[Book Spoilers] Pre-episode discussion

Aegnor

RIOT!!! better be tonight!

I don't believe that is yet. Surely they would have shown snippets of that in the promo. We did see some of it in the season trailers. I think it will be coming pretty soon, though. Its right after Myrcella is sent to Dorne, I believe.

I asked a few people the other day what they thought of the new series and I got different responses. A lot of people are saying that the show is not following the novel as closely as seen in the first season and that this is making it hard to watch. I think that the new series is really good because it doesnt follow the novel as closely, I think it makes it more exciting in a way to see what is going to be included. Does anyone think the same?

Same here ! I love the daring the show takes, a few changes, shortcuts, gatherings... I love it, it's still damn faithful to the story, but in a cinematography way, so it's damn exciting !

I don't believe that is yet. Surely they would have shown snippets of that in the promo. We did see some of it in the season trailers. I think it will be coming pretty soon, though. Its right after Myrcella is sent to Dorne, I believe.

Yep, it's on the way back from the docks, innit?

There was also the peach in the preview, I was scared they cut it... but no !

The riot is for episode 6 I guess...

So Jon Snow appears this episode... I was thinking his story arc would be one of the cut ones, alongside Bran and Theon.

I'm curious to see the Jeyne story, really afraid of it...

I dont think Tywin will show up now, more like next episode, my guess...

Yeah, I believe Tywin comes next week, since he would have been shown in the preview if he was coming in tonight. Since next week's episode relates to Harrenhal with its name and all, I believe that's when he'll show up, though some are saying episode 6.

I've also read that the shadow is birthed tonight, but Renly doesn't die till the beginning of the fifth episode. Should be interesting to see what unfolds tonight.

I have to wait for the morning, myself, living in Europe... I'm gonna go to sleep soon and watch this as soon as I wake up !

It would surprise me if Renly doesnt die at the end of the episode... my bet is that it would end with Cat and Brienne's escape, or on Loras becoming mad and slaying everybody ! I wish they do this scene: showing Loras in rage !

I heard this, too. People seem pretty disturbed, I don't understand why they're adding this? Maybe it's supposed to replace the scene where Cersei has Chataya tortured in front of Tyrion? If so, it seems like they're trying to make Cersei more likeable by dumping her horribleness on Joff (who is already awful anyway).

At this point in the series, I doubt I can be any more disturbed by what goes on, esp. in the sex department. Personally, I think the producers can be kinda gratuitous with the sex scenes. Anyhoo, nothing surprises me anymore.

I think the Joffrey with whores scene might be in reference to Tyrion's idea that maybe if he "got a taste of honey" he wouldn't torture Sansa so much. He was contemplating a visit to Chataya's, (or in the tv series' case, Ros' brothel) but the problem was Joff couldn't be separated from the Hound. Maybe they'll actually play out this scenario that was aborted in the book. The effects could be interesting, b/c it might go in the opposite direction -- instead of having his desire/appetite satiated, he, in typical psychopathic fashion, would just want to torture Sansa MORE, esp. after he hears of Robb's victory.

Yes. It was a very quick snippet in the promo, but she was Drogon-less when she walks up to the Quartheen(if that is the same scene when they march out to meet her). I want more dragons, too. I, personally would like to see some of Dany bonding with her new "children". It doesn't have to be all the time. Just a scene, at least. I guess they have the whole season for that, though.

It looks like the return of Mel and Davos, as well. I'm looking forward to the Stannis and Renly meet up. I'm expecting some classic Stannis words!

"I did not come here to eat FRUIT."

"The boar got Robert and I got Margaery. You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid." - Renly

"In your bed, she's like to die that way." - Stannis

Yeah, what I found really weird in the first episode was Doreah asked Dany "Think, khaleesi. What did Viserys tell you about dragons? Think of anything he said." (Paraphrasing.) And she replies "Viserys knew nothing about dragons. He didn't know anything at all." (Again, paraphrasing.)

This scene really made absolutely no sense because first of all, in the first series, there is a scene (again with nudity, haha) where Viserys is telling Doreah all about dragons, and how his father would reward him with a sweet when he could recite all the dragon names correctly, or remember various other dragonlore. (How else would he know about the searing of meat?) Even more interesting is that he names dragons which, up until that point, readers of ASOIAF didn't know. We all know about Silverwing and Vhagar, Meraxes, Balerion, etc. etc., but he said some other ones which Martin confirmed were names of other Targaryen dragons.

The second problem with this scene is that if they had just followed the book, there wouldn't be the inevitable problem of the tiny dragons starving to death. How are there gonna resolve that? Serendipity by Dany? I understand that they want to make her the ultimate heroine, but I like the little parts where Viserys is shown to be human, before he went mad.

I too would like to see at least one scene of her bonding with the dragons.

One major question: why is this episode called The Garden of Bones? It doesn't sense for the outside of Qartheen's walls to be called that, b/c they're a rich enough place to feast every khal who comes by, and they are not a martial city, they're a merchant city. Garden of Bones, I thought, was similar to the translation of Vaes Tolorro, the white city they were supposed to have found in the middle of the Red Waste. I think either the Dothraki called it that at first or that's the actual translation.

It'll also be confusing if there is no Quaithe or Pyat Pree. I haven't read extensively about the casting so I don't know if they were cast, but I hope they are in that episode. But, obviously, this is a Dany-centered episode.

Re: Stannis & Renly

Hahaha although I would love to see all of those lines repeated, I have this feeling that the peach scene won't be in the episode. I feel like the writers won't think it's important enough or something, or take up too much screen time. It would also show what a funny guy Renly was, and they just haven't built up his character to be funny - more like a resentful, somewhat scared, kind, and conflicted young man. Not much like how he was in the book at all.

My final comment is that I wish there were more Bran and Arya scenes -- but especially Bran scenes. STILL mourning the loss of the Reeds...

I understand that they want to make her the ultimate heroine, but I like the little parts where Viserys is shown to be human, before he went mad.

Just rewatched the scene with Doreah, amazing scene... Viserys is maybe the most tragic character of the story, I like his little moments of humanity too, reminding us how he was in his childhood...

As for the peach, it seems to appear in the trailer, so I guess it will show up, and D&D know that it's one of the fans favorite moments, guess they wont cut it out !

Not after cutting so much amazing lines in Arya's storyarc last week !

Yeah, what I found really weird in the first episode was Doreah asked Dany "Think, khaleesi. What did Viserys tell you about dragons? Think of anything he said." (Paraphrasing.) And she replies "Viserys knew nothing about dragons. He didn't know anything at all." (Again, paraphrasing.)

This scene really made absolutely no sense because first of all, in the first series, there is a scene (again with nudity, haha) where Viserys is telling Doreah all about dragons, and how his father would reward him with a sweet when he could recite all the dragon names correctly, or remember various other dragonlore. (How else would he know about the searing of meat?) Even more interesting is that he names dragons which, up until that point, readers of ASOIAF didn't know. We all know about Silverwing and Vhagar, Meraxes, Balerion, etc. etc., but he said some other ones which Martin confirmed were names of other Targaryen dragons.

The second problem with this scene is that if they had just followed the book, there wouldn't be the inevitable problem of the tiny dragons starving to death. How are there gonna resolve that? Serendipity by Dany? I understand that they want to make her the ultimate heroine, but I like the little parts where Viserys is shown to be human, before he went mad.

A missing sentence from Dany's convo--the girl asked what Viserys had said and Dany answered: 'He said they eat meat.' The girl then goes on to ask what kind of meat, etc. That's when Dany says Viserys didn't know anything about anything.

The missing fact in all this is, of course, that they eat charred meat. Perhaps Viserys never mentioned that to Dany.

Also, it seems easy to me to resolve, other than 'serendipity' by Dany. She offers Drogon a hunk of raw meat, he rejects it, she flings it away in frustration and Drogon immediately sends out a blast and char-broils it.

ETA: That last scenario I described makes sense to me for another reason--I would think dragons would be hunters, like hawks, cats, sharks, the hunting instinct kicks in when the 'meat' is moving.

I've also read that the shadow is birthed tonight, but Renly doesn't die till the beginning of the fifth episode. Should be interesting to see what unfolds tonight.

Yeah I could also see the shadow baby running by Davos (since it seems he will be with her) being the ultimate cliffhanger ending for people who havent read the books. People will have no idea what's going on!

I thought Dany "discovered" the charred meat idea in Qarth, when she is safe and has time to tend to the dragons. It gives us that tender moment with her children that everyone wants to see (more dragons, at least), and it also gives a little background for "Dracarys!" so it doesn't come straight out of left field later on. Although, as long as they're making changes, I would like to see the charred meat idea to come out of Artsan after we know who he is, so he can prove that he knows more about dragons and the Targs than Viserys ever knew.

On another note, (I don't know if this belongs on this thread, but as long as we're saying what we're looking forward to) when Cersei gets back at Tyrion, how awesome for us Ros-haters would it be if she is the target? I don't see this happening for a couple weeks yet, at least not until after Privy-gate and maybe the Dorne send-off riot, but a million cheers would be heard across the nation! At least I hope this is who gets it, not Miss Drippymouth or GM Pycelle's bedmate.

An early review with some spoilers: http://www.ropeofsil...4-review-recap/

Interesting. Any of you Hollywood-savvy people know what this means: 'We start with a boo scare, never a nice open.' Uhhhh, what?

Also interesting that the reviewer downgrades it because of what sounds like is going to be some pretty horrific violence. Yikes, not quite sure if I'm ready... (HA! Who am I kidding, wouldn't miss it for the world!)

I thought Dany "discovered" the charred meat idea in Qarth, when she is safe and has time to tend to the dragons. It gives us that tender moment with her children that everyone wants to see (more dragons, at least), and it also gives a little background for "Dracarys!" so it doesn't come straight out of left field later on. Although, as long as they're making changes, I would like to see the charred meat idea to come out of Artsan after we know who he is, so he can prove that he knows more about dragons and the Targs than Viserys ever knew.

On another note, (I don't know if this belongs on this thread, but as long as we're saying what we're looking forward to) when Cersei gets back at Tyrion, how awesome for us Ros-haters would it be if she is the target? I don't see this happening for a couple weeks yet, at least not until after Privy-gate and maybe the Dorne send-off riot, but a million cheers would be heard across the nation! At least I hope this is who gets it, not Miss Drippymouth or GM Pycelle's bedmate.

No, as much as she irritates me, I won't enjoy her getting tortured.

Yeah I could also see the shadow baby running by Davos (since it seems he will be with her) being the ultimate cliffhanger ending for people who havent read the books. People will have no idea what's going on!

I feel like I have seen in a few places that Renly does in fact die at the end of Garden of Bones. But I could be wrong.

Things I'm most looking forward to tonight:

- Melisandre's shadow baby, of course.

- The added scenes with Littlefinger and Margaery.

- Dany getting to Qarth and meeting Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Pyat Pree, and the added Spice King.

- More Brienne!

- The Tickler in action.

Although, as long as they're making changes, I would like to see the charred meat idea to come out of Artsan after we know who he is, so he can prove that he knows more about dragons and the Targs than Viserys ever knew.

Doesn’t even make sense that they would survive without food all the way to Qarth, let alone having to wait for Squire Whitebeard to arrive, before they get to eat.

I think they’d’ve gone hunting on their own.

Re: Stannis & Renly

Hahaha although I would love to see all of those lines repeated, I have this feeling that the peach scene won't be in the episode. I feel like the writers won't think it's important enough or something, or take up too much screen time. It would also show what a funny guy Renly was, and they just haven't built up his character to be funny - more like a resentful, somewhat scared, kind, and conflicted young man. Not much like how he was in the book at all.

Sad as we are, we had a little campaign-thing going on for the Peach on tumblr. From the preview, it looks like it'll be in, but as far as I could tell, it was a scene with LF. Ah well, just have to wait and see! I hope they keep it in, Stannis simply has to say "I will go to my death bed thinking of my brother's peach" :rofl:

My final comment is that I wish there were more Bran and Arya scenes -- but especially Bran scenes. STILL mourning the loss of the Reeds...

Agreed. I sincerely hope they come into the show at some point. I don't see how Osha can fill their roles.

Archived