Sothoryos

I don't think Sothoryos is supposed to be Africa, I always thought GRRM made the Summer Islands his Sub-Saharan Africa/Congo counterpart.

Sothoryos is plague ridden, and full of ruined cities, so it had civilization but it was wiped out by plagues, that neither fits Africa nor the Dark Continent idea of Africa, unless it's a combination of both with plagues everywhere and cities.

Sounds more like South America right after the Europeans arrived and accidently brought every plague in Europe with them.

Well, I don't have the facts either and wouldn't know where to start looking in the books. Does anyone have more information?

The Corsair King is mentioned twice before the Ironborn go on their voyage to the East.

The first is in ASOS, when Daenerys goes to purchase the Unsullied and is told that a Corsair King visited before her, looking to buy Unsullied.

The second is in AFFC, when Garin tells Arianne Martell that the sailors on the Greenblood and Planky Town have spread news that a Corsair King has risen in the Basilisk Isles, and has raided Tall Trees Town in the Summer Islands.

This dude isn't Aurane Waters either, as we know from TWOW that Aurane has set up in the Stepstones and the timeline doesn't fit with the previously mentioned Corsair King. Though the idea about Ralf going missing around the same time is cool, too.

Naathi are from Sothoryos, they are also known as The Peaceful People. They worship the Lord of Harmony, butterflies mostly protect them from invaders because they carry diseases, somehow it doesn't affect Naathi.

Basilisk Islanders are kinda like Sothoryos version of Ironborn. The islanders are all scums and they might have a pirate culture as we heard of a Corsair King.

Brindled men lives there. They are called as half-men so they might be dwarfs. According to the app, they pile up skulls in order to worship their dark god.

Zamettar, Yeen and Gogossos are ruined cities. We basically know nothing about them.

Gorosh was a penal colony founded by Ghiscari Empire.

Wyverns live in the Wyvern Point. Vic mentioned tattoed lizards from Sothoryos. There are apes as well. There might be basiliks in the Basilisk Point and/or Basilisk Isles. Again, there might be velociraptors in Sothoryos.There might be frogs in the Isle of Toads.

There is a disease in Sothoryos that kills someone slowly from inside and it turns them yellow (i.e Yezzan's illness)

Teak can be found in there.

• 1 month later...

I always thought of it like Africa with the Sahara under water. The plagues and so on perfectly fit all the plagues and sicknesses that lie dormant in the Djungles of Africa to this day. Just think of Aids and Ebola and all that other nasty stuff, fits the wiped out civilisations there perfectly. People tend to forget that Africa does not have all that much Djungle at all, so this continent resembles an africa without the Sahara.

Also, did anyone else catch that the ironborn have discovered the ASOIAF equivalent of America, and dismissed it as not so important?

Aren't there deserts in Sothoryos farther inland?

We're told so but none of the maps shows any desert. TWOIAF map a little bit extends to south so we will see a little more of Sothoryos, I wonder if there's any deserts below there, but it seems unlikely as there is a huge lake in the middle of Sothoryos.

I always thought of it like Africa with the Sahara under water. The plagues and so on perfectly fit all the plagues and sicknesses that lie dormant in the Djungles of Africa to this day. Just think of Aids and Ebola and all that other nasty stuff, fits the wiped out civilisations there perfectly. People tend to forget that Africa does not have all that much Djungle at all, so this continent resembles an africa without the Sahara.

Also, did anyone else catch that the ironborn have discovered the ASOIAF equivalent of America, and dismissed it as not so important?

Farwynd seems to be just crazy, but it might be plausible. In a world of Ice and Fire, anything's game.

We're told so but none of the maps shows any desert. TWOIAF map a little bit extends to south so we will see a little more of Sothoryos, I wonder if there's any deserts below there, but it seems unlikely as there is a huge lake in the middle of Sothoryos.

A huge lake? Where did you get that from?

I think it's like Africa:

If it were like the Americas the plagues would be foreign brought and affect the native population disproportionately. Instead Yezzan was a visitor and he got some horrid tropical disease (which was a hazard of being in the British colonial service). Likewise the Naathi are protected from conquest by the disease ridden butterflies, but not protected from slave raids. (worth noting IRL malaria kills loads of Africans)

Likewise Africa once had great civilizations (and Sothorys has all those ruined cities on it's coast), but couldn't rebuild them because of the slave trade. My Dad says the great African civilizations that survived longest were inland, out of the reach of European (West Coast) and Arab (East Coast) slave trade.

I think it's like Africa:

If it were like the Americas the plagues would be foreign brought and affect the native population disproportionately. Instead Yezzan was a visitor and he got some horrid tropical disease (which was a hazard of being in the British colonial service). Likewise the Naathi are protected from conquest by the disease ridden butterflies, but not protected from slave raids. (worth noting IRL malaria kills loads of Africans)

Likewise Africa once had great civilizations (and Sothorys has all those ruined cities on it's coast), but couldn't rebuild them because of the slave trade. My Dad says the great African civilizations that survived longest were inland, out of the reach of European (West Coast) and Arab (East Coast) slave trade.

Ashanti or Benin were pretty close to the west coast. Same for Ethiopia in the east.

In fact, inland civilizations like Mali or Songhai crumbled because of the lack of trade due to the slave trade, but coastal cities flourished with the slave trade giving money to them.

Archived