Which characters did we lose to soon? End of third book

Steelers7127

Renly, for sure. He's the kind of king I could get behind. (I thought of the pun AFTER I wrote this; don't judge me!)

Very charismatic, demands a lot of loyalty. His lack of respect for the succession though was what did him in.

That was terrible yet hilarious at the same time.

Renly was very charismatic and held the loyalty of those under him very well but I don't think his lack of respect for succession did him in. I think it was his lack

of action. I thought from the start he should have gone straight and quickly for Kings Landing and took it. It would have been incredibly easy with the amount of men he had compared to the puny amount of defenders.

With Kings Landing taken and Joffrey and many others either dead or hostages it would have been hard for the Lannisters to continue fighting against Robb in the north and Renly in the east. Once done he could have

turned his attention back to his brother Renly dallied and so had to face his brother first. Most people didn't seem to care about succession or who had the right to the throne. I totally agree that we lost him too early. I liked him

quite a bit. He seemed like someone who would have made a good peacetime king and leader. Robb and Stannis seemed more like Kings who were good in the field but would have trouble actually ruling during peace.

Oop sorry for the block of text!!!

I don't think Renly made any mistakes. (Of course I don't. He was my favorite before he died.) He went slow because he held court at every crossroads, but that meant he had all the smallfolk behind him. As far as I'm concerned he was killed in cold blood, not fair at all.

I don't think Renly made any mistakes. (Of course I don't. He was my favorite before he died.) He went slow because he held court at every crossroads, but that meant he had all the smallfolk behind him. As far as I'm concerned he was killed in cold blood, not fair at all.

Renly was cheated, I agree. I know it was Stannis shadow, but do you think Stannis knew it happened? The next morning he seemed genuinely sad about his brothers death, talking about the peach. Or he was just in denial trying to cover it up. I like to think Mel has corrupted Stannis, and that was all her doing, but maybe that's because I'm a Stannis fan. What do you think?

I don't think he knew. I don't think he planned it. But how does Mel make those shadow monsters *hint hint*? He must have some idea she uses dark magic. I think if Stannis could look objectively at Mel and not feel so entitled, he would see that she is corrupt. Then maybe he could piece together that she killed Renly, but he doesn't really want to do that, and lose his favorite witch.

• 2 weeks later...

THE RED VIPER OBERYN MARTELL. This actually makes me angry. The way he died and the fact that he was so AWESOME and was only in for part of one book makes me angry at GRRM. If anyone should be resurrected it's this guy!

The Hound (maybe?)

Robb

Lysa (JK! Glad she died)

Definitely Oberyn Martell. He is an awesome character - interesting, intriguing and exotic. I absolutely wanted to read more about him. Till the moment he showed I didn't care much about Dorne. Now I've recently began to read AFFC and I have to say I'm pretty happy to see more Dornish characters and to learn more about their culture.

I felt from the beginning that Ygritte was doomed somehow. She just didn't fit permanently to Jon's character. They were cute together, but her only task was to help him develop more of his personal qualities. He wouldn't have been a full character without never felt something for a woman and being with one. As far the book developed, she became more of a liability. So I felt sorry for her, but thought she left us just in time.

I knew that was also the case with Robb. If he was still alive, he would be still kicking a***s all over Westeros. But still I wouldn't mind to have more of Robb's great strategic decisions and winning battels.

Lyana-

I'm over 100 pages into AFFC now too and I am actually really enjoying the time spent in Dorne. But everytime I think of these books I get pissed off at GRRM all over again about the Red Viper haha. He's almost like Ned Stark in his role in the series....to die and push someone else into war. Let's hope Dorne actually does something meaningful and worthwhile as a result.

I agree about Ygritte as well. She was a good character and important to Jon's development, but it would have been a heinous mistake for GRRM to keep her with Jon past their time over the wall. I'm extremely happy he chose to kill her as he did.

Yes I wish we still had Robb kicking Lannister ass but I knew he was in trouble as soon as his forces started deserting him to harvest their crops after they took Riverrun. It was like he lost more forces or something bad happened to him everytime we saw him. That leads me to believe he eventually would have fallen/been captured in battle eventually. His forces were dwindling left and right.

• 2 weeks later...

GRRM killed my two most favorite characters, and that's why I like A Storm of Sword so much, so I couldn't really say 'too soon', but rather 'I would have liked to read more about them'.

#1 Lord Tywin Lannister - a stupid and ludicrous death; you would have expected something more 'grand' for such a shrewd man. But that's precisely why it is great; because it is so anticlimactic.

#2 Prince Oberyn Nymeros Martell. Tyrion's trial by combat his to my the best chapter in the books. And his death is indeed epic and grand - and that after Oberyn himself stated "Lord Gargalen once told me he hoped to die with a sword in his hand, to which I replied that I would sooner go with a breast in mine." Again, the tragic irony of it!

Red Viper's definitely at the top. Robb's death was a heavy blow, mainly because he seemed to be so good (for a teenager after all) at grasping the concept of honor and courage that his dad stood for. I thought that GRRM would kill Catelyn at some point because it would serve as growing pains for Robb (who of course had some already), but I'm not sure what his death was meant for, if anything. I'm also sad that we couldn't have more of Syrio Forel (assuming he's really dead), Maester Luwin (such a huge source of knowledge about Westeros), and Renly (his charm and charisma could have won over the people of Westeros).

His death was spirited on by the leeches full of Edric storm's blood. remember Melisadre's ritual a few chapters ahead of the RW?

Sadly Robb was only acting for his followers because they are the ones that crowned him King in the North. Sad to say he didn't really want it.

• 1 month later...

I liked Halfhand, he was minor but a cool companion. I also liked Yoren, he was brash and rude, but you know he wouldve been there for Arya the whole way.

Also, too many of Arya's prayer-characters are dying without Arya being able to get her tongue wet from either vengeance or insight.

Being an Arya fan, I liked Syrio Forel, but I'm not convinced he's dead. I have a theory that him and Jaqen H'gar are the same person.

• 3 months later...

Also, too many of Arya's prayer-characters are dying without Arya being able to get her tongue wet from either vengeance or insight.

Being an Arya fan, I liked Syrio Forel, but I'm not convinced he's dead. I have a theory that him and Jaqen H'gar are the same person.

Agreed about Arya not getting to exact vengeance on her prayer list, but maybe she and Cersei will have a confrontation that will answer Arya's prayers. And technically she kind of did "kill" the Hound.

Also, your theory about Syrio being Jaqen sounds great, but I don't think it's true.

I wish Cat had met up with at least one of her children or found out they were still alive, it would have been such an emotional reunion. I now hope that she doesn't meet up with any of them because that would be too freaky (although after what them poor Stark kids have been through maybe it wouldn't be that bad!)

For me it was the Red Viper. I was really starting to like him, because of his sense of justice, his wit and his open way of speaking. He was one of the best warriors in the Seven Kingdoms and I really thought he would put and end to the life of the scumbag Gregor Clegane. He could have just killed him, but he waited too long and then the Mountain killed him in a brutal and craven way. He could have set Tyrion free and everything would be better, but that's the way Martin writes... Just so frustrating, yeah he died way too soon...

The Red Wedding was definitely hard for me to read and very sad, but I really didn't like Catelyn that much, mainly because of her attitude towards Jon. And Robb never had a POV so I never really got too much into him, and he was absent from the almost the entire time in Clash so...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived