Table Top RPG Stuff

Sci-2

Interesting news from the Paizo forum (taken from Reddit AMAs with WotC personnel). Apparently D&DNext/5E will have an OGL attached to it, so third-party publishers will once again be able to make adventures and rulebooks for it, like in the 3E days.

While 3rd Party support flourished for 3E, it was still a mixed blessing. It arguably hurt 3E and it caused an over-saturation of 3rd party books, but it still generated a tremendous amount of quality products and lines. I'll be curious how they adjust this OGL in comparison with the 3E version.

I am wondering if people are reading more into this than it appears. Technically, 4E had an OGL as well, but it was so restrictive that barely anything was made for it. 5E might have just a similar thing. OTOH, WotC and their team say they've learned from the mistakes of 4E, which suggests a more open approach may be possible.

I think the problem with the GSL was it gave way too much power to WotC when it came to 3PP product lines. IIRC Paizo actually created Pathfinder partially due to the GSL restrictions.

The OGL was problematic in that it allowed way too much leeway in what people could use, and it did make an insane number of products of varying quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Unwritten, a Myst based RPG using FATE

What many of our most brilliant physicists have long suspected is, in fact, true: beyond our universe, there are limitless others in mind-boggling variety. But humanity had never realized that the secret to those worlds was beneath its feet. For ten millennia, the D’ni lived in great caverns, ignoring the savages on the surface. Using their linking books, they built an empire that spanned dimensions. Its glory was ended abruptly a few centuries ago, and their city has stood empty. Until now.

Small groups of humanity have discovered the secret of the Deep City. Some have come to explore, and others have come to exploit. Some have been called to D’ni by a feeling they can’t describe, and try to make it their home. Others look out to the Ages, the universes suddenly open to them, and see opportunity and hope. And there are those among the Ages who are not happy that D’ni has begun to breathe again.

The D’ni civilization is no more. But the ending has not been written.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't watched this myself, but the designers ran a game of The Strange and filmed it:

Link to Youtube vid.

Finally, earlier today Monte, Bruce, Shanna, and our guest gamer Stan! Brown sat down for a brief play session of The Strange—which was broadcast live over the Internet. Over 200 people watched the session at the time. If you weren’t one of them (What? You have a job?), we’ve got your back. You can watch the whole thing here.

• 2 months later...

So after many years of trying to convince several different groups of friends to try tabletop RPGs I finally got a couple people interested. We just started a D&D 4e game last night and had a pretty good time, although I think we're doing certain things completely wrong since it's the first time playing for all of us. Our DM is kind of learning as we go as are the rest of us. I'm playing a half-orc knight by the name of Gurk, we've also got Beor the human paladin, Lia the elf ranger and our NPC party member who just follows us around and constantly misses in fights, Motherfucker Jones the goblin warrior. He was the lone survivor of our first quest to clear out a goblin cave and we convinced him to join us :lol:.

I'm also starting a Dungeon World campaign with an online group tomorrow morning, watched some people play it on YouTube and it looks awesome. You can check that out here, it's pretty entertaining (Featuring Day9, DJ Wheat and JP McDaniel): http://youtu.be/ooa-apRt2wk. The same guy (JP) also has two D&D campaigns and a Dark Heresy campaign going on as well. Dark Heresy is another game I really want to try. I love the 40k universe.

We just started a D&D 4e game last night and had a pretty good time, although I think we're doing certain things completely wrong

If you're having fun, you're doing it right 8) RPG rules are really more like suggestions/guidelines.

• 1 month later...

4E is a good and fun game. Mind you, the lead creator of 3E and 4E teamed up together to create 13th Age, which has been a critical success.

13th Age is pretty cool. I haven't had a chance to play it but I like the Icons and all that jazz.

$50?

that is obscene.

+1. For an edition that has been rife with controversy before it's even out you think they'd realize they should lower the price.

Ah well, it was nice knowing you D&D. Long live Pathfinder/Numenera/13th Age/Dungeon World/Burning Wheel/etc!

Why is 5e so controversial anyway? $50 seems like a lot regardless.

My Dungeon World group finished our campaign yesterday, had a lot of fun with that. Probably going to be starting an Apocalypse World campaign with the same group next weekend, looking forward to that :)

Why is 5e so controversial anyway? $50 seems like a lot regardless.

My Dungeon World group finished our campaign yesterday, had a lot of fun with that. Probably going to be starting an Apocalypse World campaign with the same group next weekend, looking forward to that :)

Well 4e apparently fizzled and died an early death, but now 5e seems to be trying to go back to 3e while still accommodating 4e.

They also promised some kind of plug & play system that AFAIK hasn't panned out as expected. Then again the guys at WotC may surprise us.

Problem is AFAICTell the Official D&D is now just one more product in the ring as opposed to being thought of as "real D&D".

Well 4e apparently fizzled and died an early death, but now 5e seems to be trying to go back to 3e while still accommodating 4e.

They also promised some kind of plug & play system that AFAIK hasn't panned out as expected. Then again the guys at WotC may surprise us.

Problem is AFAICTell the Official D&D is now just one more product in the ring as opposed to being thought of as "real D&D".

Many 4E proponents, at least on ENWorld.org, felt like they were completely ignored in favor of 3E and not accommodated in the least. I think 5E will suffer the fate of trying to please everyone but pleasing no one.

Ah well, it was nice knowing you D&D. Long live Pathfinder/Numenera/13th Age/Dungeon World/Burning Wheel/etc!

My gaming group is still playing Pathfinder, but I want to eventually do a Numenera game. I think the PF DM, however, prefers Pathfinder/3E since he has an easier time of min-maxing and power-gaming his munchkin self-insert quasi-player/NPC character. (He seriously keeps raising our characters' power levels, and I suspect that it has mostly to do with boosting his and his spouse's characters.)

Also, in case people did not see it: Monte Cook Games announced a new Numenera character options supplement that will be added to the list. It will be released in May. I will be waiting on this before trying to make a concerted effort to GM a Numenera game.

I haven't heard about 13th Age before this thread - it seems pretty good. I already promised my friends to DM an Eberron game some time soon, let's see if I can convince them to play it with 13th Age :D

So that Mage 20th Anniversary Kickstarter is pretty sweet.

Though $35 for a PDF is a bit steep. I'll have to think about this one...

I have a hard time imagining 5E making a serious dent, but then again, I've mostly been ignoring the online fandom since 3E died and 4E came out... and died. That said, $50 for a core book is really not that abnormal. The pathfinder core book costs $50 (less if you buy it at Amazon, but the paizo site has it listed at 49.99), there were plenty of semi-vanity, extremely expensive releases during 3E and the old Warhammer 2E books were usually incredibly thin and cost almost twice as much as similarly sized books from other companies. So, to me, it comes down to page count and content. The PF core book is worth it because it crams the DMG and PHB into one beefy piece of dead-tree. If the 5E book is going to be something similar and not just an update of previous PHB's, then it might not be too bad.

Archived