[Book Spoilers] Pre-episode discussion

Aegnor

Nobody ever said it in the novel or the series, and I doubt that the Dothraki would even consider it, but I always kind of assumed Dany was feeding the dragons horsemeat to keep them alive in the Red Waste. That's what I would have done, anyway, as long as horses are dropping dead anyway and the dragons are my only current hope of winning future battles.

Nobody ever said it in the novel or the series, and I doubt that the Dothraki would even consider it, but I always kind of assumed Dany was feeding the dragons horsemeat to keep them alive in the Red Waste. That's what I would have done, anyway, as long as horses are dropping dead anyway and the dragons are my only current hope of winning future battles.

They only eat cooked meat though. It doesn't seem like they were eating at all until she realised this while in Qarth I believe, and learned that 'dracarys' makes them breathe fire.

They only eat cooked meat though. It doesn't seem like they were eating at all until she realised this while in Qarth I believe, and learned that 'dracarys' makes them breathe fire.

She trained them to breathe fire at "Dracarys" :P.

But yes, it was around the same time I think.

She trained them to breathe fire at "Dracarys" :P.

But yes, it was around the same time I think.

Oh really? I thought it was another convenient thing her Targaryen blood gave her, knowledge of secret commands :lol: Ah, well, I hope they speed it up in the show, else those dragons will be dead soon :P

I don't understand why there needs to be some weird brothel sex scene with Joffrey. I just have this icky feeling that they are making him more and more despicable to kind of "off-set" Cersei's wickedness, thus making her more "likable" to the audience. That's just ridiculous, considering that Cersei is debatably even worse than the kid. Anyone that gives over people to Qyburn without the slightest bit of remorse deserves a torturous, painful death themselves.

I don't understand why there needs to be some weird brothel sex scene with Joffrey. I just have this icky feeling that they are making him more and more despicable to kind of "off-set" Cersei's wickedness, thus making her more "likable" to the audience. That's just ridiculous, considering that Cersei is debatably even worse than the kid. Anyone that gives over people to Qyburn without the slightest bit of remorse deserves a torturous, painful death themselves.

Yeah, I tend to agree with that. Joffrey is already a despicable, evil little shit. I should withhold judgment on the scene until I see the episode, but as of right now, I don't really like the sound of it. In the books, Tyrion does have the thought of taking Joffrey to a brothel, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that on this show they decided to take that one sentence thought and turn it into a scene. Still, if it's a well done scene that accomplishes more than just showing Joffrey as evil, I guess I can't complain. But, and I'm definitely jumping the gun on this, I feel like the time probably could be used better than on a scene of Joffrey with Ros.

I think it will be ok (I havent read about what happens in the scene, but from forum posts I get the gist of it). I suppose they can show this rather than him mutilate a cat (or is it a puppy?), and it wouldn't surprise me if he punishes one of the red headed prostitutes in some sort of weird sansa-hurting fetish after Tyrion assumedly saves her from punishment.

I think they're gonna wait until Joffrey's dead to go all out on making her completely evil, to try and make her a little sympathetic, like she went this crazy cause her son was murdered supposedly by her brother and that's why she's crazy. Sort of like how Cersei "confesses" to the High Sparrow in ADWD, saying she did everything out of grief from her husband's and son's deaths... Just what I think of the direction they're trying to go making her such the concerned mother and all.

Yes, but Tyrion doesn't consider taking Joffrey to a brothel out of altruism, it's just an idea to keep him occupied on nonconsequential things. Thus the previews of Joffrey hefting a crossbow, which in the books was another distraction...IIRC Tyrion said something like, "A shiny new toy to keep him occupied..."

And I agree with everyone who mentioned The Peach. That was a great scene in the books, and in the TV show it's a good opportunity to give Davos more screen time and show the viewers that Stannis truly values the honest counsel Davos offers.

A missing sentence from Dany's convo--the girl asked what Viserys had said and Dany answered: 'He said they eat meat.' The girl then goes on to ask what kind of meat, etc. That's when Dany says Viserys didn't know anything about anything.

The missing fact in all this is, of course, that they eat charred meat. Perhaps Viserys never mentioned that to Dany.

Also, it seems easy to me to resolve, other than 'serendipity' by Dany. She offers Drogon a hunk of raw meat, he rejects it, she flings it away in frustration and Drogon immediately sends out a blast and char-broils it.

ETA: That last scenario I described makes sense to me for another reason--I would think dragons would be hunters, like hawks, cats, sharks, the hunting instinct kicks in when the 'meat' is moving.

Well, in the book, Viserys says to a younger Dany "only men and dragons eat cooked meat". She remembers that in the red waste, and thus feeds them, cuz they're on the edge of starvation. My point was, the scene would have been a lot simpler and less confusing (fans wondering about whether the dragons were starving to death) if they just used what was in the book!

What you propose is a good scenario, yet it still fits in the category of "serendipity by Dany". She offers it to Drogon, he doesn't take it, SHE flings it away in frustration, and Drogon, following the motion, breathes fire.

I may not be remembering my timeline w/the dragons correctly, but when did they first start huffing flame? I thought Drogon, as usual, was the precocious one and breathed flame in the House of the Undying, to

save Dany from the rotten heart

Whelp, the new episode is about to start for me, but feel free to reply.

Archived