(Book Spoilers) Will Garlan Be Cut?

Maithanet

I agree that all three of those scenes could be done with someone else (Loras for #1 and #3, and probably Margery for #2), so there's a real chance that he gets cut. But I'm holding out hope that they'll introduce him in season three.

I agree. I loved Garlan, but considering the necessity of cutting on secondary characters, and considering how they've expanded Margaery and Loras, it would be a good move to split Garlan's scenes between them. We might spot him as an extra when the Tyrells arrive at KL, but I doubt he'll have actual scenes and be presented as "Hey, look, a new character to keep track of!"

Garlan is not necessary for the story, therefore he'll be cut. On the other side, Mace, he's really important in he story-arc concerning Cersei's downfall, and they could also cut Olenna and put her character in Margaery and Mace. Which I think they'll be doing.

About Mace, I'm not sure. I wonder if they won't give Mace's role to Tarly, because Tarly does a whole lot more then Mace! Mace is mentionned more, but he doesn't have many scenes where he says something, and then he goes away for quite some time, besieging Storm's End. But I hope they'll keep Mace. I love the Tyrells.

And I still think they'll split Olenna in Margaery and Loras. Especially Margaery, to give her more importance. Considering they made her a woman, not a young maid, and considering the actress they've cast, they would probably want to give her more focus and make her the grand mastermind.

There was a whole featurette about it, so guess they did somehow emphazised it for this particular scene !

Probably more because it's an amazing armor then because it will be an important detail later on, considering we haven't seen Renly's helm and the helm is the most noticeable piece of an armor, and necessary for the whole disguise thing.

Unfortunately, most of the amazing details we see in the featurette is lost so far in the show, and that damn brown cape hides most of it.

I don't see that they have expanded Margaery and Loras. They are characters now, not extras, but I very much doubt we will see them much this season. My guess is episodes 3-5, and episode 10. And I also doubt they will expand Loras's role later on. After Renly's death Loras does pretty much nothing in the books until he volunteers to go to Dragonstone. I don't see potential here. Loras cannot make a connection with, say, Sansa, since she has already Sandor, Dontos, Littlefinger, and Tyrion to deal with.

Making Margaery the Tyrell mastermind in seasons 3 & 4 will actually make the story much more boring. And they most certainly will cut neither Mace nor Olenna. The series already established that Loras and Margaery are the younger Tyrell generation. Other people are in charge (i.e. Mace). And they will flash them out. We have 20 episodes for ASoS. There will more than enough time to show us all the Tyrells, especially since a lot of characters cast for seasons 2-3 will not stick around all that long (i.e. Renly, Qhorin, Ser Rodrik, Maester Luwin, Jaqen H'ghar, Balon Greyjoy, Robb, Craster, Ygritte, Jeor Mormont etc.).

Garlan may be cut, but Mace and Olenna will be most certainly in the show.

Olenna seems doubtful. Why else cast Margaery so old, if they're not planning on expanding her role as the key plotter in House Tyrell?

I am 95% certain that Garlan won't be cast, and 70% certain about Olenna.

Mace, however, seems likely to appear at some point.

Margaery is an extra in ACoK. She has one or two lines. Had they cast her as a 15 year old girl, they would not have been able to give her nude/sex scenes (and this would have made it impossible to give her any important private scenes with Renly).

Dormer may be nearly 30 by now, but her Margaery may very well be about 20 in the series. So Margaery has not been aged up all that much.

And I don't see why Margaery being an adult is to be interpreted as a sign that she will replace Lady Olenna. To expand Margaery's role, Margaery will need people to interact with.

They did not even cut Ser Kevan. Who, after ADwD, is revealed to be a rather unimportant role. His death is melodramatic and all, but none of his scenes from AGoT-ADwD is really needed to tell the stories. Tywin, Cersei, Jaime, and Tyrion could have taken over for him. Instead we got him in AGoT.

I doubt Garlan is in. Loras showing up in Renly's armour is much more likely.

The problem is whether the theory that Garlan slipped the poison into Joff's cup is true, since he was pretty much the only one with unimpeded access to the goblet. That (if true) might cause problems in S3 if he's out.

Olenna is great though; I sincerely hope they don't cut her.

Neither Garlan, Mace, nor Olenna will be in season 2, that much is sure. If they are going to give us 'Renly's ghost', all we'll see in 'Blackwater' is a guy fighting in Renly's armor. But I very much doubt they will reveal his identity in season 2 - but if they do, it will be during a conversation after the battle.

But I'd prefer to put somebody else in Renly's armor. Loras should have the chance to present himself as bad ass fighter once, before he becomes a gay version of the Hound...

Edmure appears in the viewer's guide... as does Hoster.

The one that doesnt appear is the Blackfish.

Other characters that do not appear in it are Victarion, Aeron, Garlan, Willos, Shireen... those are the characters most likely to be cut...

especially since a lot of characters cast for seasons 2-3 will not stick around all that long (i.e. Renly, Qhorin, Ser Rodrik, Maester Luwin, Jaqen H'ghar, Balon Greyjoy, Robb, Craster, Ygritte, Jeor Mormont etc.).

Nice point.

I doubt they'll even do the "Renly's Ghost" thing. Or they may just have someone mention it in passing. "The smallfolk say that Renly's ghost led the vanguard."

Other characters that do not appear in it are Victarion

If Victarion is cut I will sink a burning ship full of captured female slaves, such will be the might of my anger.

They can't possibly cut Victarion, Aeron, or Willas. The whole thing about Sansa's marriage to Willas will most certainly be in the show. But they certainly won't need to cast him.

Victarion and Aeron are both POV characters and are most likely important for the future stories. If Euron could/would go himself to Daenerys, GRRM would have written it that way, I think, as this whole construction is somewhat irritating in the books as well.

No brother of Balon will appear in seasons 2/3, but all three of them will be seen when we get the Kingsmoot in season 4. And despite the fact that this nameless priest in last week's episode is not supposed to be Aeron as of yet, they could easily retcon him to be Aeron if we are going to see him again... The guy had charisma enough to be Aeron Greyjoy, if you ask me.

As to the Tullys: We'll at least get Edmure and dying Hoster in season 3. The whole death theme will brilliantly foreshadow the Red Wedding and the fall of House Stark in my opinion. But they might very well keep Brynden in there as well. If they are not going to change Jaime's story later on all that much, Brynden will be a necessity, I think. And the Blackfish has also the potential to become a much more active/important character right now than Edmure, who most likely will remain a hostage of the Lannisters.

No matter, all of Balon's brothers (including Balon himself) have been aged up due to the additional years between Robert's Rebellion and the beginning of the TV series.

No matter, all of Balon's brothers (including Balon himself) have been aged up due to the additional years between Robert's Rebellion and the beginning of the TV series.

What, like four whole years? You wouldn’t even notice it on people who were already middle-aged.

Archived