[Book Spoilers] Who is Talisa?

teemo

I think she's a likely Jeyne Westerling replacement. A sort of mystifying replacement, unless the producers think the whole Spicer/Westerling treachery subplot is too difficult for TV viewers to understand?

from everything i have read, she is essentially the same character with a different name.

Might be considered a spoiler

Its possible shes keeping her "true" identity from The King in the North as House Westerling in sworn to House Lannister, I really hope she isnt really some random girl from Voltanis. She also seemed to know a lot about the young man from Lannisport, which is likely as a Westerling, though she hasn't said how long she has been in Westeros.

She may just be a random girl Robb falls for and sleeps with that he then marries. They may drop the Lannister bannerman treachery subplot and just have her be a girl he falls in love with and leaves for the Frey's. I think it would be harder for the Frey's to stomach losing out to a random foreigner.

She may just be a random girl Robb falls for and sleeps with that he then marries. They may drop the Lannister bannerman treachery subplot and just have her be a girl he falls in love with and leaves for the Frey's. I think it would be harder for the Frey's to stomach losing out to a random foreigner.

I don't believe she'll turn out to be a commoner or a foreigner. Marriage alliances and dynastic succession are such a major element of the books, and also necessarily (though maybe less so) of the show. It would be a bit far fetched IMO if King Robb stooped to marrying a common girl. He cannot be that stupid. Marrying the daughter of a Lannister bannerman is enough insult to the Freys, since the important part of that is the breaking of the marriage contract.

I suspect Jeyne might have been on the battlefield as a healer, because she might be part of a religious order or something (on the show I mean), but she didn't want to give her identity away. But since on her mother's side she descends from a maegi from the east, the part about being from Volantis might have a grain of truth to it.

I assumed she was Jeyne from the moment she appeared on screen, but I must say the character is nothing like the Jeyne I had in my mind. I'm not talking about her physical appearance, that isn't really important to me. IIRC Jeyne seemed like the typical pretty and sweet lady, much like Sansa in the beginning of the series... I never imagined her sawing someones leg off on a battlefield! This Jeyne sure doesn't seem very likely to be afraid of Grey Wind like the one in the books. Might be they've made the change to make her a stronger female character so that it will be easier to understand how Robb loses his head and breaks his promise to marry one of the Freys...?

I assumed she was Jeyne from the moment she appeared on screen, but I must say the character is nothing like the Jeyne I had in my mind. I'm not talking about her physical appearance, that isn't really important to me. IIRC Jeyne seemed like the typical pretty and sweet lady, much like Sansa in the beginning of the series... I never imagined her sawing someones leg off on a battlefield! This Jeyne sure doesn't seem very likely to be afraid of Grey Wind like the one in the books. Might be they've made the change to make her a stronger female character so that it will be easier to understand how Robb loses his head and breaks his promise to marry one of the Freys...?

I agree that she just seemed different. I guess I would like her more if she was anyone else, but I'm not sure how I feel about her being Jeyne Westerling. it's definitely a change from the series.

I dont see that she is Jeyne. Why would she be helping the Silent Sisters? Even though she did not leave with them she was with them for the amputation and actually performed it. She seemed to have some connection to the Silent Sisters. I would be disappointed if that was Jeyne. The Westerling deception is too powerful to pass up, although it is another dark story and the series is already dark enough.

Whoever she is, the actress looks like how I always envisioned Asha Greyjoy.

I dont see that she is Jeyne. Why would she be helping the Silent Sisters? Even though she did not leave with them she was with them for the amputation and actually performed it. She seemed to have some connection to the Silent Sisters. I would be disappointed if that was Jeyne. The Westerling deception is too powerful to pass up, although it is another dark story and the series is already dark enough.

As someone pointed out upthread, the actress is listed as Jeyne. Her last name has not yet been revealed, I believe, but it's the same role as Jeyne Westerling. If they change her name to Lannister or something, well I think that's stupid, but less confusing for the viewers I guess. As for her connection to the Silent Sisters, she simply looked like a nurse.

I'm pretty sure she 'nursed' Robb back to health and that was how it happened and he ended up marrying her, so it's not too surprising they've given her a more obvious nursing role. Now if all goes to plan and she ends up nursing Robb later on, it'll be more believable. And I'm pretty sure that she's the same one we saw kissing Robb in the trailers.

Jeyne sleeps with Robb after HEALING him. They just set her up as a healer to make that less random when it happens.

About Jeyne healing Robb in the books: I never took that as meaning that Jeyne was particularly skilled at healing or that she was used to doing it, but rather as a "look, our pretty daughter will take care of you... please don't kill us!" from the Westerlings (later tieing in to their whole betrayal plot). If you've seen the film The Other Boleyn Girl, Mary Boleyn helps nurse King Henry VIII back to health after a hunting accident (I think)... I always thought the Robb/Jeyne thing was a bit similar, which is why I never envisioned Jeyne as some bad-ass nurse...

I don't necessarily have a problem with change in Jeyne Westerling's personality - I prefer the book character, but I'll accept a change of personality for the TV show - but I do have a problem with how she's introduced. The dialogue between her and Robb was pretty unrealistic and clumsily written, and IMO totally lacking in real chemistry of the Gendry/Arya kind. I suspect their relationship is going to build up like this now: Jeyne will keep up nagging him about the evil results of his war while Robb is impressed that she dares to disapprove of him. There will be lots of verbal sparring which won't exactly be demonstrations of rapier wit or crackling chemistry, until finally they end up sleeping together and the next morning Robb will be like, "ILU let's get married, besides my honor won't let me do anything else."

I always thought that the characterizations of Robb and Jon's ladies reflected their sisters. Robb is more like Sansa, and the girl he chose was a weaker, sweeter version of Sansa. Jon is more like Arya, and he chose a girl who was basically a poor man's Arya.

But it looks now that those parallels are off the table.

I understood it was supposed to be Jeyne Westerling? Well, all I can say about it is that the actress was amazing, but that's not the silly girl Robb ruins his life for in the books. And that pisses me, for I don't like the character or Robb's storyline, so why try to make it enjoyable? But that's just my irrational opinion, period.

I cant recall if we're told what battle Robb was actually hurt in, can anyone confirm this?

Lancel confirmed in this episode that is was Stafford Lannister's men that Robb attacked at the beginning, not sure if it was supposed to be Oxcross or

if Stafford died

But I really hope that Robb does still get injured at some point and this (weird) meeting was just so they didn't have to introduce a new character while Robbs injured. I expect less dialogue and more eyefu**ing (and then of course Real Fu**ing, HBO wouldnt miss that). I'm guessing they playup whatever the injury is + The news it happens to coincide with = Lots of crying/nursing/fu**ing.

Please dont be from Voltanis, surely its not that hard to throw in a scene explaining why its such a crazy move for Robb too

Betray the Freys(the worst people ever) & marry a vassal of House Lannister.

The entire scene was painful to watch, badly written: the dialogue was more appropriate for a teen rom-com than for a fantasy epic.

And if it is confirmed that she is indeed Jeyne, why, in the name of God, why? It make absolutely no sense that the daughter of a noble family in a world where women are chips for matrimonial alliances would even be allowed to roam battlefields on her own, false identity or not. Unless she has taken herself out of the "market" by joining a religious order. But not only does it not seem to be the case here, had Robb tried to sleep with and marry a nun the following shenanigans would have been of a very different nature, so that's out.

I agree they're setting her up as Dr. Jeyne, Medicine Woman, because that's how she and Robb meet. But yeah, totally random that a highborn maiden would be cruising around a battlefield sawing guys' legs off. Robb probably wouldn't even have spoken to her - she looks like (really, really hot) smallfolk.

Archived