HBO Selects Emmy Award Submissions

Westeros

I'm happy with most nominations, but Kit hasn't had that much screen time and his performance has been good, but to have a real chance he should have had more screen time or some really powerful scenes. Charles Dance or Nikolaj should have been nominated IMO.

And the same goes for Sophie, she was great but Sansa has been "absent" most of the season if we compare her screentime with Maisie, Michelle or Lena. Hopefully in s3 she will have more screentime.

I'm happy with most nominations, but Kit hasn't had that much screen time and his performance has been good, but to have a real chance he should have had more screen time or some really powerful scenes. Charles Dance or Nikolaj should have been nominated IMO.

And the same goes for Sophie, she was great but Sansa has been "absent" most of the season if we compare her screentime with Maisie, Michelle or Lena. Hopefully in s3 she will have more screentime.

The difference for me in these is that, although I love Kit, his short amount of time on the screen was good... But didn't seem like enough for a nomination, not yet. He has potential in seasons coming up.

Sophie though, I feel like every time she was on screen she did a fabulous job. I'm okay with her nomination (and really all the women).

I don't know why HBO bothers to put RIchard Madden in for submission. It's highly unlikely, since he has very little screen time, and no meaty scenes that could warrant an award. He plays Robb well, though. Either Dinklage or Alfie deserve Best Supporting Actor, and Maisie Williams for Best Supporting Actress. Though I want GoT to win more than just acting awards. I want it to win some cinematography awards or eve Best Drama series. I think people focus too much on the acting portion, and not at the series as a whole.

Though I want GoT to win more than just acting awards. I want it to win some cinematography awards or eve Best Drama series. I think people focus too much on the acting portion, and not at the series as a whole.

I don't think it has much of a chance with Best Drama while Mad Men is around.

Gold Derby has a mass of pictures and details concerning HBO’s “for your consideration” package that they’ve sent out to the 15,000-strong Academy of Television Arts & Sciences to help provide material for them to decide their Emmy nominations. Of particular note to fans will be the Game of Thrones actors and actresses that HBO has submitted for consideration with the academy:

[*]Best Actor/Actress: None. Which is interesting, to say the least. Is it because the ensemble cast suggests there’s no single lead actor? That’s fair enough, but it does seem strange to not have Dinklage here when he’s now heading the credits…

I wonder who figures that out? Since there are plenty of HBO shows that have a definitive lead, and in GOT's case it seems plain that Dinklage is.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to list Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke as leads , even if they are never nominated.

HBO decides, and in this case I think it's largely strategic. Leave the best actor and actress categories clear for Boardwalk Empire, while the more ensemble GoT is in the supporting categories.

HBO decides, and in this case I think it's largely strategic. Leave the best actor and actress categories clear for Boardwalk Empire, while the more ensemble GoT is in the supporting categories.

I can see that, there some pretty big hitters this year, but you know I would put up Peter against the lot, even if he did not win, and that lot of actors would welcome him.

I wish they would push Alfie Allen hard this year - Peter Dinklage is great, but I hate the way it seems like once someone is set in people's minds as "the" person for a show in a category, it's hard for someone else from that show to get their due. To me, AA gave by far the standout performance this year and it makes me sad that he probably has no chance for a nomination. I hope I'm wrong.

What great actress is featured in Boardwalk Empire, pray? Kelly MacDonald is certainly very talented, but they didn't give her much good material in season two, so I can't see her winning an Emmy. Lena or Maisie got as good a shot as any this year as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose neither of them had enough screentime to merit a lead actress nomination.

No question that dinklage, Allen, Williams, and turner all deserve a nomination for their work in S02.

Who I felt was snubbed were Cunningham and hill.

Honorable mentions bein, dillane, and dance.

Who I dot believe deserve it are madden and Harrington. S03 gives them both a good opportunity to be rightfully nominated, but they weren't given the best material to work with in S02.

Same thing goes for NCW. He is fantastic every time he is on screen, but he was barely in S02. S03 should give him a great opportunity to be nominated though as well.

What great actress is featured in Boardwalk Empire, pray? Kelly MacDonald is certainly very talented, but they didn't give her much good material in season two, so I can't see her winning an Emmy. Lena or Maisie got as good a shot as any this year as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose neither of them had enough screentime to merit a lead actress nomination.

It would be strange to push Lena Headey for Lead Actress when Peter Dinklage, who has more screentime, is only being pushed for Supporting Actor.

So no

Jack Gleeson?

That's shocking. He's one of the few actors who truly epitomizes his role. I don't see Jack Gleeson up there pretending to be a sociopathic young king. I see Joffrey Baratheon. How can you leave him out and yet keep Kit Harrington, who seemed to spend most of S2 with the same dumbstruck expression on his face?

How can you leave him out and yet keep Kit Harrington, who seemed to spend most of S2 with the same dumbstruck expression on his face?

I find Harington pretty wooden, but any time I mention this IRL to other viewers, the response is "but he's so pretty." To be fair, my assessment is probably based on wanting him to do something with that purty, purty mouth besides pout, so...

Gleeson is excellent, but he's no Alfie Allen.

Hrm... weird. HBO suggested a bunch of supporting actors and actresses -- GOT, BE, and True Blood. Their only best actress recommendation was Anna Paquin, while Buscemi, Hoffman, and Moyer were the best actor suggestions.

They really crowded the field for supporting actors and actresses, in a way which I don't think they did last year. Makes me wonder a bit if it's going to back fire.

Gleeson is excellent, but he's no Alfie Allen.

Really? I know Joffrey is pretty much a one-note character and doesn't have Theon's range & inner-turmoil, but I don't see why that should take anything away from a seamless performance. In S2 E1, when Sansa tells him he can't kill Dontos: That "...What did you say?" carried such a subtle terror to it. I don't know what it says about Gleeson but he was born for this role.

Alfie Allen was a big-hitter last season but I think his acting was also quite wobbly in places, only he manages to get away with it due to Theon's character. If that makes sense.

Really? I know Joffrey is pretty much a one-note character and doesn't have Theon's range & inner-turmoil, but I don't see why that should take anything away from a seamless performance. In S2 E1, when Sansa tells him he can't kill Dontos: That "...What did you say?" carried such a subtle terror to it. I don't know what it says about Gleeson but he was born for this role.

Alfie Allen was a big-hitter last season but I think his acting was also quite wobbly in places, only he manages to get away with it due to Theon's character. If that makes sense.

Lena Headey humanized Cersei for me, made her seem less one-note - I could see how she got to be who she was. Gleeson is great at doing the villain thing, but he's inspired no sympathy. Part of it is the writing, but I think it's telling that the performance doesn't make me want the character to be better. Alfie Allen consistently makes me want better for/from Theon. The same for Headey and Cersei (more S1 than S2). The dude who plays Stannis has actually made me root for a character I still loathe in the books. I would like to say that for Gleeson. I just can't.

Lena Headey humanized Cersei for me, made her seem less one-note - I could see how she got to be who she was. Gleeson is great at doing the villain thing, but he's inspired no sympathy. Part of it is the writing, but I think it's telling that the performance doesn't make me want the character to be better. Alfie Allen consistently makes me want better for/from Theon. The same for Headey and Cersei (more S1 than S2). The dude who plays Stannis has actually made me root for a character I still loathe in the books. I would like to say that for Gleeson. I just can't.

But that's the point! You're not supposed to sympathize with the evil brat. You love to hate the guy, and that's what true villains are all about! Gleeson pulls this off with aplomb.

I'm not particularly a fan of HBO's Cersei. I think they've tried way too hard to sanitize her ugly side, what with losing her child with Robert, making Joffrey the babykiller, to having her slap and lament her son (to Tyrion of all people) yet expecting us to believe she's the blindly over-protective mother all at the same time. Her character feels all over the place, to me, because they want to keep the bitchiness whilst making Headey more appealing to the audience.

I've always found it hard to warm to Theon, in general. The man is deserving of little to no sympathy and Alfie Allen's performance doesn't change that. He betrayed the people who raised him, the people who trusted him, killed defenceless fishermen and raped their daughters, butchered two innocent children and their mother and then murdered his own men to cover the truth. Why are we feeling sorry for this loser again?

I should note that it doesn't make Theon's story any less compelling, and I actually found some of his chapters in ACOK (and ADWD) to be among my faves.

Archived