Mormont does know about White Walkers as revealed in AGoT Tyrion:3:

"I tell you my lord, the darkness is coming. There are wild things in the woods, direwolves and mammoths, and snow bears the size of aurochs, I have seen darker shapes in my dreams"

"In your dreams," Tyrion echoed, thinking how badly he needed another strong drink.

Mormont was deaf to the edge in his voice. "The fisherfolk near Eastwatch have glimpsed white walkers on the shore."

This time Tyrion could not hold his tongue. "The fisherfolk of Lannisport often glimpse merlings."

"Denys Mallister writes that the mountain people are moving south, slipping past the Shadow Tower in numbers greater than before. They are running, my lord... but running from what?" Lord Mormont moved to the window and stared out into the night. "These are old bones, Lannister, but they have never felt a chill like this. Tell the king what I say, I pray you. Winter is coming, and when the Long Night falls, only the Nights Watch will stand between the realm and the darkness that sweeps from the north."

Ah, but as he hinted in the episode, Mormont does know about White Walkers as revealed in AGoT Tyrion:3:

"I tell you my lord, the darkness is coming. There are wild things in the woods, direwolves and mammoths, and snow bears the size of aurochs, I have seen darker shapes in my dreams"

"In your dreams," Tyrion echoed, thinking how badly he needed another strong drink.

Mormont was deaf to the edge in his voice. "The fisherfolk near Eastwatch have glimpsed white walkers on the shore."

This time Tyrion could not hold his tongue. "The fisherfolk of Lannisport often glimpse merlings."

"Denys Mallister writes that the mountain people are moving south, slipping past the Shadow Tower in numbers greater than before. They are running, my lord... but running from what?" Lord Mormont moved to the window and stared out into the night. "These are old bones, Lannister, but they have never felt a chill like this. Tell the king what I say, I pray you. Winter is coming, and when the Long Night falls, only the Nights Watch will stand between the realm and the darkness that sweeps from the north."

Thanks for quoting the book, I always appreciate when we can compare written text from Martin vs. changes or hints in the series. While the two are distinctly different and I am no way a book purist who believes the HBO show should match exactly (its not even logistically or financially possible) - I do appreciate finding common themes from the book to the show that while played out differently, still match the essential plot.

I agree that Mormont is probably 99% certain the White Walkers are awake again even if he hasn't personally seen one at this point. There's been plenty of evidence leadiing up to it. But the point of contention many keep arguing is whether or not Mormont knew Craster was giving his baby sons to the Others or someone else, or he didn't know at all about it. In the series, though Jon never says "White Walker" - its implied and Mormont's response stating the wildlings 'serve crueler gods' is also implying the Others.

I think the message delivered in the show is fairly clear - Mormont's known about the sacrifices Craster does and he has turned a blind eye to it either out of necessity or because the Night's Watch has not previously concerned itself with the practices or habits of any wildlings unless its to defend the wall from attacks.

Mormont knows its an Other. Jon tells him that he saw a "thing" taking the baby and Mormont says "whatever it was, im sure you´ll see it again" so definitely Mormont knows its not a "god offering", its an offering to the Others.

That doesn't mean he knows it's a White Walker or a wight. North of the wall has all sorts of weird creatures. That's a logical fallacy, like saying, "If it isn't a fox, then it must be a chupacabra!"

Anyway, the main purpose of the Night's Watch is to protect the realm from White Walkers. With that in mind, plus the fact that they just got attacked by two wights, it's unlikely Mormont would be so casual about it. Those things are the reason they went on the mass ranging in the first place.

Archived