Why is it that not many girls like Fantasy?

rumple9

"Everyone seems to have seen it"

Last ratings:

3.759 million viewers 1.9 18-49

3.766 million viewers 1.8 18-49

Fuck me bloody sideways.

Are you serious?

Look up hyperbole and exaggeration please, I have to go bang my head against a concrete wall.

Tempted to start a thread called "Why do the bitches want to crush the balls of fantasy"

(These posts are from a merged thread titled "Why do women hate fantasy". I'm going for a natural progression.)

Why are most Twilight-readers female? I wonder...

But seriously: knights, swords, dragons, (lots of) violence... The topics of fantasy are often more appealing to men than they are to many women. Of course, there are loads of female fantasy-fans as well, but Science Fiction and Fantasy have always been genres preferred by men.

But seriously: knights, swords, dragons, (lots of) violence... The topics of fantasy are often more appealing to men than they are to many women. Of course, there are loads of female fantasy-fans as well, but Science Fiction and Fantasy have always been genres preferred by men.

Hey, I happen to like knight, swords, dragons, and a reasonable amount of violence :P

And I like Science-Fiction. In fact, I think that in a lot of sci-fi, there's more gender equality than in fantasy, as there's not that much heavy physical labour, and men at sopme point have noticed that women can do physics and maths too. At least in recent stuff. Not counting Fiasco by Stanislas Lem. I'm still convinced that the situation would not have gone that pear-shaped if they had had some women on board to clobber some sense into them.

Tentatively jumping into this thread as a new person. Here goes...

I am a 25 year old female. I've loved fantasy since I was very young when my mum told my sister and I about The Hobbit and LOTR. After those I moved onto David Eddings. It never bothered me that many of the characters were male. There was always at least one strong female character. In any book where there wasn't any decent female characters, it never struck me as an issue since I always thought if the characters are written well enough, it shouldn't matter which gender they are, as long as the reader (whichever gender they may be) can relate to that character. ASOIAF has a lot of strong female characters which may attract women looking to read about them, but I've always found myself drawn to Sansa in the books,despite the fact she seems less of a role model as such than a character like Arya. It is never the characters which draw me to fantasy. I tried the Twilight books, and would've enjoyed them if I was a very young teenager, but fantasy for me, like other posters have mentioned, is about the escapism. I can relate to the characters and the problems they face, but it is so far removed from reality, it is more pleasurable to find myself lost in the books than it would be if I were reading a romance or adventure novel set in a more realistic setting.

Plus, what modern woman of any age wouldn't enjoy reading the filthy exploits in ASOIAF, the swearing and the violence? It takes you back to the age of chivalry and makes you wish that there were gents like Jaime and Tyrion about now. :)

It takes you back to the age of chivalry and makes you wish that there were gents like Jaime and Tyrion about now. :)

Sadly they outlawed pushing 6-year-olds from towers, incest, strangling women, murdering your father. I admit that giving your wife to a barracks full of guards for silver stags each might still be legal, if consent is proven :).

Because Twilight is a romance with Vampires, but it's more hyped than Mills & Boon so more buy it. And it has a movie made from it with a "hot guy" playing the lead.

And read chapter 3 (I think it is) and see the sucker punch Stephanie Meyer lays down. It plays totally into all the insecure teenage girls out there, and a lot of people who have been insecure teenage girls. It's 100% "the special guy understands me without my having to explain anything and I got picked above everyone despite being so average!". It's about as subtle as a grapple hook, but you know, it works!

It's 100% "the special guy understands me without my having to explain anything and I got picked above everyone despite being so average!". It's about as subtle as a grapple hook, but you know, it works!

Bella == Kvothe?

Again, I really think that this is a regional thing as well. I doubt there are as many fantasy/scifi readers in backwoods Arkansas as there are in New York City. And the same would probably be even moreso for girls.

That's true of reading for entertainment in general.

I'm confused why violence, knights and dragons wouldn't appeal to women. Even if you're going from a stupid sexist pov almost all the fairy tales and Disney movies with princesses have knights or dragons or violence. Why are those things things women don't like? (hint: they still are)

Archived