[Book Spoilers] Varys continues to be outstanding and Conleth Hill is just perfect.

The guy does an incredible job and really does become the role. I also think the actors name is really cool/bizarre and sounds just like a name you would hear in the books. What a trip it would be if at the end of the series they exposed the true identity of Varys and used the actors name for Varys' true identity. That name just fits.

A bit off topic but I noticed someone mention all the cheek powder and makeup he wears in the book. This might be wrong, but I always got the feeling that all that makup is what made him look so soft and baby faced, and underneath he was very rough faced and scarred. Thats how he could change his appearance so easily into a rough stubbly and scarred goaler in the dungeon, all he did was wash the makeup off and not shave that morning. Of course he couldn't grow stubble on his face at all if he was castrated as a child, so that opens a whole other can of worms. Since the show seems to cover details not given in the books, maybe we will get some additional insight into the true nature of Varys as the seasons pan out.

In the books I always respected Varys but he irked me with his "titter"ing. Maybe I'm just not used to that word. But yeah, fantastic in the show and I'm glad everyone can agree on that.

Books: LF>Varys. Show: Varys>LF.

I also loved how he didn't believe Tyrion for one second about sending Myrcella to marry Theon.

It gladdens my heart to see such a champion getting some recognition :cool4:

He really is portraying varys well. Some of my favorite parts of last season were the conversations he had with littlefinger.

In the books I always respected Varys but he irked me with his "titter"ing. Maybe I'm just not used to that word. But yeah, fantastic in the show and I'm glad everyone can agree on that.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think Conleth's portrayal has given a dignity to Varys that is not always present in the books.

I also loved how he didn't believe Tyrion for one second about sending Myrcella to marry Theon.

That little mouth twitch was stunning. He is a great actor. I love him to bits.

I agree, he's very good. I feel like I tend to forget him because he does his role so perfectly you don't really reflect over the fact that he's there. It doesn't feel like he's an actor in a tv-show, he IS Varys.

He's definitely one of the best casting choices. One thing I kind of miss is that he doesn't seem to play dress-up as much in the show, but aside from that the interpretation is great. Seriously when Tyrion was talking about giving Myrcella to the Greyjoys you could see it on his face he wasn't buying the story XD

Also, his interaction with Tyrion is pure gold.

His performance is even more reamrkable when you do a Google Picture search for him ... in almost every picture he has a thick mop of longish salt-and-pepper hair and a great bushy mustache. How anyone on the casting team could spot "Varys" underneath that exterior is beyond me.

I think he is doing a great job with it, ironically, I think the scene with Tyrion and Shae was one of his weaker ones as it appeared he was trying to be Varys, rather than just letting it come out. Just a little forced, but overall a great job of casting & acting.

I agree, and what was with the bit about "fish pie"? That's like clubbing us over the head and saying, "See?! He's gay, aren't we so clever for simply alluding to it?"

Archived