[Book Spoilers] Pre-episode discussion

Aegnor

Is Dany gonna just walk into Qarth ?

The horse budget got that bad?

I wonder if they are going to show the scene where Dany remembers how to feed the dragons?

Coming into Qarth she had Drogon riding on her shoulder, we have seen very little of the dragons , so far, everybody wants to see the dragons!

Yes. It was a very quick snippet in the promo, but she was Drogon-less when she walks up to the Quartheen(if that is the same scene when they march out to meet her). I want more dragons, too. I, personally would like to see some of Dany bonding with her new "children". It doesn't have to be all the time. Just a scene, at least. I guess they have the whole season for that, though.

It looks like the return of Mel and Davos, as well. I'm looking forward to the Stannis and Renly meet up. I'm expecting some classic Stannis words!

"I did not come here to eat FRUIT."

"The boar got Robert and I got Margaery. You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid." - Renly

"In your bed, she's like to die that way." - Stannis

Okay, so, my guess for this episode, concerning the storylines that will be cut : Theon, Jon, Bran.

And I think we'll have a lot of Dany, Catelyn, Davos and Arya (speaking as PoV characters)...

And really looking forward for the discussions of the Unsullied on the TwoP forum !

I wonder if they are going to show the scene where Dany remembers how to feed the dragons?

They have prepared that scene in episode 1 so yes, I guess they will show it !

I was under the impression that they would condense the Lorch/Gregor characters as they seem to function pretty much the same. That seemed like an easy way to eliminate a character but not cut much from the story. Plus it would give more attention to Gregor which would help down the line.

I asked a few people the other day what they thought of the new series and I got different responses. A lot of people are saying that the show is not following the novel as closely as seen in the first season and that this is making it hard to watch. I think that the new series is really good because it doesnt follow the novel as closely, I think it makes it more exciting in a way to see what is going to be included. Does anyone think the same?

Same here! Even after 3 episodes new characters keep coming. The Tickler, the Qarthians and I hope we get to see Lord Tywin arriving on Harenhall. Although, I am dying to see Renly's death scene and that shadow-child. ;)

New here. Hello everyone! :)

Welcome, from a fellow newbie!

Roose was in the preview for the episode talking to Robb, he says, "5 Lannisters dead for every one of ours" as they are walking along a battlefield.

I doubt we will see Arstan, though that would be awesome. I bet we will meet the Qartheen crew, not Arstan and Strong Belwas.

I doubt we will see Arstan, though that would be awesome. I bet we will meet the Qartheen crew, not Arstan and Strong Belwas.

Does the Qartheen crew really meet the spoiler description of point eight, that Dany will receive help from an unexpected source? Do you really think that Xaro Xhoan Daxos or Quaithe would count for that? Who really helps her?

The HBO episode description reads:

Catelyn tries to save two kings from themselves; Tyrion practices coercion; Robb meets a foreigner; outside the gates of salvation,
Dany finds her ally
; Melisandre casts a large shadow on the Stormlands.

Who could that be? Who’s Dany’s ally whom she’s found?

And for that matter, who’s Robb’s “foreigner”?

I know it is Game of Thrones Sunday when.... I'm dreaming about what the next episode should be about. Except in my imagination it ended on a cliff hanger with Brienne attempting unsuccessfully to get Sansa out of King's Landing ;-)

I think I'm most looking forward to the Shadows scene. Also, do we meet Robb's Jeyne in this episode, or will it be the next one?

I was under the impression that they would condense the Lorch/Gregor characters as they seem to function pretty much the same. That seemed like an easy way to eliminate a character but not cut much from the story. Plus it would give more attention to Gregor which would help down the line.

All this biz about recasting Gregor for S2 puzzles me too, since that character hardly appears enough in CoK to worry about him. Figured Conan Stevens's film contract work would be finished before season 3 , unless he does not want to work on the show anymore ... tho I though he has said he did want back.

Does the Qartheen crew really meet the spoiler description of point eight, that Dany will receive help from an unexpected source? Do you really think that Xaro Xhoan Daxos or Quaithe would count for that? Who really helps her?

The HBO episode description reads:

Catelyn tries to save two kings from themselves; Tyrion practices coercion; Robb meets a foreigner; outside the gates of salvation,
Dany finds her ally
; Melisandre casts a large shadow on the Stormlands.

Who could that be? Who’s Dany’s ally whom she’s found?

And for that matter, who’s Robb’s “foreigner”?

I think her ally at that point could be considered Xaro. He helps her out, gives her shelter, food, clothes, water, etc. At this point, an ally could be anyone who helps her to escape from the red waste. I know his true motives are discovered later, but at first he helped Dany.

Arstan doesn't show up in the book until much later on, after the House of Undying and everything. I don't know how they will have him come before then.

As for Robb's "foreigner", I am not sure about that one. I know he meets Jeyne this episode, but she isn't a foreigner.

I heard this, too. People seem pretty disturbed, I don't understand why they're adding this? Maybe it's supposed to replace the scene where Cersei has Chataya tortured in front of Tyrion? If so, it seems like they're trying to make Cersei more likeable by dumping her horribleness on Joff (who is already awful anyway).

I assume you meant the Joff sex scene since the Tickler torture is from the books. Show Joff is older than book Joff, and Tyrion in the books was thinking about sneaking Joff off to a whore house to redirect his Sansa aggression (he figures at least part of the strip-Sansa scene is b/c Joff wanted to see some titties) and perhaps make him a little grateful to Tyrion. I'm OK with the writers taking this suggestion and making it happen.

ETA: OK, I'm a little confused. I assumed that we were talking about two different scenes: Joff does some whores, and the Tickler does some torture, not that Joff tortures some whores.

I asked a few people the other day what they thought of the new series and I got different responses. A lot of people are saying that the show is not following the novel as closely as seen in the first season and that this is making it hard to watch. I think that the new series is really good because it doesnt follow the novel as closely, I think it makes it more exciting in a way to see what is going to be included. Does anyone think the same?

Oh, I think (as an avid fan of the books) that the show is doing the story incredible justice. It shifts the narrative burden in the right places to account for the change in medium. There are small elements that were changed needlessly, but in the grand scheme these are quibbles.

Oh, I think (as an avid fan of the books) that the show is doing the story incredible justice. It shifts the narrative burden in the right places to account for the change in medium. There are small elements that were changed needlessly, but in the grand scheme these are quibbles.

I agree I think that because the first season followed the novel so closely that audiences were expecting much the same. I have to admit that I thought that there would be no detail spared, but as you say the details that are left out do not seem to interupt the whole narrative of the series. Would it be fair to say that we shouldnt regard the novels as closely in this series?

Archived