[Book Spoilers] What did you think of Roose Bolton?

teemo

That was not the episode or the way to introduce a character as substanial as Roose Bolton. Why couldn't he have been included in the final two episodes of season one?

Because they did not know how the show woud do.

When I first saw the shot of him walking with Robb I thought, "Is that the Blackfish?" It wasn't until the closeup and he began to talk that I realized it was Roose. The actor definitely had a creepiness to him. It will be interesting to see where they take him since Ramsay isn't around.

Has it been stated that they mean to drop Ramsey?

I have to keep seeing this actor who is playing Roose Bolton more. I'm not sure if he is the right casting but time will tell.....

Honestly I always picture Anthony Hopkins to play Roose Bolton....I mean from the movie "Silence of the Lambs", as Lecter he has some of Roose in there maybe it's just met.

I think this actor is quite suitable. But I had always wanted Malfoy aka the Captain in the Patroit movie who killed Heath Ledger aka Jason Isaacs to play Roose Bolton. The best villain actor for the best villain character, I say!

Wow that actor Jason Issac was a good choice for playing the villian in 'The Patriot'. One of the best bad guys in a movie, he would make a nicer Roose Bolton

• 5 months later...

My immediate impression of him was somewhat hampered by my own questions about why he was there on the battlefield next to Robb. Nonetheless I do think he fit the role perfectly. It did seem to be a very subtle introduction to the character; I'm curious if tv-only viewers really thought much of him at all.

Yes I was bothered about that too but then I remembered that his first appearances in the books are not exactly glorious. He was only a creepy bannerman, apparently not really invested in the mail conflict. By A Clash of Kings the Boltons started their ascend being constantly mentioned until the time he captures Harrenhall and then we have a detailed description of the character that practically screams to the reader that this "new" guy is dangerous and is being set up to play a major role.

I think the introduction fit Roose very well. With him everything is about being subtle and not attracting too much attention. I think the viewers will be more surprised that the cool semi-background character will gain such prominence. I saw mimes explaining who is who in AGOT (which has lots of characters, of course) and defining Joffrey, for example, as the worst king, Stannis as the douche king and Theon as "the other Robb". Obviously they didn't read the series and probably aren't very avid watchers. Then we get to Roose Bolton and it simply says: "who the hell is this guy?" I was pissed but that's the effect the producers wanted to make, IMO. Roose just needs to be a bit unsettling given he is a guy on the "good" side suggesting his king to kill or torture simple soldiers for information. He delivers the common words about his house just to illustrate. Roose should not scream evil by every pore. Everything else do it for him (his House, the Flayed Man, Dreadfort) so they have to keep it down so he doesn't become a caricature. For now he is just a wise right man/ adviser to Robb.

Archived