Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triskele

[book spoilers] Yoren

2 things

1.) in the TV show it wasn't a holdfast, it was a barn. a wood barn. You know what happens when you barricade yourself inside a wooden barn? the people outside set it on fire.

2.) a few people have mentioned how mean Yoren was, or that he "beat" arya. This is also false. he never "Beat" Arya, he spanked her. When she attacked hotpie with the wooden sword, typical punishment would be a flogging. In order to keep the boys from finding out shes a girl(removing her shirt and whipping her) he takes her aside privately and bends her over a knee. I would hardly describe anything Yoren did as Mean.

2 things

1.) in the TV show it wasn't a holdfast, it was a barn. a wood barn. You know what happens when you barricade yourself inside a wooden barn? the people outside set it on fire.

2.) a few people have mentioned how mean Yoren was, or that he "beat" arya. This is also false. he never "Beat" Arya, he spanked her. When she attacked hotpie with the wooden sword, typical punishment would be a flogging. In order to keep the boys from finding out shes a girl(removing her shirt and whipping her) he takes her aside privately and bends her over a knee. I would hardly describe anything Yoren did as Mean.

If you rewatch the scene, for a wood barn, there are an awful lot of stone walls.

Arya sees a lot of action in that fight at the hold fast wall. She wounds a few of Lorch's men trying to climb over , not long after she, Gendry and Hot Pie (of all people) kill one of the attackers.

The reader starts to realize Arya is 'hard candy' , and on the way to becoming as ruthless as the times demand.

In E3 she does not even get to use Needle as she did in CoK.

I'm not sure I'm against the change. This way, her murder of the Bolton guard at the end of this season will be even more shocking than in the book.

2 things

No, Yoren and the kids ran out of a large stone structure. Re-watch the episode if you can.

2 things

In the novel it was a hold fast with a wall and a barn where Jaqen and his crew were parked.

On the HBO episode they were in a stone hold fast, with no wall and no barn.

And there was no battle at the wall as there was in the book.

I wasn

They made him so much more sympathetic in the series. In the novel he beat Arya on one or more occasion if I'm not mistaken, and was generally very cold and distant towards her.

He kind of had to beat her though. And it wasn't that bad, I think he gave her a couple butt whips. He may have been cold and distant, but he was doing everything he could to protect the new recruits and couldn't bring special attention to Arya. I always thought he cared for her.

I wasn

He kind of had to beat her though. And it wasn't that bad, I think he gave her a couple butt whips. He may have been cold and distant, but he was doing everything he could to protect the new recruits and couldn't bring special attention to Arya. I always thought he cared for her.

I think it was his love/respect for her Uncle and her father that he cared for her in the book. In the tv show they went deeper however, and the prayer sequence showed that he knew more about Arya's tragedy than most could.

As others have said, it was a great send-off, it dripped of bad-assedness, and it was crafted to make us hate the Lannisters all that much more. (Except Tyrion, of course.)

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but I also like how Yoren's hair changed from scraggly last season, to the long Northern style worn by Ned Stark and Benjen Stark. It offers a bit of subtle continuity, like "These are true Northerners, hard men who know how to fight and die."

And I say that despite a general feeling that too many characters changed hairstyle/appearance between the seasons, which generally hurts narrative continuity because not much time is supposed to pass. Rhakaro becomes a blood rider and gets a braid, yes. We know that as book readers, but TV watchers won't make the connection. And suddenly Irri goes from rocking a ponytail to artfully arranged hair, as if she found a stylist in the red waste.

"I enjoyed Yoren explaining to Arya how he ended up on the wall. I have no issue with him giving Arya the idea of her "prayer"."

Same here. Best thing that wasn't in the books that they added into the show imho (did the book ever mention why Yoren took the black? I can't remember reading that).