What was the basis for Gendrys anger in the brothel?

HouseLancaster

Just re-readin the books again, and it occurred to me that Gendrys anger towards Ayra at that Inn comes a little out of left field.

Before hand, as far as I could tell, the pair were on good terms and hadn't had a crossed on the whole word in the book-

they then enter this 'Inn with girls' where Gendry interupts some guy trying to pick up Ayra saying she is his sister. Ayra, who either hasn't understood what has happened or who doesn't like the thought of been related to Gendry, asks him why said that, reminding him that they aren't siblings. Gendry responds saying something like (of course!) she's too high born be his sister or that he's to lowly for her or something, then quite forcefully he tells her to go away.

I know Gendry has always been a bit weary of their difference in status, he also seemed to always scoff at the idea of going to the Starks (where surely he'd have a better life) - but it's never been an obstacle between them. His attitude flip seemed a bit... I don't know, badly written or inconsistant perhaps, for me. Have I missed something? Or are we supposed to think Gendry is just still in a bad mood from the girl who hit on him (and even that was a bit strange) prior to this?

It's not that important, and I think that's why it bugs me, cause it's not that important a scene and yet the confict has been put in there (I don't even think this spat contributed to his decision to leave Ayra). It's probably just a detail I've missed but does anyone have a take on this? Thanks

It's been awhile since I read the book but I took the scene as follows:

Gendry digs him some Arya, and Arya has a little thing for Gendry. Both are young, a little jealous and dont understand their crushes so they lash out with anger. Gendry's weariness with their status difference is more a depression from feeling like he isnt good enough for her.

Basically, the scene where the girl showed interest in Gendry, Gendry was angry that Arya didnt seem to care. When he says he is Arya's brother, it is because he doesnt want someone else showing interest in her, but then gets insulted when she makes a stink over it and is just reminded of his perceived shortcoming in societal status.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the response ...yeah, I see what you're saying. It still seems a little out of character for me. Their story isn't really anything like a romance and I always read Gendrys depression being to do with that he's of royal blood and deep down is frustraited cos he feels he should be something more. Bit like Jon Snow needing to be a leader as well. And, Gendry is old enough to understand his crush, also...

Basically, the scene where the girl showed interest in Gendry, Gendry was angry that Arya didnt seem to care.

...I certainly didn't see anything there to insinuate this.

By saying he was her brother he was basically protecting a vulnerable 11 year old from an older man looking to have his way her.

But anyway if romance was the general idea Martin was going for with this bit, I suppose it answers my query. The idea hasn't gone anywhere since tho.

Thanks for the response ...yeah, I see what you're saying. It still seems a little out of character for me. Their story isn't really anything like a romance and I always read Gendrys depression being to do with that he's of royal blood and deep down is frustraited cos he feels he should be something more. Bit like Jon Snow needing to be a leader as well. And, Gendry is old enough to understand his crush,

Old enough to understand he has a crush, yes. But that doesnt mean he is mature enough to understand how to go about it.

...I certainly didn't see anything there to insinuate this.

By saying he was her brother he was basically protecting a vulnerable 11 year old from an older man looking to have his way her.

But anyway if romance was the general idea Martin was going for with this bit, I suppose it answers my query. The idea hasn't gone anywhere since tho.

You're referencing something different from what you quoted me saying here.

I took at it as he didnt want someone else getting close with her (and did of course want to protect her) but was too shy about his feelings to blurt out "boyfriend" so he chose brother.

You're referencing something different from what you quoted me saying here.

No sorry I wasn't. It was a standalone remark. I then moved on to deal with your other point with my next line, but I was too lazy to 'quote' it. I can see where the confusion came in. My point of view was that it was reading too much into it to suggest Gendry was angry that Arya didn't seem to care. I think with some other bits of their relationship, there are aspects to suggest their could be an underlying tension (but not when the whore come on to him).

In the instance where he said they were siblibgs, I took an objective approach - he was looking out for her just as they have been doing since they left King Landing, but you're right - the (un)requited feeling does maybe explain his behaviour better when he's in a bad mood with her. But, if he was so concerned with anyone else getting close to her, would he have left her a chapter or so later...?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the response ...yeah, I see what you're saying. It still seems a little out of character for me. Their story isn't really anything like a romance and I always read Gendrys depression being to do with that he's of royal blood and deep down is frustraited cos he feels he should be something more. Bit like Jon Snow needing to be a leader as well.

Gendry doesn't know that he has royal blood. He has repeatedly stated that he doesn't know his parents.

How old was Arya at this point? I do not think she is old enough to really have a crush on Gendry or want a relationship with him. Gendry is old enough to like her, but is aware of his status in society compared to hers, thus his frustration.

Maybe, or perhaps he felt as though he was losing a friend and was frustrated because of that. From the moment that he found out about her high birth, he must have felt alienated from Arya because the world she belonged to, he could never be a part of.

That scene did contribute to Gendry's decision to leave Ayra.

He was hurt so he lashed out. At that point in the story their relationship was starting to change, both of them started to show something different from their usual brother/sister dynamic (not necessarily romantic but a bit closer to it), so when he tried to protect her (moved by jealousy) and she told him "you're not my brother" he took it as an insult instead of as a sign of a change in how she thinks about him.

Gendry understood that Arya's change to a "real" girl meant that the lady in her look down on him, that he was no longer worthy of her friendship/closeness, he wouldn't stand living in Winterfell being look down upon by her as a Stark lady so he gave up on her and decided to leave her.

Gendry doesn't know that he has royal blood. He has repeatedly stated that he doesn't know his parents.

I know, that's what I meant when I said deep down he feels he should be something more (but obviously he doesn't know why). Its that whole blood will out thing, its an idea that exists in many fantasy scapes. He's got too much of his father in him. Bit like Jon I suppose - desperate to be a leader, to make a difference.

How old was Arya at this point? I do not think she is old enough to really have a crush on Gendry or want a relationship with him. Gendry is old enough to like her, but is aware of his status in society compared to hers, thus his frustration.

Well, I dunno. I and a lot of other boys at my school started having crushes on girls by the time I was 7 (and was fantasising about, NOT HAVING, sex before I was 10) And. I'm sure girls heads were into the idea of kissing, romance and all that before us boys. Though perhaps not mature enough to be thinking about relationships, Arya is without doubt old enough to have a crush. Having said that, I don't know if the notion feeds Ayras "Were not brothers" because she fancied him. Alot of things happens in chapters where she totally missinterprets whats going on.

• 1 month later...

I just took it as a manifestation of Arya's prickly nature. She pushed him away because she doesn't want anyone's help, she wants to be self-sufficient. After all they've been through together, Gendry was offended and snapped back. I was just glad he didn't go have sex with someone who was surely his half sister. This book already as enough incest :P

Archived