How would you rate episode 204?

Ran

How would you rate episode 203?  

441 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 5. I was really expecting something special and it was just meh. The writing this season is weak. They are not explaining anything enough. It's actually a little boring to me. And the episiodes this season are a lot shorter too. What the hell is up with that?

Basically, I am glad I have the books to read and re-read. HBO was dumb for giving something so involved 10 episodes and a little budget. Will we ever see the dragons again? Or more than a .10 second shot of a wolf? Just too much to cover in 10 episodes.

I hope they go more than 3 seasons and I hope things start to turn around big time but I am highly dissapointed in Season 2 so far. Season 1 was exceptional. Nothing is being explained. The writing is weak. The episodes are 10 minutes shorter. Just not good to me.

I honestly think that was an in-joke, because of the English language's phoneme "qu", which is pretty much the only form of "Q" in English--that is, whenever you see a q, with very, very, very, very, very, rare exception, it has a "u" after it, making that "kwa" sound.

So I can just see half the actors and set workers on GOT mistakenly pronouncing it KWARTH, simply because that's what English has taught them to do, and then D&D adding that line in for clarification and a nudge at the crew.

And speaking of that scene, I'm a little surprised at the widespread negative reaction to it. I thought it was one of the best in the show, especially showcasing Dany's desperate situation and the weakness of her position. Emilia Clarke's acting in this scene was spot on. The poor girl has been wandering the desert with little food and less relief for weaks, it doesn't surprise me one bit that she wouldn't be at the top of her game in dealing with a city's ruling class.

I absolutely agree, and couldn't have put it better myself. And this idea of plausibility also applies to LF's proposition to Cat rather than her just 'trusting' Tyrion because in the tv series we dont get POVs and so the thought process behind Cat's trust in Tyrion cannot be justified.

On the whole, I am kind of tired with people judging the series in comparison with the book. Especially with the case of Ros. I mean give it a break already. Imagine going up to GRRM and saying 'yeah well that whole scene with Theon and the captain's daughter on the way to Pyke...yeah, kinda pointless'.

I mean come on! The screen play is a re-interpretation and GRRM is in on the changes. We all know that. Learn to live with it. And judge it as it is and for what it is - a TV show.

My only, and rather shallow criticism, is with the make-up and stylist department. Melissandre is supposed to be mesmerisingly, enchantingly beautiful, van Houten is a veritable goddess in real life, but she looks like a horse in the series. (I am sorry...but that is what it is). Same with Margaery...

Kudos to Emilia Clarke for her acting, Peter Dinklage is a god as usual, and Maisie Williams' expressions were sublime. Liam Cunninham on the other hand wasn't as convincing in the shadow-baby scene as he could have been (kind made the scene look kinda fake, no terror on his face) and the new Mountain isn't as threatening as he was in the first season. Bring that actor back! His character on Spartacus was de-faced (literally), so he should be free now!

As a non-reader (yet) I gave it an 8.

As much flak as the Joffrey scene is receiving count me amongst those that it helped. Up to this point I was aware that Joffrey was an arrogant, narcissistic, cruel and petulant brat. This scene showed me that he is truly a sadist.

Littlefinger seems to have lost all of his guile and finesse I saw in season 1. Now he just blurts out what he knows and what he's thinking. There is no subtly or subterfuge.

I too was confused by the torture scene. I have no idea who the players are or what they are after. I also don't fully understand what Arya's mantra of names was about.

I thought Dany was going to be slaughtered and her dragons simply taken. I presume only The 13's sense of civility prevented it. I am interested to see where that goes.

Tyrion was great as always. Two of my new favorite lines come from that scene:

Tyrion: "Bron, the next time Ser Meryn speaks kill him. That was a threat. See the difference?!"

and

Bron: "There's no cure for being a cunt."

Edited by Fakko

While I liked last week’s better I thought this was a very good episode! Gave it a 9/10.

Thought the conversation with Melisandre and Davos was a bit off before she had the shadow baby…didn’t really see a need for the whole “you want me” thing.

Disappointed about the peach!! I guess the apple he had in his hand with Littlefinger was a nod.

While the Littlefinger visit strays from the books I thought his conversation with Margaery was great and liked his play on words with “interest.” But his conversation with Cat was pretty weak.

I liked Roose Bolton but pictured him with black hair!

Loved Tyrion as always and scene where he rescues Sansa was well done.

Not sure what to think of Talisa/Jeyne but I guess we’ll see where it goes

The Dany scene in Qarth was a bit akward but looking forward to next week

Have never been so glad to see Tywin Lannister! Liked the quick conversation he had with Arya and how he owned all of the Mountain’s Men.

Dany + Qarth was a flopping joke. In the books Dany is shown as a very cunning and persuasive character (the first half of her wilderness treck). It seemed a very poorly written scene where Dany was made to look very small.

I completely disagree. Dany has just been through the Red Waste and is desperate to gain entry into Qarth so that her people won't die. That's why I find the HBO scene to be much more believable than the scene in the books where she meets Quaithe, Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

I completely disagree. Dany has just been through the Red Waste and is desperate to gain entry into Qarth so that her people won't die. That's why I find the HBO scene to be much more believable than the scene in the books where she meets Quaithe, Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

Are you kidding? In the books, the three 'ride out to meet her'. She tels them that they have found the dragons they were seeking. She is then walked through Qarth like Queen. But what do HBO do? They make her a blubbering desperate fool who gets embarrassed infront of her own Khallasar. Yes they are only interested in her dragons but they never stoop to mocking Dany, and Dany knows this but doesnt care because she needs the food. GRRM was the more believable story for me.

I gave it a solid 9/10: I have come to accept that I have been judging the show too harshly b/c of my expectations from the books. The show is not the books, but is based on the books (sometimes a little too loosely) and that the characters are based off of characters in the books. Once that is understood the show is then judged in its proper context.

What Went Right:

1. Harrenhal - it is every bit the house of horrors that I have come to expect

2. Tywin - the way he rode in and took charge from Gregor and his creatures was spectacular and the fear/respect that he commands is absolutely perfect. Putting prisoners to work instead of slaughtering them and recognizing Arya's sex are all classic traits for a man of Tywin's considerable ability.

3. Roose Bolton - A quick insight into the monster that we all know he really is. Roose wanting to torture/flay prisoners and Robb restraining him were both perfectly within character.

4. Robb/Tywin - The comparison and contrast of the two battle commanders leading their armies and reigning in over zealous subordinates was absolutely perfect.

5. Stannis/Renly - The scenes in both of the camps and the parlay between the two was excellent. I really enjoyed Cat putting in her two scents. The actress playing Mel is starting to warm on me. The conversation between Stannis and Davos and the scene with Mel and Davos were both exceptionally well done.

6. Xaro - Nice introduction to him and nice setup between he and Dany. I really like the idea of making him a Summer Islander and the idea of adding some diversity to the show.

7. Joffery - The actor playing Joff is doing one hell of a job. I know some might not like the sexposition but the show is doing a wonderful job of showing viewers what a monster he is.

8. Cat/Little Finger - We get a glimpse of LF's tortured love for Cat and his true nature of always promoting his own interest over all others. The ease with how he lied about Arya was chilling, especially given his true feelings about Cat. This is a departure but a good one.

9. Tyrion - Spectacular as always. The way he handled Joff and Ser Meryn were excellent. A nice departure from the books would be for Bronn to actually kill Ser Meryn. The actor playing to Hound is excellent. You can see that either Sandor has come sense of honor or he actually cares somewhat for Sansa.

What Went Wrong:

1. Ros - Enough of this character please. I know that this is HBO and all, but giving so much screen time to this unimportant character is damaging the integrity of the show.

2. Robb/silent sister - I suppose the writers are setting her up to be Robb's lover interest. This seems like a complete waste and unnecessary departure from one of the main plots of the book. Robb and Jeyne are the catalyst for the Red Wedding. I hope this error is corrected.

3. Little Finger/ Margaery - Once again LF is completely out of character. There is just no way he would openly acknowledge to Marg that he knows of Renly's real proclivities and then make thinly veiled threats. This is terrible injustice to what a true player of the Game of Thrones that LF is. I continue to enjoy Natalie Dormer. We all know how shrewd Margaery is and the actress is bearing it out perfectly.

All in all, a solid episode with much to like and little to really complain off.

Edited by Stallion That Mounts Texas

Are you kidding? In the books, the three 'ride out to meet her'. She tels them that they have found the dragons they were seeking. She is then walked through Qarth like Queen. But what do HBO do? They make her a blubbering desperate fool who gets embarrassed infront of her own Khallasar. Yes they are only interested in her dragons but they never stoop to mocking Dany, and Dany knows this but doesnt care because she needs the food. GRRM was the more believable story for me.

But that's the whole point, LOC. She is a blubbering, desperate fool. Qarth has no reason to admit her. She's starved, decrepit, delirious, and entirely in their power. She has no strength to back her up. Her situation in the scene is completely understandable, as are the 13's reactions.

I don't mind how it went in the book either--I think both scenes would make sense in their own contexts.

2. Robb/silent sister - I suppose the writers are setting her up to be Robb's lover interest. This seems like a complete waste and unnecessary departure from one of the main plots of the book. Robb and Jeyne are the catalyst for the Red Wedding. I hope this error is corrected.

All in all, a solid episode with much to like and little to really complain off.

I don't think she was a silent sister. And are we sure she wasn't Jeyne? I kind of got the impression she was...dunno why.

But even if she isn't, does it matter if she isn't Jeyne and becomes Robb's love interest? The catalyst for the RW is not, as you say, Robb and Jeyne, the catalyst is more Robb and lower-class girl he married in violation of pact with Freys.

I found it to be another disappointing episode. Joff's scene with the whores was unnecessary. They are forcing Littlefinger on us too much. He shouldn't have met with Cat. I hated Dany's entry to Qarth.

I understand how they are combining all of Arya's journeys but it makes it really confusing. Are non readers going to have any idea why captives from the Night's Watch are being asked about gold in villages? Or the brotherhood? Will people remember Yoren's line about saying William every night before bed to associate it with Arya's litany? With Arya as Tywin's cupbearer, it is going to be really hard to believe her not giving his name to Jaqen.

I loved Tyrion's scenes and Renly and Stannis' meeting. Also the shadow baby.

But that's the whole point, LOC. She is a blubbering, desperate fool. Qarth has no reason to admit her. She's starved, decrepit, delirious, and entirely in their power. She has no strength to back her up. Her situation in the scene is completely understandable, as are the 13's reactions.

I don't mind how it went in the book either--I think both scenes would make sense in their own contexts.

I don't think she was a silent sister. And are we sure she wasn't Jeyne? I kind of got the impression she was...dunno why.

But even if she isn't, does it matter if she isn't Jeyne and becomes Robb's love interest? The catalyst for the RW is not, as you say, Robb and Jeyne, the catalyst is more Robb and lower-class girl he married in violation of pact with Freys.

Robb asked for her name and the one she gave was not Jeyne. Also, I'm pretty sure Jeyne is not from Volantis as this girl is.

Additionally, there is the lower-class girl dynamic as you point out, but not an outright commoner. Realistically, High Lords/Kings do not marry common girls and shame powerful allies. If Jeyne was not worth Robb's crown and his life, then surely this girl is even lower on the totem pole. I hate the idea as it makes Robb seem outright stupid instead of young and in love. Taking a castle and meeting a young maid is a stark contrast from meeting some random Volantene girl and falling in love.

Edited by Stallion That Mounts Texas

I gave it a 7.

Pros:

• It had as close to a unified theme that GOT can have. From Jeyne's dressing down of Robb to Joffrey's sadistic torment of whores (that he was not allowed to commit on gently-born Sansa) to Renly's brief mention of the commoners to the common Lannister soldiers at the open to the people being tortured by the Tickler... the effect of the war on the common people was on display. And pretty much every leader -- Tyrion included -- was found lacking. I award no points to Tywin -- that was a pragmatic decision.
  • People have argued the Ros/Joffrey scene was gratuitous. It wasn't to me. Not only does it highlight the above, but it's not just showing the sadistic side of Joffrey but also how he's focusing his anger towards his uncle. This wasn't about pure pain giving Joffrey pleasure -- he saw a way to hurt his uncle and assert himself after being humiliated and he used it. It sets up their conflict much more than even in the book, where Joffrey was younger and more petulant than vicious and angry. I thought that sequence (Sansa through Tyrion/Bronn and the torture) was excellently done.
  • I'm enjoying some of the departures. Not knowing Gendry's book endgame (and knowing it may not be important) made it so that I was somewhat worried for him. It would not be beyond D&D to kill off a likeable but unimportant character that lives in the books just to give a shock to the unshockable.
  • Having Robb have a real romance will be nice. Yes, the opening to it was somewhat stock, but I didn't mind.
  • Catelyn and Littlefinger was fantastic. I know there's probably gnashing over Petyr's differences, but I thought it was fantastic. He may still genuinely have feelings for Cat, but when she shut him down, he seamlessly went back to his next best option -- just like he had felt out Renly for a better option. Michelle Fairley rocked that scene.
  • Shadow Baby was awesome. I know people seem to be complaining about "where are they?" but all those complaints are oddly from book readers. I watched with three non-book readers and while it's off, no one noticed because SHADOW BABY. Davos was great, and their dialogue was excellent.

What could have been done better:

• It's too bad SHADOW BABY was in this ep. I would have loved to see the commoner theme end the episode as well as it started it.
  • Some of the Arya scenes seemed forced. While the Tickler himself was awesome, I think they should have spaced the tortures wider and spent a few days with people being selected, with more recitations, etc. It felt rushed and lacked some of the emotional punch. The sad woman at the beginning felt a bit forced -- honestly, she could have had no lines and I think we could have gotten more.
  • I thought Dany and Jorah were great at Qarth, but man, the other side was terrible and lost me. Xaro's introduction out of nowhere; the manufacture cheesy fantasy invocation of something lame, etc. I like the idea of creating a stronger tie between Xaro and Dany, and Emilia was great playing her last card (and probably a dumb one, but it worked out), but give us more motivation for Xaro. You can think one up easy -- there's upside to taking a chance that she has dragons and you could show rivalry with the Spice King but I didn't see it.
  • Renly and Stannis was okay. I'm not bothered by the lack of explanation of why they are there (nor or how Littlefinger got there so fast) and I don't give a crap about the peach, but I thought it just didn't snap as well as you'd like until the very end, when Stannis threatens them.
  • I would have liked to see Ros bring new Ros back to Tyrion, even at the cost of a nicely done scene with Lancel. It could even serve as motivation for the release of Pycelle -- as Tyrion may start to realize he can't make enemies of both Cersei and Joffrey. But either way I think that would have been great and since the Lancel thing could wait (or never happen), I think it was a missed opportunity.

Robb asked for her name and the one she gave was not Jeyne. Also, I'm pretty sure Jeyne is not from Volantis as this girl is.

Additionally, there is the lower-class girl dynamic as you point out, but not an outright commoner. Realistically, High Lords/Kings do not marry common girls and shame powerful allies. If Jeyne was not worth Robb's crown and his life, then surely this girl is even lower on the totem pole. I hate the idea as it makes Robb seem outright stupid instead of young and in love. Taking a castle and meeting a young maid is a stark contrast from meeting some random Volantene girl and falling in love.

It's whatever they are making of Jeyne. The actress is the same who was publicly announced as "Jeyne" (no last name), and she's obviously giving Robb a fake name and deceptive backstory for some reason. Westerling's grandfather or mother were merchants from Volantis who bought their way into the nobility. I wouldn't be shocked to have Jeyne still be noble but just be doing this because she's a good person. Her Lannister-allied background would be enough to lie to Robb since she'd make a minor hostage, but a hostage none the less.

The :cool4: :

Qarth looks cool (hope to see more)

Harrenhal looks awesome (also see negative)

The Robb scene

Torture with a rat is pretty creative.

Cat getting Ned's bones (though how LF knew she was there is still a mystery)

The :mellow: :

The shadow

The Renly-Stannis meeting (Renly :cool4:, Stannis :frown5: )

Sansa torture scene (too short)

The :frown5: :

The Mountain isn't imposing and the Tickler is a clown (yeah I nitpick, so sue me)

Tyrion-Lancel confrontation

LF hitting on Cat (not cool and so unlike him)

The redcloaks know about Renly+Loras= :love:

The :bang: :

The Joffrey porn

Hope I didn't forget anything. Gave it 6. 7 for the episode, -1 for the porn

PS I wonder how many more creative ways the writers will find to avoid showing us the dragons

Edited by ace

I really liked it! There are some scenes that I didn't like, but those are mostly of the characters that are not that interesting for me..

In the very beginning I got really excited, when those soldiers were sitting, and they've heard something in the dark, and I really thought it would be Nymeria! I mean, I know she is not THAT crucial to the story, but I really want to see her!

And I know that there were many changes, but I love the scene when Tywin rolled into Harenhall, and choose Arya as his cupbearer. Oh, and also, Harenhall looks amazing!

It's also great how you can see Arya kind of evolving. The look on her face when she says: 'Dead people', absolutely great!

Fakko wrote:

As much flak as the Joffrey scene is receiving count me amongst those that it helped. Up to this point I was aware that Joffrey was an arrogant, narcissistic, cruel and petulant brat. This scene showed me that he is truly a sadist.

Also that he's not simply sadistic, he's using the torture to "send a message." Thwart me, Imp? I'll show you!!

He keeps a crossbow in his bedchamber?

Guess he picked that habit up from Granddad . . . !

I wonder if he's actually going to force Ros to kill the other whore? Could be used for more character development . . . life in the big city certainly isn't going the way she imagined. It would also show Joffrey's violence escalating.

Gleeson certainly has some acting chops . . . totally believable in that scene.