Cercei and Taena

OK, we know thatTaena was playing Cersei, whether for her own advancement or as a spy for the Tyrrells, possibly both. But in the Myrish Swamp scene where Taena was roaring her head off, was it for real or was she faking it, like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally?

I don't think it really matters, Taena might be or might not be spying on Cersei for the Tyrells(or someone), but whether or not she enjoyed doesn't really change the fact is she is or not playing Cersei, Honestly, Cersei came off a bit rough to me, it almost sounded like she wanted to hurt Taena, maybe thats how Taena likes it. :dunno: Whatever.

OK, we know thatTaena was playing Cersei, whether for her own advancement or as a spy for the Tyrrells, possibly both. But in the Myrish Swamp scene where Taena was roaring her head off, was it for real or was she faking it, like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally?

I actually have the theory that Taena was pretending Cersei was Robert in that scene. So, ironically, as Cersei fingered Taena and tried to imagine herself as Robert, Taena was imagining Cersei as Robert as well.

There is a theory on these boards that Taena was at one point Robert's mistress, and that her little boy is Robert's bastard. Personally, I think it fits very well with what we know about Taena, her husband, her marriage, and her interactions with Cersei.

Hints that Taena was Robert's mistress for a time and Robert fathered her son include:

1. In 8 years of marriage, the 23-year-old Taena has produced one son, aged 8. Being a gorgeous young woman, it is surprising that her husband is not more diligent in his attentions, and that Taena is not more fertile. Perhaps Lord Merryweather's seed is weak, but still, the baby at the beginning of the marriage seems somewhat strange.

2. The marriage to Lord Horton seems like a sham. It goes without saying that Lady Merryweather obviously married Horton for his money. However, he does not seem much interested in her either when we see the two interact. And it is unusual that in eight years, his gorgeous young wife has only borne him one child, at the very beginning of their marriage.

One idea is that Horton is gay or impotent, and that the marriage is mostly a sham. (I hold the gay theory myself, because while Taena, Horton, and Cersei are all dining together with the Blue Bard, it is noted that "Lord Horton kept stealing glances at the singer." People have suggested that Lord Merryweather was merely apprehensive about what was to come; however, his reaction to Cersei's accusations suggest that he did not know about them beforehand. So Horton was merely checking out a handsome young man, rather than looking at his gorgeous wife.)

Why would Taena and Horton be in a show marriage? One idea is that Taena was impregnated by a very important, powerful man who could afford to get a guy to clean up his mess by marrying his old mistress off to someone with money and some power. Robert is such a man. And though Robert generally threw women away like old rags after using them, Taena's slightly higher status, as well as her stunning looks and sensual charm, may have made Robert more fond and generous than he usually was with his mistresses. Hence his going through the trouble to find Taena a well born, fake husband.

Horton was down on his luck and would have gratefully accepted a favor from the king in exchange for marrying his discarded mistress.

3. Obvious but worth mentioning-- Taena is drop dead gorgeous and oozes sex appeal. All around her, male and female, notice it. It would have been hard (heee) for king Bob, the horniest son of a bitch in Westeros, to ignore a woman like Taena.

4. The idea that Tanea is gay does not really correspond with the idea about her man with black hair and a scar, whom Taena mentions to Cersei. (Also, her comment that "I did not come to my husband's bed a maid entire" goes along well with the idea that she was Bob's mistress before he had Orton take her off his hands.)

Furthermore, though Cersei thinks she cunningly "got the truth out of" Taena by getting her drunk, the fact that Cersei thinks she did something clever pretty much indicates the opposite. Taena's words to Cersei that her first lover was "black haired and almost a pirate" may be false.

However, Taena's statement that the man had black hair and a scar could easily be true-- Robert surely has a large scar on his chest from the wounds he acquired during the war of the usurper. "Scars make a man more interesting," Taena says. Perhaps she was in a position to look at the ones on Robert's chest.

5. Taena's refusal to bring her son anywhere near Cersei. There are numerous explanations for this, including Taena realizing Cersei is a loose Cannon. However, it also could be that if Cersei saw Taena's son, she'd realize who his father was.

6. Cersei's reflections that Taena is "her only true friend" etc. make it likely that Taena is playing her and betraying her in a big way.

7. Cersei unquestioningly buys into Taena's act that she desires Cersei, and vainly assumes that Taena's very showy sexual attraction to her is genuine. It seems as though it is very likely an act, and that Taena was trained in the Shae school of fake sexual pleasure. Thus, in a way, Taena is playing Cersei in a way that Cersei has played so many men before her. Cersei thinks she's in control and has Tanea under her thumb, but Tanea is merely gritting her teeth and doing whatever it takes to get into Cersei's good graces.

Does it matter :dunno:

It's interesting, because it feeds into the question of just how much Cersei is being played-- just how much a woman with some cunning has lost all judgement to her hubris and high opinion of herself.

She thinks she can surely trust Taena and has her under her thumb, that that is not really the case.

Furthermore, it is interesting speculating who, exactly, Taena is working for. The Tyrells are possible, but I'd say Littlefinger.

Also, Cersei sees Tanea as her one and only true friend, and so the audience can once again laugh at Cersei's stupidity/ lack of perception.

Oh, and:

where Taena was roaring her head off, was it for real or was she faking it, like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally?

To paraphrase the great movie: "I'll have what she's Taena's having!"

• 5 months later...

It's interesting, because it feeds into the question of just how much Cersei is being played-- just how much a woman with some cunning has lost all judgement to her hubris and high opinion of herself.

She thinks she can surely trust Taena and has her under her thumb, that that is not really the case.

Furthermore, it is interesting speculating who, exactly, Taena is working for. The Tyrells are possible, but I'd say Littlefinger.

Also, Cersei sees Tanea as her one and only true friend, and so the audience can once again laugh at Cersei's stupidity/ lack of perception.

Oh, and:

To paraphrase the great movie: "I'll have what she's Taena's having!"

Actually I was wondering who Taena was spying for:

possibilities:

Varys-but he seems to use children exclusively

The Tyrells (her husband is from the Reach)

But I suppose you are right and it is Littlefinger, since otherwise her exposure of Senelle makes no sense (ie why would she have revealed Senelle as a Tyrell spy), where as if she is Littlefinger's spy then exposing a Tyrell spy would be a good way to prove her loyalty, prey on Cersei's paranoia, and remove competition.

Unless Senelle was Littlefinger's spy...But I think because Littlefinger is in the Vale he would need someone literate to correspond with, where as the Tyrells in KL can use an illiterate maid.

Although why Taena would want to spy for Littlefinger...

edit:

another possibility is the Martells, since she is Myrish and Mellario of Norvos might have known her, Myr is certainly closer to Dorne than you might think... but it's a long shot.

Edit.

What chapter did Taena and Cersei have that rather disturbing sex scene anyway?

Taena + Robert is interesting. However, if she is in fact a spy of Litteflinger, her child could be Littlefingers as well(or still Robert's , but she's talking littlefinger). He is great grandson to a bravosi sellsword. So not a pirate, but it's in his lineage. He definitely has a scar, and dark hair, and it wouldn't be his first bastard. He also has a history of acquiring exotic women for his whorehouses and probably has contacts in essos. There's also that line about 'whore houses not sinking' that again reminds me of the pirate theme.

• 1 month later...

Taena + Robert is interesting. However, if she is in fact a spy of Litteflinger, her child could be Littlefingers as well(or still Robert's , but she's talking littlefinger). He is great grandson to a bravosi sellsword. So not a pirate, but it's in his lineage. He definitely has a scar, and dark hair, and it wouldn't be his first bastard. He also has a history of acquiring exotic women for his whorehouses and probably has contacts in essos. There's also that line about 'whore houses not sinking' that again reminds me of the pirate theme.

I thought Littlefinger doesn't sleep with anybody but Lysa (and, he thinks, Catelyn)? Just on this I discount Littlefinger as the father. Unless someone knows something I dont?

Love it! Have never heard the Robert theory before.

It would be ironic that since Cersei despises Robert, Taena was involved with him. The black hair and scar. And for someone that wants to ingratiate themselves it would be a plus to bring your son to have him become best buds with Tommen. But Taena doesn't bring her son, and I think she doesn't seem to want to mention it much, or that was the impression I got. And Cersei had many of Robert's kids killed, so it would be a kicker that this boy slips by her too. Everything said above pretty much fits.

Not sure it could be LF. Not sure I am feeling that. Plus, it is just better if it is Robert, storywise.

There is a theory on these boards that Taena was at one point Robert's mistress, and that her little boy is Robert's bastard. Personally, I think it fits very well with what we know about Taena, her husband, her marriage, and her interactions with Cersei.

Hints that Taena was Robert's mistress for a time and Robert fathered her son include:

3. Obvious but worth mentioning-- Taena is drop dead gorgeous and oozes sex appeal. All around her, male and female, notice it. It would have been hard (heee) for king Bob, the horniest son of a bitch in Westeros, to ignore a woman like Taena.

4. The idea that Tanea is gay does not really correspond with the idea about her man with black hair and a scar, whom Taena mentions to Cersei. (Also, her comment that "I did not come to my husband's bed a maid entire" goes along well with the idea that she was Bob's mistress before he had Orton take her off his hands.)

Furthermore, though Cersei thinks she cunningly "got the truth out of" Taena by getting her drunk, the fact that Cersei thinks she did something clever pretty much indicates the opposite. Taena's words to Cersei that her first lover was "black haired and almost a pirate" may be false.

However, Taena's statement that the man had black hair and a scar could easily be true-- Robert surely has a large scar on his chest from the wounds he acquired during the war of the usurper. "Scars make a man more interesting," Taena says. Perhaps she was in a position to look at the ones on Robert's chest.

5. Taena's refusal to bring her son anywhere near Cersei. There are numerous explanations for this, including Taena realizing Cersei is a loose Cannon. However, it also could be that if Cersei saw Taena's son, she'd realize who his father was.

while this theory is amazing and would be so cool, didn't the prophecy state that robert would have 16 children and all 16 have been accounted for to the reader? or are some still "missing"?

Archived