DC BwB: DC United match September 15 vs New England

Inigima

How old is Bale? I thought the Oly teams were supposed to be all U-23 or U-25 or something, with 3 veterans (who will probably be Beckham, Scholes, someone else) no?

ETA: Ah, there's a second page. Cunning.

Um, moderate threadjack, but if anyone's interested, the guy who wrote the ASOIAF/EPL translator Xray linked to (Roger Bennett) does a weekly podcast with another English dude (Michael Davies) that gets posted on grantland.com as well; it's a very EPL-centric podcast, though they do discuss international football and some big events in other leagues- but it's aimed at newer and American fans. It's a fun listen, even if only for Bennett's Merseyside accent.

I have a very deep affection for Michael Davies and his World Cup reports for ESPN. Like his ranking of English players by pants length. Or when they tested the Jabulani for South Africa.

As for Bale, the age cutoff is 24 I guess. MC looked it up while I was reading an article in The Guardian about Sir Alex bitching about this summer's soccer situation.

So here's the thing I realized last night, after purchasing the tickets. We will have no idea what sort of lineups either team will be sending to 'merica for their friendly tour until very close to the games. Why? Euro 2012 and the London Olympics. For example, will Gareth Bale be with the Spurs in the States or Great Britain in the Olympics? There's an overlap there with Olympic soccer starting the last week of July. All we know for certain is that the FA has stated that any players that play for England in the Euro (which won't affect Bale) will not be eligible for the Olympics. So we won't know who is on the Euro teams til next month. And then the Olympics later than that. Not that any of this is super relevant, but some players you might want to see may not be coming over.

That's always true of preseason friendlies anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

They're totally lying about Spurs having won a European Cup in that advert by the way, the difference between the European Cup and the Cup Winners Cup is serious business damn it!

Interested in the DC United game, but it's hard to plan that far in advance. Are you getting tix now? or is this something we can pencil in and pull the trigger on in a few months?

Also, work ate my life last year, but things have calmed down, so I'm gonna keep a closer eye on the boards. It's been a while since I've seen some of you.

• 2 months later...

mack and ini:

i am seeing that the stadium opens at 11:00am saturday. seeing warmups and getting some pictures could be cool. what time do you guys want to meet? i am thinking we meet at the stadium.

you both have my phone number. respond here or text me.

Chef, if that's how you want to do it, I'll go along and do my best to arrive when you do. I can ride the train right to M&T Bank and text you to find you from there. I wouldn't mind drinking a couple beers before they get to stadium prices, but it's your show. We can always make up for it if we are hanging around between games.

I am sure that the O's game will not be a sellout. I would suspect we can buy tickets as we pass by after footie if we want to do that. Even nosebleeds will probably be $18 apiece though (if it's a "prime game", which I think most Saturday games are, even though it's Oakland - it'll be $12 if non-prime) - so if you want to peruse Stubhub or something like that, there may well be a better deal for some tix that are a little more costly but also better seats guaranteed.

I feel pretty good about our chances of executing what I like to call the self-upgrade ticket plan, which is to say sit anywhere there are empty seats and move if the people who really have those tickets come along and then you say "Oops, sorry, wrong section" and go find other empty seats.

I am indeed in for baseball as well. I bought tickets at game time for the last time we played Oakland, I was buying for a specific section though. If we don't care about what seats we get it should be fine.

I can meet wherever and whenever, I cleared my schedule for the day. Does anywhere at the harbor do a good brunch?

gentlemen,

my wife and i decided to keep things rather simple. we bought some tickets for the game. we got some really great box seats. you each owe us $200.00.

ok, not true.

got some $20 tix in section 85 row six out on the 3rd base line.

as far as brunch. let me take a look.

we are arriving about 10:00am that day at our hotel. a little brunch before the match would be great.

I will probably pass on the brunch - just not really an eat heavy in the morning person. If you let me know when you figure to be at the stadium, I'll aim to be getting off the light rail five minutes before that.

$20 for six rows back in section 85 is a good price. 85 is under an awning, but six rows back shouldn't be far enough to obstruct the view at all. It is, on the other hand, far enough back that on the off chance of rain, we would stay dry. We can survey the lower sections and move up to empties in later innings if it strikes our fancy.

So, should I go online tonight and try to get tickets next to Merc Chef? I'm interested in brunch as well. Ini and Raids can vouch for my real life elite laser tag skills.

angeleyes:

my understanding regarding the soccer match is that few tickets are available.

as far as the baseball game you know what row we are in. get a ticket, come along.

brunch, i had a reservation for four. i dropped it to three today when mack bowed out. if you are truly interested in having brunch with strangers let me know and i will up the reservation once more.

Archived