What do you Collect?

Rogue Knight

Thanks Becca69, that makes sense to me, but here in the UK I'm being told I need professional valuations, I guess to vouch that the signatures are genuine. No "expert" worth his salt will come out to my home cheaply. But it's a good idea for me to start a photo gallery, I'll do it tomorrow! I have a lot of signed 1st GRRMs, plus Sub Press & first eds of other fantasy writers. BTW Collecting Ben Kane's Roman novels now, recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

It's confusing to me why it is that the Faceless Man coin has seemingly gone viral, and yet the other coins I've done for the series...seem to languish.

Is it the numbers? Do I make too many of each?... or too many different?

Is it the designs? Do you imagine the coins different?

Is it the size? Are they too small to suit modern tastes?

Is it the degree of tie-in of a coin to specific book/film people and events?

...so that there's little interest in coins of old long-dead kings?

Is it because I still haven't made a Dragon coin yet?

Is it the cost? Are they too expensive? Or... too cheap to seem like they could have value?

Is it because we missed the "h" in "morghulis" there for a while?

Is it because Instead of having "limited editions" I keep the same coin going, but keep track of the die types?

... that is information coin collectors love. But perhaps popular-culture theme collectors don't care?

Seriously though, I would appreciate any feedback.

I can only speak for myself, but here is what appealed most to me about the Faceless Man coin...

1. First and foremost, the design. It is one of the most fascinating and attractive fantasy coins I have ever seen.

2. The price. It is a more affordable collectible than most other coins. Also, I am not worried so much about the initial cost affecting their value as I am with higher mintage numbers per pressing. But hey, I know you're trying to make a living, too.

3. The low mintage of the early pressings. I love rare things and the more rare, the better.

4. The variety in pressings. However, I would love to see more "interesting" changes in future pressings.

5. Its unique significance in the story. I look forward to seeing Arya put it to use.

6. The missing "h" did not bother me at all. In fact, I loved the way you creatively and rationally explained the mistake away.

7. It's from A Game of Thrones! Need I say more?

I hope this helps.

Now, in regards to the main thread - my Game of Thrones collection consists of pretty much Faceless Man coins. I have odd collecting habits. When I really like something, I have a tendency to become a completist. So, here is a list of the Faceless Man coins I have picked up from Shire Post Mint. I have gifted some to friends and family, but kept at least one from every pressing.

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 1st pressing

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 1st pressing (unreleased, copper geocoin)

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 2nd pressing

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 3rd pressing

1 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 4th pressing

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 4th pressing (limited, rainbow-toned)

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 5th pressing

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 5th pressing (brass replica)

51 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 6th pressing (consists of 2 rolls and a few singles)

3 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 6th pressing (brass replica, drilled)

2 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 7th pressing

2 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 8th pressing

2 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 8th pressing (limited, niobium)

2 x Iron Coin of the Faceless Man - 8th pressing (limited, triple-thick)

Keep up the great work, Master of Coin!

I can certainly make that happen. I just have to gather everything up again. One of each set was gifted to my best friend for his birthday and another to my dad on Father's Day, but I can borrow them for the photo.

Forty-eight of the 6th pressing coins came in two rolls of 24, but luckily I kept the roll wrappers intact as a keepsake. I can just slide them back into their wrappers. I use the 48 loose 6th pressing coins as gaming chips for a rummy game I thought up. I simply reworked the rules for 500 Rummy and renamed it "Westeros Rummy." The fine folks at Shire Post Mint posted my instructions for the game on their website. If you are interested in playing Westeros Rummy, check it out here. My instructions are at the bottom of the post.

I also have to wait until my six 8th pressing coins arrive. I bought them on Tuesday, but the Master of Coin is still assembling the order to ship.

@Master of Coin:

The new 8th's arrived today. They look awesome! Once I borrow back the other two sets, I will take one massive photo and lots of little ones for the forum.

I love that you included the mintage details on the "Niobium" and "Thick" flip inserts. However, I did notice that the regular 8th pressing flips did not contain the small descriptive inserts like all of the previous pressings did. Are you moving away from the small inserts in favor of the larger ones?

Yes the larger 2"x2" flips allow the coin to roll around and they'll often end up upside down.... so we're going to the 1.5"x1.5" flips so they hold the coin better. We used to supply all the coins in the 2x2 flips and it was something extra to make the 3x4 with the descriptive folder. But our customer feedback has been telling us that people like the 3x4 format (which is the same size as used for sports and gaming collectible cards) so we're moving to eventually provide everything in those. In addition we're working on set packaging... either in larger 4x6 or 5x7 sleeves... or in a number of other formats that we're experimenting with. This is actually a new field of collectible so there is no established way that people collect them. Feedback is welcome, though we should probably take it to PM so that we don't bore people to tears!

Actually had a surprisingly pleasant/easy buying experience from Barnesandnoble.com the other day. I had some money sitting in my PayPal account and since, in the words of the great Keith Richards - "I never kept a dollar past sunset, always burn a hole in my pants" - I was just aching to spend it so I figured I'd pre-order the Dangerous Women anthology that comes out in December. I was figuring I was going to get shot down because my PayPal doesn't have a credit card on file, but no, I was able to order it quite easily and I didn't even need to make an account! Kudos B&N, kudos.

• 1 month later...

Major update after Capclave: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/null_zpseee7c230.jpg

AGoT
US Proof/ARC with DJ - Signed
US 1st printing HC - Signed
US reissue 1st printing HC w/ Jon Snow DJ - Signed
Barnes & Noble slipcased edition - Signed
UK Deluxe edition - 1st print
UK Collectible edition
UK Reissue with white dust jacket
US 1st State Unissued Trade Dust Jacket signed by Stephen Youll (1 of 7) - Signed

ACoK
US 1st printing HC, DJ signed by Stephen Youll - Signed
UK 1st printing HC - Signed
Meisha Merlin limited edition - PC copy

ASoS
US Proof/ARC - Signed
US 1st Printing HC - Signed
UK 1st printing HC - Signed
Subterranean Press Limited edition

AFfC
US 1st printing HC w/ both published and non published (proof) dust jackets, signed by Stephen Youll - Signed
The Captain of the Guards excerpt - signed
UK 1st printing HC - signed
UK Limited slipcased edition

ADwD
US 1st printing HC signed by GRRM
UK 1st edition/1st printing HC

Other Books:
The Lands of Ice and Fire
GRRM: A Rretrospective - Subterranean Press signed 1st
The Ice Dragon - signed 1st HC
Fevre Dream - US 1st HC
Fevre Dream - Subterranean Press Limited edition
Dying of the Light - Subterranean Press Limited edition
Tuf Voyaging - Meisha Merlin Limited edition
Warriors - US HC 1st - Signed by GRRM & Gardner Dozois
The Armageddon Rag 1st US edition/1st print HC
Dreamsongs Vol.1 & 2 US 1st print HC
Windhaven 2001 ARC
Starlady/Fast Friend - Subterranean Press Signed/Limited edition

Shadow Twin - Subterranean Press S/L
Quartet - Limited signed by GRRM & Charles Vess

Songs of the Dying Earth 1st US edition - Signed by GRRM & Gardner Dozois

Old Mars - Signed by GRRM, Gardner Dozois & Howard Waldrop

The Skin Trade (Capclave limited trade edition) - Signed

The Skin Trade (Capclave limited signed/numbered edition)

Down These Strange Streets - Signed by GRRM, Gardner Dozois & Charlaine Harris

AGoT #1-6 Comics signed by GRRM and the artist
AGoT #7-10 Comics signed by GRRM and the artist
Mile High Comics AGoT limited Comic Con edition #15
The Hedge Knight 1st Graphic Novel - 2003 softcover

Game of Thrones Graphic Novel Vol 2 - Signed

Fevre Dream Graphic Novel - Signed

Deeper Than Swords - Texas A&M University Publication

Multiple signed bookplates for my books sent to me from GRRM

Season 1 DVD box set with Targaryen dragon cover

Multiple Teefury T-shirts - Stark brew, Baratheon brew, Ned Stark, Jon Snow, The Wall, Send A Raven, Win or Die

Needle from Valyrian Steel #1527

Just a heads-up to the collectors out there that are looking for limited edition things...

A few months ago I mentioned in the "Game of Thrones Coins" thread in this forum, that the dies for the Eddard Stark silver pfennig (or half stag) had been badly damaged in a brockage incident and withdrawn from service. The mintage list in the first post of the above-mentioned thread is the official one and is edited as necessary. You can see that there were three pressings of that coin, in two different registrations. The total of all three together is just 774 pieces. And that's it... the dies are ruined and no more can be made.

At the present time there are only about 15 singles left for sale, so I expect all of those to be gone before long. I am setting the very last ones aside to use in assembling a few "complete" sets.

We have a new set of Eddard dies to replace the collapsed ones... and the new coin is very nice, with the new Direwolf head engraving on the reverse side by Joe Paonessa. But the original has the awesome direwolf rampant by the late Greg Franck-Weiby. If this piece is missing from your collection then there's not much time left to fill that gap before they are all gone.

Oh... I should mention that the bagged Winterfell coin set carried by the HBO shop has this coin in it... but I do not know how low their inventory may be on those.

Have fun! Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, Master of Coin! My latest Faceless Man order arrived yesterday and everything was in there. I have now completed three Iron Coin of the Faceless Man Sets of 13 that include all pressings to date.

Here is a complete list of the Faceless Man coins I have picked up from Shire Post Mint so far.

3 x 1st pressing token

3 x 1st pressing geo-token (copper)

3 x 2nd pressing token

3 x 3rd pressing token

3 x 4th pressing token (rainbow-toned)

3 x 5th pressing token

3 x 5th pressing token (brass)

3 x 6th pressing token

3 x 6th pressing token (brass, drilled)

3 x 7th pressing token

3 x 8th pressing token

3 x 8th pressing token (niobium)

3 x 8th pressing token (triple-thick)

plus...

2 x 6th pressing roll (24 tokens per roll)

I have borrowed back the two sets I previously gifted so I can take photos. They are coming soon!

"Valar Morghulis! Valar Dohaeris!"

Archived