[Book Spoilers] What did you think of Roose Bolton?

teemo

Agree with what the concensus seems to be. He definitely looks the part (I agree with the choice to hold off on him wearing pink), but the voice could have been done better. I always had a very specific idea as to what Roose would sound like, and that definitely was not it. Good casting nonetheless I suppose.

My immediate impression of him was somewhat hampered by my own questions about why he was there on the battlefield next to Robb. Nonetheless I do think he fit the role perfectly. It did seem to be a very subtle introduction to the character; I'm curious if tv-only viewers really thought much of him at all.

Voice was spot on.... i felt myself straining to listen, which is exactly as Roose Bolton should be.

I always envisioned Roose a little taller, a little younger looking and a little more fancy. But the actor they have is superb, no complaints.

Thought he was really good. Didn't mind that he wasn't in pink at this stage. I thought they had him looking slightly ill (possibly a nod to leeches and being pale, etc.) and the eyes were great! In my head he had a quieter voice, but still in the same tone as the actor. I get why they changed these minor things for television though. Looking forward to seeing how they develop him in the show.

He looked pale and gaunt, and that says leeches.

I thought it was great casting, and as previously said the volume level of his voice was appropriate.

I wonder how long before non-book viewers get what Flaying is? :stillsick:

Not meaning that in a condescending way, but it's not exactly a common word or used in any modern day context.

To those who think they're going to merge Roose/Ramsay...I don't think so. Only because you have to remember that during Season 4(?) we will lose two of the biggest villains on the show: Joffrey and Tywin. That leaves a huge gap in the "people we love to hate" quotient. So I think fitting in Roose AND Ramsay will be necessary.

Thought "Bloody hell, that's Roose"! Expected the pink, I also envisioned him as slightly flabby... "That's Roose Bolten!" I said to hubby the non-reader who just shrugged and sort of rolled his eyes in that 'my wife's crazy' kind of way he has. It sounded lame to explain that he's a very important character later on but there you go such is my fate as an avid reader shacked up with a non-reader...

Really liked the look of the actor they chose and look forward to seeing enough to judge his acting; I'm hoping the volume of his voice was situational, because for a strolling war council amidst a bloody battlefield he could hardly have been whispering.

I hope that when inside and in a more suitable situation, his volume is a little more hushed.

I liked the actor so far, I pictured Roose to be a little older and smaller but the actor's demeanor and gaze seem to be perfect. He fit the pale eyes bill well enough for film, and had a creepy dead stare as he was trying to talk Robb into getting some Tickler type action going on the prisoners. From the Reek chapters there was a lot of focus on Roose's eyes from Theon, and I think they got it right here.

The voice volume being normal makes sense for film, as long as they keep it that level of emotionless I think it will have a close enough effect.

It was a low key introduction, but I think that is very fitting and right from the books. At first Roose really doesn't stand out much from the other bannermen who aren't Greatjon or Walder Frey, only later on does he start to grow and become a bigger and bigger villainous figure until he is right up there with Cersei.

Great casting; there wasn't a lot of him yet, but just to see him talking so calmly about flaying men alive, even a non-reader will understand this guy is dangerous.

Bravo. Roose may not have been softspoken enough if u want to nitpick but his nonchalance about flaying and killing off captives did it for me. Even though Roose wasn't at that battle, i think they did a fantastic job introducing him.

I look forward to a lot more roose over the next few seasons, sooner the better

First opinion of Roose Bolton was; that can't be him (i.e. no pink coloring anywhere or soft spoken speech), but I guess he will do. Now as for the aforementioned line about 'flayed men', I did like that little bit of the Bolton way of doing things. Wouldn't it have been even sweeter to hear him say that the wounded soldier in that scene; "Should be treated with leeches, to cure any bad blood he may have had". Now that would truely have been a proper Roose Bolton appearance :drunk:

Roose Bolton looked good. Very short time but looked like a very good casting choice.

I wonder if they will merge his and Ramsey's character in the show ?

I would hate it, because I really think Ramsay is what makes me so interested in Roose's character, plus I think that actor would be great in expressing Roose's weird sociopathic regret about Ramsay. That being said the show is already almost at critical character melt-down.

Archived