Sothoryos

Yeah, it is weird that all the cities there are ruined. It must be habitable, because people live on the Basilisk Isles, and they are really close to the shore. In fact the only city in the Basilisk Isles is also ruined. Seems strange. Sadly, I think it's going to be a mystery we never get an answer too.

Interestingly, as well as Basilisk Point, there is also Wyvern Point at the other end of the continent, which suggests that large scaly beings have some kind of influence on the culture there, so the dinosaur theory may well be right. Which would be awesome- but also pointless if we never get to see them.

I do wonder what's inland and to the far East, the North coast seems to be mostly abandoned, probably from the Doom tsunamis. My guess is that somewhere inland Gerion Lannister, Tysha, Steffon Baratheon, Benjen Stark, Ashara Dayne and Rhaegar are all mighty rulers locked in an endless war

Although in all seriousness, I would like to get to know more about the interior, not necessarily in the main line of novels but maybe in short stories, supplementary material or stand alones. I'm currently imagining that there's some kind of hidden King Solomon's Mines style kingdoms in there, or maybe something really extraordinarily large similar to the Inca Empire

Just as westeros is Western europe (mosly England and Scotlans with a bit of France and Spain thrown in, Esssos is clearly The mediteranean.Middle east Pentos ( Athens and other Greek cities), Bravos (taly), Valyria (Rome),and I am sure those skilled in ancient history will find Carthage, Cairo, Istanbul, Syria, Jorsan, Bagdad and Tehran.

The Dothraki seem to be the Hun wildly terrorising the middle east.

Assai is I assume China/India - the far east.

Southeros is clearly Africa and also australia.

The striped horses (Zebras), Spotted creatures (giraffes), The tigers with pouches are Australian "Tasmanian tigers" a spotted marsupial as big as a dog (now sadly extinct since 1937) and there were in ancient times much larger types of similar carnivores

Yeah, it is weird that all the cities there are ruined. It must be habitable, because people live on the Basilisk Isles, and they are really close to the shore. In fact the only city in the Basilisk Isles is also ruined. Seems strange. Sadly, I think it's going to be a mystery we never get an answer too.

Interestingly, as well as Basilisk Point, there is also Wyvern Point at the other end of the continent, which suggests that large scaly beings have some kind of influence on the culture there, so the dinosaur theory may well be right. Which would be awesome- but also pointless if we never get to see them.

Cities can't sustain themselves, they need either trade or a government taking tribute from the peasants to feed the cities. If the government and trade collapses, the cities starve and remain empty.

I think the Valyrians attacked Sothoyros to take slaves. We know they had mines under the volcanos, and that slaves died like fleas there, due to bad treatment, the heat and the firewyrms. The Valyrians obviously needed many slaves to replace those they burned, so they probably attacked and raided even countries they didn't bother to conquest.

Later the tsunami provoked by the Doom destroyed the coastal regions of Sothoyros the same way ot destroyed the Isle of Cedars. And still later, slavers from Slaver's Bay and pirates from the Basilisk Islands started to raid the coast, taking slaves to sell them at Qarth or the Free Cites.

If the people of Sothoyros couldn't rebuild their civilization due to all those fatalities the cities couldn't be inhabited and would be left to decay.

There are trades going on there, as Moreo told Dany what was necesary to construct a ship, and he mentioned a certain kind of wood from Sothoryos.

It's the equivalent of our Africa, Westeros is huge sized Britain, Essos is the continental Europe and Asia, but not as our Asia, it's a bit mixed, Volantis reminds me of Middle Eastern and they are below cities like Braavos who is some kind of Venice. so It's not separated West and East. Ibben is like Greenland I think or a small sized Rusia transformed in an island.

There are theories about the lands of always winter encounter Sothoryos and that Dany and Jon will meet up like that, passing through the shadow.

As Martin said it's just the North Hemisphere of this planet, I believe it's posible at least one more continent exists, but far south, or two continents more maybe

We know there are Pleistocene Era creatures beyond the Wall such as mammoths, direwolves, short-faced bears, etc; I wonder if the in the jungles of Sothoryos, there are creatures from the Jurassic Period.

It would be so sweet. :drool:

“Hear me. The ships of Braavos sail as far as the winds blow, to lands strange and wonderful, and when they return their captains fetch queer animals to the Sealord’s menagerie. Such animals as you have never seen, striped horses, great spotted things with necks as long as stilts, hairy mouse-pigs as big as cows, stinging manticores, tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch, terrible walking lizards with scythes for claws. Syrio Forel has seen these things.

And in Vic's chapters in ADWD,he wonders whether Dany's dragons are real or...tatooed lizards from the swamps of Sothoryos.

I'm pretty sure Yi Ti is on Sothoryos. In the first book it was stated that Yi Ti was South- East of Qarth. Plus the people wear monkey hats, and there are probably monkeys in the jungle.

Yi Ti is a region in Essos, not Sothoryos. It is found to the east of Qarth and form like a wide but short peninsula into the Jade Sea. Just east of the peninsula lies a bay and to the other side, lies the Shadowlands. Asshai is located in the southernmost tip of the region which also forms quite a long triangular peninsula.

• 2 weeks later...

“Hear me. The ships of Braavos sail as far as the winds blow, to lands strange and wonderful, and when they return their captains fetch queer animals to the Sealord’s menagerie. Such animals as you have never seen, striped horses, great spotted things with necks as long as stilts, hairy mouse-pigs as big as cows, stinging manticores, tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch, terrible walking lizards with scythes for claws. Syrio Forel has seen these things.

omg dinosaurs

Due to my lifelong love and interest in Africa, Sothoryos deeply fascinates me and I'd love to know more about it but it's a place I don't think we'll ever get to visit in the main series. And I hope they do not, I mean it's so far removed from the Seven Kingdoms. Who would need to go all the way down there? Do we want another Mereenese knot?

As some have already said maybe on some sidestories or novelas. Perhaps on World of Ice and Fire? But what I am enjoying most is IMAGINING what must be there, which I'm sure is GRRM's intentions.

As for me I imagine a mix of megafauna, African wildlife, and perhaps dinosaurs. I believe a creature resembling a velociraptor is mentioned in either AGoT or ACoK in one of the Dany chapters. For some I believe most of the North coast is deserted or moslt in ruins but the middle and low parts of the continent may hold many things. Different civilizations, lost cities, treasure, untold dangers and adventure. Who knows?

Archived