[Book Spoilers] Pre-episode discussion

Aegnor

I forgot the timeline, but doesn't that happen right before the Battle of Blackwater.

I forget too, but that sounds right. It's after Tyrion sends Tommen away right, but that hasn't happened in the show. I don't know, they're sort of muddling the timeline around a bit and it's confusing me. I need a reread.

I get that they have to change some things/leave stuff out to make it work for a TV show, but stuff like this supposedly horrible scene with Joff makes me think they're just doing it for shock value, which I'd really rather they didn't. So I hope it has a narrative purpose, even if it is an awful thing to watch. Otherwise I think they may lose some viewers over it.

A lot of Sandor was cut in the first season. I hope they give him more this season. I like the Sandor/Sansa dynamic and I think it makes both characters more interesting. We got a small taste in "Fire and Blood" from the last season. I wants more, dammit!

There is a new Gregor?!

Yes, Conan Stevens was replaced . We don't really know why, but Conan wrote on his site that HBO wanted to go "in a different direction". Maybe it was due to scheduling conflicts (as he's been shooting The Hobbit in NZ) or maybe HBO didn't think he had the acting chops for meatier scenes. Conan is a member of these forums, so maybe he'll be back one day and tell us what happened in more detail. I'm definitely sad about him not playing Gregor anymore. He was perfect.

The episode doesn't really give the Mountain anything to do. There's nothing there to "impress" anyone with, except that he's very tall (he's taller than Conan Stevens, actually, but of course Ian Whyte is rather a lot leaner... which they deal with with similar heavy padding as they did with Stevens, using bulky armor to really make him look broader).

The Mountain is fine. They chose not to linger on him or really paint him as anything other than an arbitrary deliverer of pain and death.

He also played a WW in season 2 episode 1 :)

Wonder if he'll continue in dual roles. *rushes into make-up room, dons padding, helmet, rushes onto set, slashes, grunts, beheads, grunts.* *rushes back to make-up, flings off helmet, padding, plugs in glowing blue eyes, lurches thru the woods* *rushes back to make-up, dons padding, helmet, rushes onto set, slashes, grunts, beheads, grunts*

Poor guy, I feel exhausted for him!

Yes, Conan Stevens was replaced . We don't really know why, but Conan wrote on his site that HBO wanted to go "in a different direction". Maybe it was due to scheduling conflicts (as he's been shooting The Hobbit in NZ) or maybe HBO didn't think he had the acting chops for meatier scenes. Conan is a member of these forums, so maybe he'll be back one day and tell us what happened in more detail. I'm definitely sad about him not playing Gregor anymore. He was perfect.

I remember reading the post, and it seemed more that the decision was more on Stevens end, than HBO's. He got the Hobbit part and didn't feel Gregor's part was big enough to turn down that. And with the cut they made with Arya's story line, that kind of makes sense. Lorch is the one that captures Arya, so that will significantly reduce what screen time he would have had.

Eck... I should tone it down a bit.

I was venting my anger in how some people don't seem to differentiate between show spoilers and book spoilers. There is another thread dedicated to talking about the leaked show plots and I personally would have much rather been surprised concerning the Ticklers appearance.

The Mountain is fine. They chose not to linger on him or really paint him as anything other than an arbitrary deliverer of pain and death.

Sounds fine to me. Unless I'm misremembering, that's pretty much all Gregor was in the books as well. I don't really see the big deal of recasting Gregor; he was in two scenes in all of season one, and had only one line where he yells "Sword". As long as they cast a guy that looks somewhat similar and is really big, it's not much of a loss to me.

Really looking forward to this episode. Last episode was clearly the best of hte season, adn I hope this one improves on it.

Eck... I should tone it down a bit.

I was venting my anger in how some people don't seem to differentiate between show spoilers and book spoilers. There is another thread dedicated to talking about the leaked show plots and I personally would have much rather been surprised concerning the Ticklers appearance.

You didn't need to look. There are spoiler tags. Then again, my curiosity got the better of me and it made me feel quite ill. I'm glad I know what is coming.

Is Dany gonna just walk into Qarth ?

The horse budget got that bad?

I wonder if they are going to show the scene where Dany remembers how to feed the dragons?

Coming into Qarth she had Drogon riding on her shoulder, we have seen very little of the dragons , so far, everybody wants to see the dragons!

Archived