Sothoryos

• 3 weeks later...

Forget Sothoryos. I want references and then novellas about Ulthos. I think it's part of the Shadow Lands covered in ghost grass judging from it's closeness to the Shadow lands and Asshai. Also the dark color suggests that is ghost grass. That's just my opinion. One sources says it's dark forests.

Valyria (Rome),

Rome mixed with Minoan Crete, I think. The disaster is too much like the eruption of Thera for it not to be an influence

This is one of the moments where I wish that GRRM would write ten more novels, telling about all the history and locations of his world. Sigh...

He might revisit the world even after ASOIAF is finished.

Ulthos = Australia ?!

Or South America.

I'll be very disappointed if there aren't Terror Birds somewhere in Sothoryos or Ulthos.

I agree that it's clearly Africa, and Ulthos is something else, either Australia or a continent representing Pacific islands.

I agree that it would be a waste of time for the ASOIAF to move there (we've already wasted enough time in Meereen). Maybe some creatures could be imported from there, but I think it is nice that it keeps its cloud of mystery.

But it does make you wish that GRRM writes more side stories, maybe novellas, later on, about someone in Sothyoros, someone in Asshai, someone in Ibben, someone in Thenn someone in the Summer Islands, someone in Yi-Yi, someone in Ulthos... Maybe a short story per place we haven't visited!! Now that would be so cool...

(edited for spelling)

the Dunk and Egg stories still have plenty of time to go to both places! GRRM got a little exited and got carried away with the drawing of maps. I really wonder what he was thinking when he drew Ulthos instead of more of Sothoryos or the east end of Essos.

Forget Sothoryos. I want references and then novellas about Ulthos. I think it's part of the Shadow Lands covered in ghost grass judging from it's closeness to the Shadow lands and Asshai. Also the dark color suggests that is ghost grass. That's just my opinion. One sources says it's dark forests.

I agree with anyone who says it's dark forests. Ultos isn't connected with Essos (also Sothoryos). GRRM said that Ulthos's size is somewhere between a big island and a contient, which means it's smaller than other known contients. I think dark forests that cover Ulthos is something to do with the shade of evening...

About Sothoryos, there are krakens around of Basilisk Isles :cool4:

and what about these brindled man :stunned:

• 4 months later...

I'm appalled at some of the ignorant and borderline racist views on Africa, particularly from early in the thread. Medieval Africa had cities, advanced civilizations, empires, learning, wealth. Like Asia, the Middle East and the Americas (I don't know about other places during that time), its civilizations were in some ways more advanced than Europe. Not an uncivilized backwater filled with diseases, only rural populations. Tropical climate has never impeded civilizations and advanced cultures, for example the Mali empire, the Mayans and Aztecs, Angkor Wat (the largest city in the world for a while), India.

So while I agree that Sothoros is probably an Africa equivalent, I expect (if GRRM's done his homework and not relied on racist colonial era views of Africa as backwards, uncivilized, diseased wasteland) it will have some very interesting advanced cultures. Also, everyone speaks of Westeros as if that's the world standard of higher civilization, but it seems to me, that even though we have a 2 dimensional view, due to POV limitations that Essos (except for it's nasty infatuation with slavery) is in many ways culturally and technologically more advanced than Westeros and certainly we see more advanced forms of government in some parts of Essos than the feudal system of Westeros.

• 8 months later...

Wyverns are kin to dragons and they don't breathe fire, they live in Wyvern Point. Victarion wonders if Dany's dragons are no more than tattoed lizards of Sothoryos, who live in its swamps. Wyverns are said to live in swamps too. I wonder if tattoed lizards are actually wyverns, as they would look like dragons and Dany supposedly can trick people.

If not then there are wyverns and tattoed lizards in Sothoryos, also we speculated that there may be velaciraptors too.

It appears likely that Sothoryos extends north and east from that bit we see on the ASoS map and also forms the south coast of the Jade Sea (as hinted on the new HBO map). It may be that that part of Sothoryos, much further east than the devastated part, has inhabited cities or kingdoms on it. We hear about traders doing a great circle of the Jade Sea, trading at all the ports along the way, and it might not be worth it if the entire southern coast was uninhabited..

It is. In The Lands of Ice and Fire it shows more than the book maps; it doesn't really go North but yeah... It does form a coast on the South of the Jade Sea.

I'm appalled at some of the ignorant and borderline racist views on Africa, particularly from early in the thread. Medieval Africa had cities, advanced civilizations, empires, learning, wealth. Like Asia, the Middle East and the Americas (I don't know about other places during that time), its civilizations were in some ways more advanced than Europe. Not an uncivilized backwater filled with diseases, only rural populations. Tropical climate has never impeded civilizations and advanced cultures, for example the Mali empire, the Mayans and Aztecs, Angkor Wat (the largest city in the world for a while), India.

So while I agree that Sothoros is probably an Africa equivalent, I expect (if GRRM's done his homework and not relied on racist colonial era views of Africa as backwards, uncivilized, diseased wasteland) it will have some very interesting advanced cultures. Also, everyone speaks of Westeros as if that's the world standard of higher civilization, but it seems to me, that even though we have a 2 dimensional view, due to POV limitations that Essos (except for it's nasty infatuation with slavery) is in many ways culturally and technologically more advanced than Westeros and certainly we see more advanced forms of government in some parts of Essos than the feudal system of Westeros.

:agree:

Who knows, in some ways Sothoros may be more advanced than Westeros and Essos.

• 4 weeks later...

"Victarion Greyjoy gives Red Ralf Stonehouse the Iron Fleet's swiftest ships to sail the corsair's road along the northern coast of Sothoryos and seek provisions through the iron price from towns in the Basilisk Isles. Victarion gave orders to reunite off the southern tip of the Isle of Cedars; only nine of the ships that had sailed with Ralf turn up, with Ralf himself among the missing"

"Garin tells Arianne Martell that according to sailors in Planky Town, a new corsair king has risen in the Basilisk Isles and has raided Tall Trees Town."

so it looks like the corsair king defeated the iron fleet. could be quite powerful , and could have a part to play in the future?

i think this could be the closest we come to sothoryos for now.

Archived